PDA

View Full Version : DVD Collection - Q, V, and Z

The Dude
10-11-2005, 02:31 AM
So I realized today that my DVD collection of ~150 includes titles beginning with every letter of the alphabet except Q, V, and Z. I am now taking suggestions for which movies to buy to fill these gaps.

(Ignore articles starting titles like The Ref and A League Of Their Own.)

tdarko
10-11-2005, 02:33 AM
virgin suicides is a must.

mason55
10-11-2005, 02:34 AM
Zoolander

Claunchy
10-11-2005, 02:37 AM
http://img435.imageshack.us/img435/5193/quigley4kt.jpg

The Dude
10-11-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

TheBlueMonster
10-11-2005, 02:44 AM
Quiz Show (never seen but heard it's good)
Vertigo (!!!!!!!)
Zelig (Woody Allen movie)

imported_anacardo
10-11-2005, 02:45 AM
Quiz Show is a fine call. Do the Virgin Suicides - Zoolander - Quiz Show trio.

peachy
10-11-2005, 02:45 AM
Zoolander!!!

and the only ones with V i can think of are an old hitchcock - vertigo and that movie valentine

imported_anacardo
10-11-2005, 02:46 AM
One-word exclamations of pleasure!!!

[censored], I [censored] it up. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Claunchy
10-11-2005, 02:47 AM
Okay, so I guess Quiz Show is the obvious answer for Q, but c'mon. The Quigley Down Under pic was sorta funny, no?

[censored]
10-11-2005, 02:48 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005JLXB.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
The Quiet American proves that elegant and intelligent filmmaking can be emotionally powerful. Michael Caine plays Thomas Fowler, a British journalist in 1950s Vietnam with a lovely Vietnamese mistress named Phuong (Do Thi Hai Yen) and a jaded view of the political strife teeming around him. He befriends a seemingly innocuous American named Alden Pyle (Brendan Fraser), who falls in love with Phuong--and slowly, Pyle's real purpose in Vietnam becomes revealed. Fowler finds that, to hold on to the carefully balanced life he's created for himself, he must make choices he's long avoided. Caine and Fraser are both superb and give a human face to complicated politics; as a result, The Quiet American manages to be compelling as both history and a story about very specific people embroiled in a very personal conflict. An impressive film from director Philip Noyce (Rabbit-Proof Fence, Patriot Games). --Bret Fetzer

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazon rating 4.5stars

The Dude
10-11-2005, 02:49 AM
My girlfriend owns Zoolander, and I don't see much point in buying titles she already owns. Any other suggestions for Z? The Virgin Suicides I'll definately get, Quiz Show is a fine suggestions (although I'm open to alternatives), but I need a different Z.

TheBlueMonster
10-11-2005, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005JLXB.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]
ooooooh, good choice. I saw this last year and was blown away.

[censored]
10-11-2005, 02:51 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000063US3.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
In this 1982 courtroom drama written by David Mamet and directed by Sidney Lumet, Paul Newman found the perfect role for a transitional period of his stellar career. As alcoholic Boston lawyer Frank Galvin, Newman shook off his screen persona as a handsome, blue-eyed hunk to portray an aging, weary man whose best years are behind him, with a shot-glass future that looks very bleak indeed. But when Galvin is given a chance to redeem himself--by proving medical negligence in the case of a comatose woman--he makes one final effort to regain his self-respect and tarnished reputation. He's an underdog against formidable odds, facing a powerful, politically connected lawyer (James Mason, slick as ever) who will do anything to win his case, regardless of professional ethics. Further complicating matters is a woman (Charlotte Rampling) who only appears to be worthy of Galvin's trust and love, until Galvin's best friend and colleague (Jack Warden) proves otherwise. Excellent as both courtroom drama and riveting character study, the film crackles with Mamet's sharp dialogue; and Lumet's direction is a brilliant example of forceful restraint. The film gave Newman one of the best roles of his career; many felt he deserved the Oscar (he lost to Ben Kingsley in Gandhi) that would belatedly be given to Newman for The Color of Money. Along with Hud, Cool Hand Luke, and Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, The Verdict ranks highly as a signature performance by one of America's all-time greatest actors. --Jeff Shannon

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazon rating 5 stars

siccjay
10-11-2005, 02:51 AM
Varsity Blues

Vanilla Sky is worth the 5 bucks at Wal Mart.

Does "The Quick and the Dead" count? edit: i see it does

[censored]
10-11-2005, 02:54 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005JKIF.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Costa-Gavras's Z, winner of the 1970 Academy Award for Best Foreign Film, is a classic political thriller, combining intrigue with raw emotional power. The story turns on the investigation of the assassination of a left-wing Greek politician (Yves Montand), and his government's attempts to cover up the murky circumstances. Montand receives death threats as he prepares to give a speech condemning the government, and is then run down in front of numerous witnesses. Jean-Louis Trintignant (The Conformist) plays the judge assigned to the investigation, who gradually discovers how far the state will go to rid itself of political opposition. As he is warned off the case by his superiors, the judge becomes even more determined to discover the truth, no matter where it might lead. Costa-Gavras (Missing, Mad City) is in familiar territory here, but no one handles this type of material better. Z is a classic of political intrigue and social consciousness. --Robert Lane

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazon rating 4.5 stars

peachy
10-11-2005, 02:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Varsity Blues

Vanilla Sky is worth the 5 bucks at Wal Mart.

Does "The Quick and the Dead" count? edit: i see it does

[/ QUOTE ]

ooooo i was just about to name these damn u!!! i like and own all 3 of those

siccjay
10-11-2005, 02:59 AM
These are the only 3 from these letters that I own. No Z's.

andyfox
10-11-2005, 03:00 AM
Fantastic movie. Made when Costa-Gravas was a firebrand. Definitely the "Z" choice.

bernie
10-11-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's kind of a cool flick. Laura San Gaucaomo looked good in it too, imo. Long before her granola girl look on TV.

But Quiz Show is a much better choice. I'm suprised you haven't seen it yet.

b

andyfox
10-11-2005, 03:06 AM
Vertigo is Hitchcock's masterpiece. Perhaps the greatest ending of any movie ever made.

Z is a great movie. Costa-Gravas got soft and fuzzy later on; this one is the real thing.

Quiz Show is a fine movie; it even has Barry Levinson and Martin Scorsese acting in it. I liked The Quick and the Dead, even though it's a parody of Sergio Leone's parodies, with Gene Hackman making fun of his role in Unforgiven, and with Russel Crowe and Leo DiCaprio in supporting roles Hard to believe that Sharon Stone was a bigger star than they were at the time.

diebitter
10-11-2005, 03:07 AM
From my own collection:

Q:Quatermass films (x3), Quick and the Dead, Quadrophenia, Quiet Earth

V: Vamp, Vampire Circus, Vampire Lovers, Vertigo, Videodrome, Vikings, Village, Village of the Damned, Violent Cop, Virgin Spring, Very Bad Things

Z: Zatoichi (old and new versions), Zu Warriors, Zulu, Zoolander

Claunchy
10-11-2005, 03:09 AM
What movie do you own that starts with X? X-Men?

peachy
10-11-2005, 03:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Vertigo is Hitchcock's masterpiece. Perhaps the greatest ending of any movie ever made.

Z is a great movie. Costa-Gravas got soft and fuzzy later on; this one is the real thing.

Quiz Show is a fine movie; it even has Barry Levinson and Martin Scorsese acting in it. I liked The Quick and the Dead, even though it's a parody of Sergio Leone's parodies, with Gene Hackman making fun of his role in Unforgiven, and with Russel Crowe and Leo DiCaprio in supporting roles Hard to believe that Sharon Stone was a bigger star than they were at the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i also loved north by northwest and what about harry with shirley mcclaine (one of his lesser known most wont know it)

birds kinda has a special places cause it was my moms fav so when growing up me and her would always watch it together

peachy
10-11-2005, 03:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
From my own collection:

V: Vamp, Vampire Circus, Vampire Lovers, Vertigo, Videodrome, Vikings, Village, Village of the Damned, Violent Cop, Virgin Spring, Very Bad Things

[/ QUOTE ]

ah i have very bad things too!! that movies halarious!!!

this might help some...

DVDs (http://www.intervocative.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Mer)

it hasnt been updated in over 2 years or so....so itll be missing about 200 or so dvds but oh well

diebitter
10-11-2005, 03:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

X2,X2,XXX,X-Files (TV show), there's also a weird little horror film called Xtro that's worth a look, but I haven't got that one.

The Dude
10-11-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, X-Men and X-2.

And now that I look, J and Y are the only ones I have just one title in. (Jaws and Y Tu Mama Tambien)

Which makes me think of a question. I mentioned that articles starting titles don't count when alphabetizing (The Godfather goes under G and A League of Their Own goes under L). But how about foreign titles? Somehow it doesn't quite seem right to put Les Miserables under M or Y Tu Mama Tambien under T or M. What do you guys think?

SCfuji
10-11-2005, 03:22 AM
heard zeta jones was hot in zorro. if this is true you should buy it!

The Dude
10-11-2005, 03:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
heard zeta jones was hot in zorro. if this is true you should buy it!

[/ QUOTE ]
The Mask Of Zorro does not go under Z.

Brainwalter
10-11-2005, 03:24 AM
Well "Y" isn't an article but I would lean toward filing Les Miserables under L and Y Tu Mama under Y.

SCfuji
10-11-2005, 03:26 AM
oh didnt know it was "mask of zorro" thought it was just zorro. sorry. i have failed you.

The Dude
10-11-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well "Y" isn't an article but I would lean toward filing Y Tu Mama under Y.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know. But it feels like a word that perhaps ought to be ignored it alphabetizing, right? FWIW "the," "an," and "a" are the only words that I've had to ignore when filing so far. What do you guys think about me filing Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events under S? If I put it under L I'd have to put Bram Stoker's Dracula under B to stay consistent, right?

KDawgCometh
10-11-2005, 03:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Z: Zatoichi (old and new versions

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, I was gonna say this hoping that noone mentioned it so that I could think of myself as cool /images/graemlins/cool.gif. I love the newest one with Kitano, This is a great addition to a collection

also, as people have said, Quiz Show is really good, I'd also recomend Quadrophenia. Not only do you have some of the Who's best music, its a damn good film to watch too

KDawgCometh
10-11-2005, 03:30 AM
I'd put it under S myself

Blarg
10-11-2005, 03:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quiz Show (never seen but heard it's good)
Vertigo (!!!!!!!)
Zelig (Woody Allen movie)

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent choices.

Of the three, I'd say Vertigo is the most highly rewatchable, and Quiz Show has the best acting, and of course Zelig is the funniest.

Blarg
10-11-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
From my own collection:

[/ QUOTE ]

Some good suggestions there. I bolded the ones I particularly liked. Some I didn't see, but want to, like Quadrophenia.

MyTurn2Raise
10-11-2005, 03:37 AM
I cannot believe you don't have Varsity Blues. Best pre-drinking movie ever. I commonly go by Jonny_Moxon /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Blarg
10-11-2005, 03:40 AM
I'd put the Lemony under L, because it's part of a series of original books and because the people I've heard talking about both the book and the movie link up the whole title into one big glop starting with Lemony, or just say Lemony Snickets and forget the rest.

I'd put Bram Stoker's Dracula under Dracula, myself, the same way I'd put The Last Dragon under L, instead of B for Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon, which is its real name.

Blarg
10-11-2005, 03:42 AM
I'm bummed everyone named the only ones I could think of besides two I haven't seen, Quimby Goes Down and Viva Zapata. I think the latter is supposed to be pretty good.

Brainwalter
10-11-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd put the Lemony under L, because it's part of a series of original books and because the people I've heard talking about both the book and the movie link up the whole title into one big glop starting with Lemony, or just say Lemony Snickets and forget the rest.

I'd put Bram Stoker's Dracula under Dracula, myself, the same way I'd put The Last Dragon under L, instead of B for Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon, which is its real name.

[/ QUOTE ]

diebitter
10-11-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Some I didn't see, but want to, like Quadrophenia.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's about as realistic a film as you can see about working-class British youth (up to the point the postie 'kills his scooter', anyway).

so ni han sah.

captZEEbo1
10-11-2005, 04:24 AM
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0383694/58f.jpg
Vera Drake-imdb (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0383694/)

10-11-2005, 04:34 AM
V for Vendetta (http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/trailer.html) should be released on DVD in about a year. It may be worthy of owning.

diebitter
10-11-2005, 05:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

And now that I look, J and Y are the only ones I have just one title in.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're missing out.

J: Jackie Brown, Jason and the Argonauts, Jason X, Jay and Silent Bob strike back, The Jerk, Jerry Macguire, Jersey Girl, JFK, Johnny Dangerously, Johnny Guitar, Jungle Book, Jurrasic Park

Y: Yellow Submarine, Yojimbo, You only live twice (awesome music!), Young Frankenstein

Blarg
10-11-2005, 05:23 AM
Jacob's Ladder

The Dude
10-11-2005, 05:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
And now that I look, J and Y are the only ones I have just one title in. [ QUOTE ]
You're missing out....

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Look, man. There are a million titles I'm missing out by not owning. I'm working on it.

diebitter
10-11-2005, 05:33 AM
Easy now. Just trying to help with it, not punking you.

You asked for suggestions for the three letters, then threw in some more, I answered civilly to the first, and then to the second.

Am I missing something?

The Dude
10-11-2005, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You asked for suggestions for the three letters, then threw in some more, I answered civilly to the first, and then to the second.

Am I missing something?

[/ QUOTE ]
Who's touchy?

I wasn't really asking for titles for J or Y. That was more in response to another poster asking which "one" I had for X. I don't really mind hearing suggestions for those, but you threw out too many titles for me to think "sure, I'll go pick those up the next time I'm at the store." So I replied with "I'm working on it."

My response was pretty civil, am I missing something here?

diebitter
10-11-2005, 05:59 AM
No, I think the limitations of text as a means to communicate has conveyed things that weren't intended and were never there.

We're cool. Like the Fonz

The Dude
10-11-2005, 06:13 AM
F*ck it dude, let's go bowling.

diebitter
10-11-2005, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
F*ck it dude, let's go whoring

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP /images/graemlins/wink.gif

peachy
10-11-2005, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
F*ck it dude, let's go bowling.

[/ QUOTE ]

i wanna go /images/graemlins/frown.gif

diebitter
10-11-2005, 06:15 AM
You best check my suggested amendment, peach.

But if you bring a video camera, what the hey... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Welll, another thread hijacked. Next!

peachy
10-11-2005, 06:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You best check my suggested amendment, peach.

But if you bring a video camera, what the hey... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Welll, another thread hijacked. Next!

[/ QUOTE ]

ill do either!!! anything not to go take this midterm in a few hrs /images/graemlins/frown.gif

flatline
10-11-2005, 08:47 AM
Come on now, no one has mentioned Victory. You can also cure your lack of soccer movies.

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/543/630477966601sclzzzzzzz6zx.jpg

Amazon review:
Fans of The Great Escape and The Longest Yard will cheer venerable director John Huston's rousing 1981 adventure that pits Allied prisoners of war against their German captors in a soccer match. Michael Caine, who starred in Huston's The Man Who Would Be King, heads an international all-star cast as true-Brit John Colby, a former soccer champion, who heads the rag-tag squad. Max Von Sydow costars as the humane German officer who proposes the match, improbably staged for maximum propaganda impact in a stadium in Paris. As the Allied team, which includes real-life soccer legends Pele and Bobby Moore, practices, the officers' only goal is an audacious half-time escape. Sylvester Stallone is somewhat out of his league as the American determined to join the team. As an actor, Pele may not be on the same playing field as his Oscar-winning costars, but he is thrilling to watch as he executes some awesome, game-winning kicks.

diebitter
10-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Hell, is this the perfect English film? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

A football game against nazis during the second world war...

I've just got to go wrap the Union Jack around me while I'm working now...

imported_The Vibesman
10-11-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Vampire Circus.....Xtro

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I haven't seen either of these weird, cool little movies in years. Good stuff, diebitter.

diebitter
10-11-2005, 10:11 AM
no prob.

Xtro is a classic 'the one where...' horror film.

It's the 'one where a woman gives birth to a fully grown man'. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Y'know I think there's a thread buried in this somewhere...

John Cole
10-11-2005, 04:56 PM
The Quiet Man

Vanya on 42nd Street

A Zed and Two Naughts