PDA

View Full Version : Praying Centers in Los Angeles area

10-11-2005, 02:16 AM
Hi,

This is my first post. I was wondering if any of you guys know of any church in the Los Angeles/Orange County area where you can go inside and pray. I'm not sure what the correct term is but it's basically one of those places where you can sit down and pray without anyone bothering you or asking you questions. Not a formal service or anything but those places you see in movies where a person goes to confess his/her sins and can even light a candle I think.

I assume these places are open 24 hrs a day and I'd like to go now but don't know of any place and I tried googling one but can't seem to find one, probably because I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.

Please help. Thanks.

CrazyEyez
10-11-2005, 02:17 AM
This is too weird to be real, but if it's a gimmick I don't get it.

TheBlueMonster
10-11-2005, 02:17 AM
got a lot of sins do ya?

rohjoh
10-11-2005, 02:19 AM
try the church of scientology... They got one in LA

10-11-2005, 02:23 AM
Why do you need to pray in a church like the movies? Letting popular media shape your spirituality seems dumb.

ptmusic
10-11-2005, 02:26 AM
During the day, there is a great place to go where no one bothers you. It's on the south side of Sunset Blvd. about 1/2 a mile east of the beach (where Gladstone's is). It's called something like Meditation Lake - it's an outdoor lake/pond that you walk around in silence at your own pace. Keep walking and thinking until you've worked things out.

There are benches you can sit on. There are great displays honoring all the major religions of the world (even some of Ghandi's ashes). The natural setting is very peaceful. There is also a chapel you can go in if nothing is going on in there.

But the whole thing is open only during the day I believe. At night - I'm not sure. I've just walked into random churches sometimes. I usually don't get hassled by anyone.

-ptmusic

Richard Tanner
10-11-2005, 02:29 AM
He said where no one will bother him, this, I assume, includes people trying to brainwash you into a cult.

Cody

10-11-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
During the day, there is a great place to go where no one bothers you. It's on the south side of Sunset Blvd. about 1/2 a mile east of the beach (where Gladstone's is). It's called something like Meditation Lake - it's an outdoor lake/pond that you walk around in silence at your own pace. Keep walking and thinking until you've worked things out.

There are benches you can sit on. There are great displays honoring all the major religions of the world (even some of Ghandi's ashes). The natural setting is very peaceful. There is also a chapel you can go in if nothing is going on in there.

But the whole thing is open only during the day I believe. At night - I'm not sure. I've just walked into random churches sometimes. I usually don't get hassled by anyone.

-ptmusic

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. The place you described sounds nice. If you don't mind, would you suggest a church I can go to now? I assume there has to be a 24 hr praying center somewhere in the L.A./O.C. district. I'd rather not wait until tomorrow.

For the other posters, no I don't let 'media' dictate my religion. I'm a non-practicing Christian and the example I gave in my original post was to help describe what it is I'm looking for. I don't know the exact term nor do I know of any other examples or ways to describe them so I chose to include the movie example in hopes of someone being able to picture what it is I'm describing. For example, in the movie 'Home Alone' I believe, 'Kevin' goes inside one of these churches as a way of asking God to forgive him for doing wrong to his family I believe. This is right before he pranks his house for the villains.

No, this is not a gimmick account. I don't understand why you would say that. I've been a long time browser and I haven't posted before because I'm happy with just being an 'observer'. Why would you say this is weird?

And yes, I do have lots of sins. I think everyone does, whether you can admit them or not. This is my personal opinion of course.

ptmusic
10-11-2005, 02:41 AM
Sorry - I really don't know of any churches open right now for sure. There's a big church on Highland and Franklin in Hollywood that might be open. But I have no idea - don't try it unless that's close to where you are.

Good luck.

-ptmusic

10-11-2005, 02:42 AM
The church of OOT is all you need. What are your sins my son?

Mason Hellmuth
10-11-2005, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
'Kevin' goes inside one of these churches as a way of asking God to forgive him for doing wrong to his family I believe. This is right before he pranks his house for the villains.

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome.

http://img438.imageshack.us/img438/3916/inhaltsnlneu612pn.jpg

BruinEric
10-11-2005, 01:48 PM
I wasn't planning to post until I saw that no one had a suggestion for you.

If I recall correctly, just about any Catholic Church keeps their sanctuary unlocked and often have parishoners praying in a pew. Find one nearby and just try the doors. Just sit in a pew and/or kneel and no one will give you a hard time -- they may offer to talk but won't be pushy, I'm sure.

I'm an Evangelical Protestant, so take that suggestion with a bit of salt.

It is quite possible that an Episcopal Church near you has the same approach.

brick
10-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Here ya go. I'll pray for you.

http://www.ochouseofprayer.org/

DasLeben
10-11-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you need to pray in a church like the movies? Letting popular media shape your spirituality seems dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

You really are kind of a tool. I don't think this is what he meant at all.

Los Feliz Slim
10-11-2005, 03:00 PM
I'm not all all religious, but I've been to an amazing place in Malibu called the Serra Retreat. It's right off PCH near Malibu Country Mart. It's a Christian monastery of some sort, not sure of the order. If I needed a place to pray, this is where I would go.

gulebjorn
10-11-2005, 03:19 PM
I believe there's one called the Commerce.