PDA

View Full Version : "Lucky" marathon tonight

TimTimSalabim
05-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Well, this must be a good sign for ratings that FX is showing every episode tonight, in prime time. Or a sign that they're trying to stoke up the ratings. Or maybe it means nothing at all. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif But at any rate, for those of you who are saying you wanted to catch up on what you missed, now's your chance.

Bill Murphy
05-26-2003, 06:22 PM
..and they're showing as MASH marathon and just one Lucky episode at 8:30. Whassup? I got Comcast, BTW.

Bill Murphy
05-26-2003, 06:48 PM
tvguide.com sez Lucky marathon starts at 8:30. Show guide on the TV itself is always off. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Thanks for the headsup; wanna see the first episode, anyway.

TimTimSalabim
05-26-2003, 08:05 PM
Well, who knows which listing to trust. My Tivo says it starts at 7:30. Probably varies depending on your time zone and such.

Bill Murphy
05-27-2003, 12:08 AM
"Black Betty", whatta great gambling/hustler song, ever since "Blow".

Dan Hedaya, great stunt cast, although I can see him becoming a caricature. Like some of the bit players, like The Trake & Murry.

The two sidekick guys are funny. White guy reminds me a bit of John Candy. Glad they don't make a big deal outta the other guy being black.

Meat War=funny. Golf cart jousting=funny.

Triple-cross on the grifter girl was cool.

Relationship w/realtor girl sorta came outta nowhere; now she's divorced?!

Not really about poker, but it's in Vegas, so its cool. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

sucka
05-27-2003, 12:54 AM
Not really about poker, but it's in Vegas, so its cool.

Unfortunately, that's all this show has going for it. Historically speaking, I've sat through some real losers before but this series is just awful.

I -HAD- my TIVO setup to record the episodes but when it started barking at me to record every hour this evening I just told it to quit recording it...for good.

I honestly don't know how you guys sit through that show.

Bill Murphy
05-27-2003, 01:12 AM
FOLDING QUADS??? Get dafuggoutta heah!

Realtor chick kinda looks like Uma Thurman.

Fatboy channeling Burgess Meredith w/Rocky the chicken=funny.

Reverse tell was cool, as was the "Color Of Money"-like double-cross betting.

Championship bracelet and Wall of Champs looks nicer than Binion's; no crowbar marks.

Tweeker on the doormat brought back bad memories.

"I'm a resol, baby; so why don't you kill me..." /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Bill Murphy
05-27-2003, 01:15 AM
"OOO-oohhh Black Betty, bambalam, whoooaaa Black Betty, bambalam; Black Betty had a child, bambalam, damn thing gone wild, bambalam..." /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Bill Murphy
05-27-2003, 02:16 AM
Dead wife ghost=lame.

Crooked cop w/jesus shtick=lame.

Rain boy=lame.

Realtor chick's ass=great.

Coors Light commercial that mixes "Kings Of Rock", "Wanna Be A Rock n' Roll Star" & "Rock You Like A Hurricane"=Trippy, man.

Poker stuff on show=At least as good as the poker stuff in Rounders.

Show's better than any of that reality stuff, or Ray Romano or Jim Belushi. I'm watching, I guess.

Seen part of a "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" special today. They was bringing back people that got nothing their first time on. Jaysus, it was tragicomic; sorta like an intellectual "Bumfights".

Suppose I shoulda started my homework for the weekend before now... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Jimbo
05-27-2003, 06:35 PM
The first time I ever heard that song play it was on a jukebox in a pool hall in Waco, Texas. I was bent over preparing to shoot when the song began playing I got in this groove and played the best I ever remember. I strung rack after rack and started feeding the jukebox quarters just to hear the song play over and over again. I don't know if it was my scorching the table that session or my continuous play of the Doobies that caused my opposition to quit. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Bill Murphy
05-27-2003, 07:09 PM
Nit alert: Wasn't the Doobies, although they were likely being channelled. One hit wonder band called Ram Jam.

Black Betty is certainly a better song than China Grove or Blackwater, which RJ was obv'lly going for. I used to think it was the Doobs, masel. I actually hate pre-Michael McDonald era Doobs, mostly due to radio overplay of the 2-3 big hits.

Black Betty was, I believe, written by Hudie Leadbetter who I think also wrote In The Pines aka Where Did You Sleep Last Night which was memorably covered by Nirvana(long rumored to be meant for Courtney), on the Unplugged album, and inexcusably left off the recent Nirvana compilation.