PDA

View Full Version : K-Js

02-20-2002, 11:15 AM
I'm curious how others would have played this. The more I think about it the worse it seems.

LL online game. I am in middle position with KhJh. Solid Early player raises. I know all the warnings about K-J against raises, but because it's suited I call (?). Who calls who folds?

Button calls and BB calls. 8 1/2 small bets.

Flop is Kc Js 5h. EP bets out. I raise (I think most will agree with this??). Button calls /images/frown.gif

BB folds and EP calls. 14 1/2 small bets.

Turn is the Ad. 'yuck'. EP bets.

what is your play from here??

Results to follow.

02-20-2002, 11:23 AM
I didn't think this through very well. There are not many hands of his now that I can beat, plus there is the button who hasn't gone away.

Of the likely hands the EP could raise with, A-Q or K-Q would be the only ones I could beat. A-A, K-K, J-J, A-J or A-K are all ahead of me. Q-Q or T-T would probably have slowed down by now.

If I had thought all this through I probably would have folded. I called and the button folded.

River was a 2. EP bet again and I called.

He had A-Q and I won an 11 big bet pot.

Despite the result, I'm not sure it was the play. Was this a case of raise or fold on the turn? Or was this one of those times where just calling was justified??

Thanks for any suggestions.

02-20-2002, 11:54 AM
Pre-flop: HORRIBLE call. What is he raising with the does not have you dominated? AQ, TT and 99 are the only reasonible hands and you don't want to be against any of those either.

Flop: correct

Turn: you certainly cannot fold. The choice is calling down or raising. Personally, I like calling it down. If he caught two pair you lose the least. If he is bluffing at the A or has a weak A that he would fold to a raise, you get more money out of him. If he checks the rievr you must bet.

Regards,

Paul Talbot

02-20-2002, 12:45 PM
Well think about it this way. A solid, aggressive opponent would 3 bet the flop with AK or AA and lead the turn. He would checkraise the turn with KK or JJ, and probably AJ. He would check (fold) QQ TT. What hands would he lead the turn on after you raised the flop, representing a king? AQ or AT is about it. I would raise the turn, and fold if 3 bet.

The preflop cold call isnt good. If you were on the button or the big blind and the CO open-raised, sure. If 3-4 other people cold called I might be tempted to look at the flop for the straight/flush possibilities. Other than that toss it to an early raise or someone with tight raising standards. But don't listen to me, I was in that same game last night, I dropped 15 big bets in a hour and then you leave before I get it all back from that terrible SLOW fish in seat 1, heh.

02-20-2002, 03:25 PM
Glad to here you got it back. I couldn't stay awake any later. I remember that guy, must have a terrible connection.

It seems I played it poorly pre-flop and too passively post-flop. Just one of those times when you get SH** Lucky.

The hand you posted wasn't the one I was thinking about, but I remember it now. You sucked me in good by checking the turn. I will remember that.

See you online!!