PDA

View Full Version : Fold or go for a squeeze?

AtticusFinch
10-11-2005, 01:06 AM
UTG is looser than I am, but not a maniac.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t800 (9 handed) wacki's version of bison (http://parazen.bio.indiana.edu/cgi-bin/tc.cgi)

UTG (t33460)
UTG+1 (t61390)
MP1 (t4217)
MP2 (t19641)
MP3 (t18586)
CO (t19361)
Hero (t24407)
SB (t10495)
BB (t61258)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9 h, 9 c.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t2400</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls t2400

Hero?

Lloyd
10-11-2005, 01:11 AM
When you talk about a squeeze plan, as explained by Harrington, it has more to do with the aggressiveness of the initial raiser and the intelligence of the caller to pick up on the fact that the initial raiser is being aggressive, and therefore could have less than a premium hand. It doesn't have as much to do with your hand as your opponents.

My default here would be to call and play for set value. If my opponents fall into the categories above then I might consider pushing. But pushing is a pretty big overbet so with your stack I doubt that I would. If your stack was smaller than it's a great way of picking up the pot and you wouldn't be able to call for set value anyway.

AtticusFinch
10-11-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

My default here would be to call and play for set value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say you call and get an overpair. Line?

betgo
10-11-2005, 01:20 AM
Call. An overbet push into the UTG raiser is too dangerous.

Lloyd
10-11-2005, 01:29 AM
Post deleted by Lloyd

JustPlayingSmart
10-11-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Say you call and get an overpair. Line?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since this is 3-handed, your opponent is going to play more straightforward. If he made a strong postflop bet and the middle player folded, I would strongly consider folding.

I think a lot of people would argue against it, but sometimes I call a bet on the flop and try to check it down. Very rarely would sometime fire a 2nd barrel with overcards after you call a flop bet. Obviously, that leaves you vulnerable to him hitting one of his overcards, but it also controls the pot size. If he does bet a 2nd time, I would most likely give him credit for the big pair and muck the turn.

adanthar
10-11-2005, 08:06 AM
He's on the button, if he gets to lead out the hand is easy /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I call and play for a set, too, but what happens on the flop has a lot to do with bet sizes. I'm not opposed to folding an overpair at all, it just depends on the situation.

A_PLUS
10-11-2005, 10:13 AM
I would consider folding an OP to a &gt; 75% pot bet and a call, or something similar. I dont feel good about playing a huge 3-way pot with 99.

I think I call a push from the original raiser, that is AK - AQ often enough for me.

I am more worried about MP's actions. EP will lead at a lot of flops, MP is much more likely to have a made hand if they lead or call, but a made hand does not mean better than 99 necessarily.

KramerTM
10-11-2005, 11:20 AM
I fold here. An UTG raise is a little scary. The call for 15% of MP3's stack scares me even more though.

KramerTM
10-11-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold here. An UTG raise is a little scary. The call for 15% of MP3's stack scares me even more though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I changed my mind. Call since you are on the button.

My question is... how do you play when the flop comes 852 rainbow and you are bet into by UTG?

Nordberg
10-11-2005, 11:34 AM
I think you can call off 10% of your stack here for a set. If you had 16000 I would probably jam.

Lloyd
10-11-2005, 11:58 AM
duh. I just had it fixed in my mind that he was in the BB. Still the general principal applies in that there are many different ways you can play an overpair in this type of hand and you're just going to have to play some poker and do your best at interpreting the action on the flop within the context of the flop texture. The raiser is less likely to bet into two pre-flop callers with overcards than if there was just one opponent. Of course, being on the button if checked to a bet could just be interpreted as a steal and could face a re-steal attempt. This is one of those problems with the tournament structure in that you can easily commit yourself to this hand with an overpair so you have to play very carefully. Just playing for set value isn't a horrible option (in which case you'd just check and hope to make a set or see a free showdown).

play2win
10-11-2005, 12:00 PM
This is only a 3X BB raise, I call here all day.

Being on the button makes this a great hand. You will have all the information from the other players (maybe you will see a call from the BB) and be able to make an informed decision.

I am not 100% but I believe Harrington and others suggest NOT to raise here. The justification was that you might have the player move all-in UTG at which point you will be unhappy. Also you might have flopped a set and got some extra chips out of the other players. Being that a set of 9's is very strong where a pair is hard to play given the setting.

There are tons of possiblites after the flop, but that is how I would play it PF. /images/graemlins/spade.gif

KramerTM
10-11-2005, 12:24 PM
PF decision doesn't intrigue me much here. I think this hand can get real juicy and questionable on the flop.