PDA

View Full Version : Modern adjectives you hate

10-10-2005, 11:25 PM
Obviously there is always new lingo out there and new adjectives like "that's so chill." What is the one you hate the most?

Mine is legit.
"What'd you think of that party?"
"It was legit..." HATE IT.

Blarg
10-10-2005, 11:27 PM
Those aren't adjectives.

Sounds like you mean, phrases you don't like.

PocketJokers72
10-10-2005, 11:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fo shizzle.

10-10-2005, 11:31 PM
Thanks meant phrases anyways anyone have any?

thegrammarnazi
10-10-2005, 11:32 PM
"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion."

illusionS
10-10-2005, 11:35 PM
Anytime someone says "chillax" I get the urge to commit a felony.

tonypaladino
I like when nouns are turned into verbs. I think it was in calvin and hobbes, calvin points out the "verbing" of nouns.

I like "friending", which is used by a lot of dumbasses on My Space and Friendset, "dude, I friended you on myspace"

mrgold
Get your *any word in the whole [censored] language apparently* on

tonypaladino
10-10-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love nothing more than to "chillax", Amanda.

Brainwalter
10-10-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Those aren't adjectives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chill and legit are used as adjectives in the sentences he mentioned.

Adam Carolla
10-10-2005, 11:55 PM
"Everything happens for a reason."

ddubois
10-10-2005, 11:59 PM
Freakin fabulous

BusterStacks
10-10-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is a huge load of BS that I hear all the time.

illusionS
10-11-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a girlfriend who used this one almost daily. She really felt like it justified every stupid [censored] thing that happened. Sweet girl, but not much of a thinker.

Blarg
10-11-2005, 12:10 AM
I can't stand this one too. It has an ugly and disrespectful way of trivializing bad things, sometimes right to the face of the person the bad things are happening to.

offTopic
10-11-2005, 12:26 AM
"Gold". It's beyond overused, and, given the intended meaning, it's virtually always incorrect in its application.

10-11-2005, 12:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This answer is an extreme cop out that gives way to the sort of self-pitying "oh well" sort of thinking. We are all outraged at this.

waffle
10-11-2005, 12:35 AM
adjective: "crunk", "tight"

adverb: "totally"

verb: "fail"

tone: ironic (usually puncutated with a lot of LOLs, OMGs, or totally awesomes, but it's supposed to be ok since they're used in an ironic fasion)

noun: "blogosphere", "donk"

phrase/sentiment: "You have too much time on your hands." um, whatever. go back to watching friends.

10-11-2005, 12:36 AM
On a side note I think the adjectivial (is that even a word?) use of the word 'ninja' (EG That's a f4ckin ninja line) is quite 'legit'.

10-11-2005, 12:37 AM
"chillax", "ginormous", "Chrismukkah", and any other goddamn phony compound word these assholes can come up with.

waffle
10-11-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
any other goddamn phony compound word these assholes can come up with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I make an exception for "shenanery". It's a good one.

bwana devil
10-11-2005, 12:41 AM
i get soooo tired of hearing,

"stop screwing the hooker. she's dead."

diebitter
10-11-2005, 12:50 AM
The use of 'literally' when they mean 'metaphorically', as a device to emphasise your statement. It pisses me off, and if used, you should have the thing in question done to you.

'He literally kills me...' - BLAM!

Kaeser
10-11-2005, 12:52 AM
I'm an idiot was does "chillax" mean?

apd138
10-11-2005, 12:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chillax

theben
10-11-2005, 12:58 AM
anything from 'the hood'

bwana devil
10-11-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The use of 'literally' when they mean 'metaphorically', as a device to emphasise your statement. It pisses me off, and if used, you should have the thing in question done to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

but does it literally piss you off?

yeah heard a news report where some people were "down at the courthouse literally walking on eggshells waiting for the verdict." annoying. read a dictionary.

bwana

Kaeser
10-11-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chillax

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, now that I know what it means I hate it.

Blarg
10-11-2005, 01:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I see this a lot. For some reason, newscasters seem addicted to it. "The crowd is so big, the stadium is literally exploding!" "That answer literally blew him away!"

WTF? They're just words; learn how to use them.

Thythe
10-11-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I like when nouns are turned into verbs. I think it was in calvin and hobbes, calvin points out the "verbing" of nouns.

I like "friending", which is used by a lot of dumbasses on My Space and Friendset, "dude, I friended you on myspace"

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hate this too. Rarely heard, but always annoying is when scrapbook is used as a verb..."I've been scrapbooking" Uhhhh...

There's some college (I've never even heard of it) that puts together a list of banished words and phrases. Most of the stuff mentioned here ends up on there eventually. Here's the 2005 list: http://www.lssu.edu/banished/current.php
It's a little off topic, but funny and entertaining.

Claunchy
10-11-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I see this a lot. For some reason, newscasters seem addicted to it. "The crowd is so big, the stadium is literally exploding!" "That answer literally blew him away!"

WTF? They're just words; learn how to use them.

[/ QUOTE ]
David Cross does a bit on this that's literally the funniest thing ever.

bobbyi
10-11-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love nothing more than to "chillax", Amanda.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is authentic vernacular? I assumed it was invented for that episode.

Blarg
10-11-2005, 01:24 AM
Yeah verbing bugs me too. It almost always seems cheesy or somehow grates on the ear.

I've heard the scrapbooking one before, and that one always struck me as stupid too.

Business in the 80's and 90's was coining cheesy new words at a really quick clip, and it became popular to apply them outside the business world. They did lots of grotesque verbing there.

blaze666
10-11-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Obviously there is always new lingo out there and new adjectives like "that's so chill." What is the one you hate the most?

Mine is legit.
"What'd you think of that party?"
"It was legit..." HATE IT.

[/ QUOTE ]
literally ANY term that is widespread used, and slang. for example, cool, i always use it when i talk, if i can't think of a more imaginative synonym, but if im on messenger, i feel stupid typing it our explicitly. i usually say something like exellent, bodacious, or bangin' i.e, that party last night was bangin'!

oddjob
10-11-2005, 01:34 AM
stoked

Blarg
10-11-2005, 01:55 AM
I got a chuckle seeing you say that using and typing out bodacious and bangin' don't make you feel as stupid as doing the same with cool.

blaze666
10-11-2005, 12:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got a chuckle seeing you say that using and typing out bodacious and bangin' don't make you feel as stupid as doing the same with cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats because they are so obviously stupid, that [most]people know im not using them seriously.

pokerdirty
10-11-2005, 12:28 PM
every time i hear 'hella' i cringe /images/graemlins/mad.gif

CollinEstes
10-11-2005, 12:49 PM
I can't stand to hear those fags say "Noob" or "Pwned" those are really the worst.

TheBlueMonster
10-11-2005, 12:55 PM
pro-active

FouTight
10-11-2005, 12:57 PM
"Ignorant" has been used so... ignorantly for so long, it actually took on a new meaning, which I refuse to respect.

as far as I'm concerened, it's not a synonym for "Rude".

coffeecrazy1
10-11-2005, 01:03 PM
Can't believe no one has brought up the most idiotic word of the last 25 years: PHAT.

Seriously...how did someone decide that a fabricated homonym for overweight would be a way to express approval? Inevitably, whenever used in speech, people have to clarify that it's "P-H" not "F." Argh. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Stacheman
10-11-2005, 01:30 PM
When someone starts a conversation/story with "Can I just tell you....". You're going to tell me anyway, so just f'n say it. I've caught myself doing it a couple of times and considered electroshock therapy.

DMBFan23
10-11-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can't believe no one has brought up the most idiotic word of the last 25 years: PHAT.

Seriously...how did someone decide that a fabricated homonym for overweight would be a way to express approval? Inevitably, whenever used in speech, people have to clarify that it's "P-H" not "F." Argh. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

my favorite part about this one is that people ask you to clarify when the answer is obvious...

"dude, that album is phat"

"uh, do you mean P-H phat or F fat? hahahaha"

"I meant that the album has a little bit of a weight problem, but nothing too serious. really it's not even that he's fat it's just that he's big boned."

jojobinks
10-11-2005, 01:42 PM
too much information! (followed by lol roflmao)

diebitter
10-11-2005, 01:53 PM
"it goes without saying..."

Well, STFU then! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

Dominic
10-11-2005, 03:20 PM
"penultimate"

PITTM
10-11-2005, 03:22 PM
my least favorite phrase and most overused by people in sports in general is "it is what it is". oh, thanks for saying words that describe nothing...

rj

TheCroShow
10-11-2005, 03:31 PM
hate cliche black ppl on sports/awards shows "i wanna thank my lord and savior..." why don't you fuckers blame god when you lose? anyway that's an entirely different thread altogether.

crunk is one that bothers me, i hate lil jon. some girl @ work came up to me and said something like "[censored] man me and my girl went out and got CRUNKED on the weekend!" uhh yeah, cool.

another one "That's [card game]!" yeah thanks a lot dickhead, that helps a lot!

Blarg
10-11-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"penultimate"

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I've read this one but don't think I've ever heard it in my life.

touchfaith
10-11-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"penultimate"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF dude, I basically count on you to explain crap like this for me. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

coffeecrazy1
10-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Um...this one isn't modern...actually, far from it. It's more archaic than anything else, meaning second to last.

Go-Go-Gadget-Liberal-Arts-Degree!

Duke
10-11-2005, 06:07 PM
'Crunk' wins this hands down.

~D

cnfuzzd
10-11-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah verbing bugs me too. It almost always seems cheesy or somehow grates on the ear.

[/ QUOTE ]

surely you can apprecite the irony of the above

peace

john nickle

GuyOnTilt
10-11-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This is definitely at the top of my list. Not a phrase I hate really, but one that bugs me or sticks out to me or whatever that is commonly used: literally, when meaning figuratively, e.g. "I literally died laughing".

GoT

Boris
10-11-2005, 06:25 PM
I'm choosing brilliant just becuase that's the only adjective they use over in England. But then they try to lord over the Americans with how the "the Queen's English" uses so many more words than us. Whatever.

Blarg
10-11-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

So much so that I felt it went without saying.

Blarg
10-11-2005, 06:36 PM
There's a strong anti-intellectual aspect to American society that doesn't do us much credit on every level. I think the use of "brilliant" is pretty silly, but we could learn a thing or two from the fluency with the language that even pretty average Britons seem to have. The ones I've seen with any amount of intelligence at all who come over here don't fight so hard to keep their vocabulary small, and the result is they speak more naturally in a way. In America, unfortunately, dumb is cool, and attempts to be anything else get frowned on as terminally unhip or just snooty. It kind of makes speaking suck when people have the right word at hand, but then have to actually search their minds to find a dumber way to say what they mean.

cnfuzzd
10-11-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

peace

john nickle

[/ QUOTE ]

So much so that I felt it went without saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

dammit, i missed another one....

peace

john nickle

Boris
10-11-2005, 06:47 PM
Where do you live that people intentionally act dumb. Like the people are smart but are afraid to show it?

offTopic
10-11-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's a strong anti-intellectual aspect to American society that doesn't do us much credit on every level. I think the use of "brilliant" is pretty silly, but we could learn a thing or two from the fluency with the language that even pretty average Britons seem to have. The ones I've seen with any amount of intelligence at all who come over here don't fight so hard to keep their vocabulary small, and the result is they speak more naturally in a way. In America, unfortunately, dumb is cool, and attempts to be anything else get frowned on as terminally unhip or just snooty. It kind of makes speaking suck when people have the right word at hand, but then have to actually search their minds to find a dumber way to say what they mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

Ulysses
10-11-2005, 07:06 PM
"off the hook" and "off the chain" are particularly grating.

Boris
10-11-2005, 07:08 PM
lol

Blarg
10-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Everywhere I've lived; Guam, Hawaii, Los Angeles. I've seen people get ribbed over using three or even two syllable words, even if they were by far the best word to use to describe something. I see this a lot more in downscale and certain ethnic crowds than in the upper middle class and above.

Slow Play Ray
10-11-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"off the hook" and "off the chain" are particularly grating.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, and it gets even worse when morphed to "off the hizzle"

10-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Kinko's had a slogan a while back, "The new way to office." I will never go into a Kinko's again.
Currently, I am really tired of hearing, "Avian Bird Flu." What exactly is a avian? Its a bird. Like there is some bird flu of the non-avian type going around?

Boris
10-11-2005, 07:20 PM
Oh right, the little people. That explains why I didn't relate to your comment.

Blarg
10-11-2005, 08:00 PM
Yes. But it does go beyond them, as much of high culture has simply evaporated or scuttled to the margins, and the common American culture is now low culture almost exclusively.

lu_hawk
10-11-2005, 08:12 PM
I vote for any sort of word where the person doesn't use the normal word that comes naturally but consciously picks another word that they think makes them sound cool. Like on 2+2 people use 'meh' or say something like 'i smoothchecked', in real life you hear people say things like 'tits' or something. This isn't part of their normal vocabulary and they were probably going to say something else but then they thought 'let me say this word instead so I sound cool.' Anytime I hear someone say a word like that I automatically label them as a giant tool and I have never been wrong.

Superfluous Man
10-11-2005, 08:23 PM
"snarky" and it's not even close.

elwoodblues
10-11-2005, 08:27 PM
Anything with Smurf in it. Way overused.

Blarg
10-11-2005, 08:30 PM
I've never heard anyone say "tits" to describe anything but tits, and "meh" isn't pretentious. It's not even a word, maybe closer to a grunt or a sneeze. What would it substitute for, anyway, "eh"? Or "bah"? Or "whatever"? None of these really need substituting for, and "meh" sure won't be any more cool. It's used because it's used, and as to effect, it would have none. It's hard for me to picture someone thinking "meh" was an attempt to be cool. It's about as exotic as clearing your throat and spitting. I think this was a bad call.

TheCroShow
10-12-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"penultimate"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF dude, I basically count on you to explain crap like this for me. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

from what i understand, penultimate is when you finish 2nd to last or last?