PDA

View Full Version : Lean Cusine skillits

sublime
10-10-2005, 10:59 PM
Like dinner in a frozen bag, low calories etc.

I am trying to improve how I eat. Well to be honest i will die at 30 if I continue to the way I have. So I bought a couple of these. Tasted OK enough, but does anybody have anything to add about the overall healthiness of this stuff?

Frozen Veggies are ok, plus the bag says they freeze them at optimal time.

Frozen Chicken is ok

I guess my concern would be with the sodium content and such. Thoughts?

Any other quick/easy/healthy stuff I should know about?

Please, my life is on the line here.

Enjoy!

Cancer Merchant
10-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Try fresh food instead of processed, over-marketed crap.

Veggies and lean meats/tofu are trivial to cook.

miajag81
10-10-2005, 11:07 PM
Can't you just read the nutrition info on the bag?

nolanfan34
10-10-2005, 11:11 PM
I'm assuming your cooking skills are not that good? If you really want to eat healthier, you need to address that first.

Any packaged meal like that is going to have a ton of preservatives, and sodium, like you mentioned.

One thing you might want to look into, is to see if there are any of these places around that are getting popular now, where you go and make like 12 meals in advance, then freeze them. They have all of the ingredients there, and you basically get instruction on preparing them. Then you just defrost and eat when you want to.

I haven't gone to one, but Mrs. nolanfan wants to, for some reason.

Cooking is the key though. Making some brown rice, broccoli, and a grilled chicken breast is not that tough, and it's a heck of a lot better for you than pre-packaged stuff.

10-10-2005, 11:21 PM
Is there a Whole Foods or some kind of farmer's market near your house? Fresh organic veggies are hella lot better than anything frozen. There's no such thing as "optimal freezing time," eating it fresh is always better.

http://premium1.uploadit.org/eric5148//peachcobbler.gif

astroglide
10-11-2005, 01:42 AM
www.amyskitchen.com (http://www.amyskitchen.com)

this stuff is mind-bogglingly good for frozen food, and it's organic, and it's low-calorie. check out the stuffed pasta shells, sante fe enchilada bowl, mexican casserole, ravioli bowl, cheese enchilada with beans, mattar paneer, spinach cheese pizza, tomato pesto pizza, bean/cheese burrito, vegetable tofu lasagna, cheese pizza pocket, lentil soup, and the black bean soup for openers. kid-tested, astroglide-approved.

sublime
10-11-2005, 03:30 AM
thanks guys.

astro, i will check out that site.

astroglide
10-11-2005, 12:14 PM
you shouldn't need to order it online or anything. they sell it at regular grocers around here as well as whole foods.

rory
10-11-2005, 12:17 PM
i agree with astro, the amy's kitchen stuff is amazingly good for frozen food and you can find it everywhere.