PDA

View Full Version : NL or Limit

10-10-2005, 09:27 PM
I have been playing 2-4 for a few months now (much to learn!). A guy I know(who always seems to be losing money at poker)says that NL is the only game to play. He says that I'm wasting my time with 2-4. I think he is full of it, but I would like some advice from those of you who have vast more experience than myself. Small stakes NL or 2-4?

Thanks,
HJ

lehighguy
10-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Depends on your playstyle.

No limit is better in my opinion, but I know how to play it. A good limit player could be a bad NL player and vice versa.

10-10-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A guy I know(who always seems to be losing money at poker)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi

Don't take advice from this guy.

ihardlyknowher
10-10-2005, 10:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing 2-4 for a few months now (much to learn!). A guy I know(who always seems to be losing money at poker)says that NL is the only game to play. He says that I'm wasting my time with 2-4. I think he is full of it, but I would like some advice from those of you who have vast more experience than myself. Small stakes NL or 2-4?

Thanks,
HJ

[/ QUOTE ]

Limit - I think the win rates are higher given the relative level of competition.

10-10-2005, 10:17 PM
Play whichever you want. I might have the same 'buddy'; just tell him to play what he wants to and leave you out of it. Just keep getting better at your chosen game and have a good time of it. The best solution IMO is to learn both, but play whatever you want.

10-11-2005, 02:24 AM
Depends on what your comfortable with. I like limit as I know what I'm in for where with NL youy may be risking your whole stack at once.

Perseus
10-11-2005, 02:33 AM
I find NL boring because I like playing lots of hands.

10-11-2005, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???

Perseus
10-11-2005, 01:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes?...what are you questioning?

chadplusplus
10-11-2005, 01:53 PM
You can play looser preflop in NL because you can make people pay on later streets to make up for your worse odds preflop - stuff like one or two off suited connectors are nice because you can still hit a decent flush and (more importantly) your straight is better camoflaged.

Here's my pokergrapher chart... which do you think I like better (although I am forcing my self to learn limit):

http://img429.imageshack.us/img429/2294/pokergrapher6oy.gif

Edit: Lol, camoFLAGED...

Stefan_K
10-11-2005, 04:41 PM
2/4

xCEO
10-11-2005, 05:34 PM
I like limit better, because it's more fun /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Guthrie
10-11-2005, 06:22 PM
Play whichever you like, each has its good points and bad. I studied (a lot) and played limit for months, then after a prolonged series of bad beats tried NL SNGs for a change of pace. Knowing absolutely nothing about the strategy I immediately started winning and it hasn't stopped yet. It's been offsetting my limit losses while I improve that game. I try to play some of each every day.