PDA

View Full Version : To those of you who are computer literate.

Woolygimp
10-10-2005, 09:25 PM
Me and a friend were having a spirited discussion (Argument).
We are in a hotel paying $9.99 per day for a cable internet connection since our home city was damaged moderately by Hurricane Rita, and we found 7 people in adjacent rooms were leaching off our wireless router. I did a bandwidth test and found our modem was running at 56k speeds; I chalked it up to the fact that it was the 7 leechers while he said it was just a "standard lag spike". I disconnected the router, ran a direct cable to my computer and it immediately jumped up to 1.5mbit/s speeds over the next 20 tests I did +/-1.0 or so kbits.

So basically the argument was over a number of things:
1) Does someone downloading and wasting your bandwidth raise your ping?
2) Would hosting a 8 player game of Dawn of War while running on a 56k connection be smart?
3) Is it worth the trouble to kick those leechers in the balls for stealing your bandwidth?
4) Why do people eat the disgusting food at Mcdonalds?

Cancer Merchant
10-10-2005, 09:27 PM
yes
no
yes
cuz it's there.

rory
10-10-2005, 09:28 PM
how about setting your router up properly instead

STLantny
10-10-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Me and a friend were having a spirited discussion (Argument).
We are in a hotel paying $9.99 per day for a cable internet connection since our home city was damaged moderately by Hurricane Rita, and we found 7 people in adjacent rooms were leaching off our wireless router. I did a bandwidth test and found our modem was running at 56k speeds; I chalked it up to the fact that it was the 7 leechers while he said it was just a "standard lag spike". I disconnected the router, ran a direct cable to my computer and it immediately jumped up to 1.5mbit/s speeds over the next 20 tests I did +/-1.0 or so kbits.

So basically the argument was over a number of things:
1) Does someone downloading and wasting your bandwidth raise your ping?
2) Would hosting a 8 player game of Dawn of War while running on a 56k connection be smart?
3) Is it worth the trouble to kick those leechers in the balls for stealing your bandwidth?
4) Why do people eat the disgusting food at Mcdonalds?

[/ QUOTE ]

Better suited for the computer forum.

1. Yes, the less bandwith, ups the time for a ping response.
2. I dont play video games for some reason
3. Its technically illegal for them to be doing this, but Id just run a sniffer and get all their good info, do recon, and post it all over the hallway, obv, dont anything too important (onlie banking, poker logins? etc) until you get some wireless security up.

Woolygimp
10-10-2005, 09:32 PM
How can we block them from our wireless router?

STLantny
10-10-2005, 09:33 PM
http://www.drizzle.com/~aboba/IEEE/

Woolygimp
10-10-2005, 09:36 PM
Ok can someone explain to him what would happen if someone hosted an 8 player game with 56k speeds?

I pictured itd take 10 minutes to load ( and we were lucky enough half of them didn't lag out ) then the game would run at about 20% normal speed pausing every second for an additional 3-4 seconds.

rory
10-10-2005, 09:36 PM
go to the router setup page
enable mac address filtering
put in your mac addresses (you can find them by going to run->cmd and then typing in 'ipconfig /all' in windows. the mac address is in the 'physical address' entry)
restart the router
all done

stabn
10-10-2005, 09:40 PM
Turn on MAC filtering, turn on do not broadcast SSID, enjoy.

stabn
10-10-2005, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
put in your mac addresses (you can find them by going to run->cmd and then typing in 'ipconfig /all' in windows. the mac address is in the 'physical address' entry)
restart the router
all done

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you.

STLantny
10-10-2005, 09:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
restart the router
all done

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also get wpa encryption going, mac spoofing is trivial, so is wpa pretty much, but together, it may be enough to deter.

stabn
10-10-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
restart the router
all done

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also get wpa encryption going, mac spoofing is trivial, so is wpa pretty much, but together, it may be enough to deter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes you can get WPA or WEP depending on which it supports. Overall though most people in these hotel rooms aren't going to be smart enough to go to that level. Not broadcasting SSID + mac filtering will determine 99.9% of all wireless abusers. FWIW i have it enabled on mine but it is more work more work, especially for someone as clueless about this as the OP so i didn't suggest it.