PDA

View Full Version : ICM vs Simple positive chip ev estimations

10-10-2005, 07:57 PM
If the only prize was first place then ICM wouldn't be any different than making a push or a call based on simply your opponents' range and your hand. Right?

For most 50-30-20 structure sit and gos how much of a difference is there between the "perfect" icm play and the "perfect" +chip ev move when regarding pushes or calling pushes. I'm not referring to extremely small stacks battling to stay alive near the end of a tourney or other extremes, but more along the lines of pushing a stack of 1200 into blinds of 100-200.

There seems to be so many assumptions in ICM that I don't see how it is vastly superior to a much simpler pushing and calling estimation that many could do on the fly with a little bit of practice.

I am pretty sure I'm missing a consideration here, but maybe I'm not that far off. I don't need an explanation of what ICM is, but more of opinions on how much more superior it is than simpliflifying your pushing and calling standards based soley on # of people to act, their calling ranges, your hand, and the blind levels.

Thanks

tigerite
10-10-2005, 08:11 PM
The difference between chip ev and $EV is sometimes small, it's sometimes large, it's sometimes in the middle. It's only ever 0 when it's HU, it's smallest with the most players, and it's the largest on the bubble in general.

Sorry but no, chipEV does not cut it for the vast majority of cases.