PDA

View Full Version : Wardrobe suggestions

STLantny
10-10-2005, 07:54 PM
I started otu in the "real world". I dont haver much in the way of dress clothes that are appropiate for the business world, I guess. What should I buy? Im in sales/tech stuff, and basically hang out at restaurants all day. My question is, where is the [censored] manual for things like this? Where do you learn what to wear, how to "sell", decorum, and things of that nature? or do you just wing it and learn as you go?

lighterjobs
10-10-2005, 08:07 PM
here you go (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3635043&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1).

STLantny
10-10-2005, 08:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
here you go (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3635043&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1).

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, those clothes are gross in ANY situation.

lapoker17
10-10-2005, 08:15 PM
if they haven't given you any training or some kind of mentor, then they are not smart. that's bad business. ask for help. it won't make you look bad.

for the wardrobe stuff, brooks brothers is not too expensive and always an easy choice as you don't have to worry too much about things "matching".

Buy 5 white, 3 blue, 2 mildly striped dress shirts (with a few different types of collar)and 2 blue, 1 black, 1 brown, 1 beige/khaki 1 grey pair of pants. 1 black/ 1 brown belt. 1 pair black 1 pair brown shoes - kenneth cole is simple and fine. socks suck, but you should probably wear them. you can wear any shirt/pant combination and be fine. just wear brown shoes w brown pants, black with others.

but you should really try to find a job where you can wear flip flops.

good luck.

STLantny
10-10-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if they haven't given you any training or some kind of mentor, then they are not smart. that's bad business. ask for help. it won't make you look bad.

for the wardrobe stuff, brooks brothers is not too expensive and always an easy choice as you don't have to worry too much about things "matching".

Buy 5 white, 3 blue, 2 mildly striped dress shirts (with a few different types of collar)and 2 blue, 1 black, 1 brown, 1 beige/khaki 1 grey pair of pants. 1 black/ 1 brown belt. 1 pair black 1 pair brown shoes - kenneth cole is simple and fine. socks suck, but you should probably wear them. you can wear any shirt/pant combination and be fine. just wear brown shoes w brown pants, black with others.

but you should really try to find a job where you can wear flip flops.

good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have "mentor" but he is old, and I didnt want to go with old people style. Thanks for the base to start, Ill go to brooks brothers and just pick a bunch of stuff out. Are suits a yay or nay? I dont mind wearing them, but dont want to look like an ass or too self-important when I make sales presentations etc

naphinfitos
10-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Buy a GQ.

4_2_it
10-10-2005, 08:38 PM
If everyone else in your office is wearing suits then buy suits. If you are making client presentations and your clients are in suits, you need to be in a suit.

I buy all my stuff at Jos. A Banks where I have had better luck then Brooks Brothers. Their prices are similar. Get a salesperson, tell them what you need and what your budget is and they will hook you up.

James Boston
10-10-2005, 08:43 PM
I won't bother telling you what to buy, because it doesn't really matter. You can look professional without spending alot. One rule I adhere to is this: if you're on a budget, make sure you have nice shoes and a nice watch first. Moderately priced slacks and shirts don't look cheap and will suffice just fine. However, a really nice and/or expensive shirt/tie/pants trifecta will be ruined by cheap loafers and a Casio watch.

I am in sales, so I will tell you that I wear a shirt and tie everyday, sportcoat when it's cold, and a suit if I have a very important meeting.

10-10-2005, 08:44 PM
You actually have a real job? After reading your

[ QUOTE ]

Discussion I had last night........

[/ QUOTE ]

post, that really surprises me.

Sponger15SB
10-10-2005, 08:46 PM
First get yourself one of these for your shiny, bald head.

http://imagescommerce.bcentral.com/merchantfiles/5084954/mullet%20wig.jpg

STLantny
10-10-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I won't bother telling you what to buy, because it doesn't really matter. You can look professional without spending alot. One rule I adhere to is this: if you're on a budget, make sure you have nice shoes and a nice watch first. Moderately priced slacks and shirts don't look cheap and will suffice just fine. However, a really nice and/or expensive shirt/tie/pants trifecta will be ruined by cheap loafers and a Casio watch.

I am in sales, so I will tell you that I wear a shirt and tie everyday, sportcoat when it's cold, and a suit if I have a very important meeting.

[/ QUOTE ]

YES, that was my next question, watches. Ive noticed that everyone of my clients, my boss, assoc, all have really nice watches (I dont wear one at all). Should I get one, even though I never use it, because of my pda/cell? Do you have any tips for selling? Any books to read etc? I have my degree in IT, but fell ass backwards into this job, and really like it, but Im feeling things out still, and want to speed up the learning curve.

STLantny
10-10-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You actually have a real job? After reading your

[ QUOTE ]

Discussion I had last night........

[/ QUOTE ]

post, that really surprises me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Nothing I do is that bad, you call it tax fudging, to feel better about yourself, its still illegal. I have a flawless driving, but I speed, lockpicking/security is a great hobby, and actually has a lot to do with my work. Weed, well? Some people never grow up.

James Boston
10-10-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
YES, that was my next question, watches. Ive noticed that everyone of my clients, my boss, assoc, all have really nice watches (I dont wear one at all). Should I get one, even though I never use it, because of my pda/cell?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they look nice, but I guess none at all is better than cheap, so you can probably get by without one. That's your call.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have any tips for selling? Any books to read etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry. The only stuff I'm familiar with is specific to my line of work. PM me with the specifics of your job if you want me to try and tell you a little more (if I can).

STLantny
10-10-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
First get yourself one of these for your shiny, bald head.

http://imagescommerce.bcentral.com/merchantfiles/5084954/mullet%20wig.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Im not bald yet, hopefully a lifestyle change will divert this. Beats being ugly though.

Sponger15SB
10-10-2005, 08:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Beats being ugly though.

[/ QUOTE ]

www.amihotornot.com (http://www.amihotornot.com) face off? lowest score kills themselves?

lol

STLantny
10-10-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Beats being ugly though.

[/ QUOTE ]

www.amihotornot.com (http://www.amihotornot.com) face off? lowest score kills themselves?

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were some spindly little dork looking kid, with pictures taken in a dorm room or something? I must be confused....

Sponger15SB
10-10-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought you were some spindly little dork looking kid, with pictures taken in a dorm room or something? I must be confused....

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be spindly, but dork looking is the last thing I'd use to describe myself.

STLantny
10-10-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be spindly, but dork looking is the last thing I'd use to describe myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh wait, haha, some blonde dude popped up, when I clicked your link, I just assumed it was you. Its not, I guess...hehe Im not confused anymore.

touchfaith
10-10-2005, 10:21 PM
Get a brown suit, white shirt, black shoes and a grey tie...

...ummmm and a Ten Speed Bike.

Those guys can sell me anything.