PDA

View Full Version : Euchre vs Spades

asofel
10-10-2005, 06:59 PM
Both games were played this weekend, many tricks were won, much drunken [censored] talking was had. At first I considered spades far superior. However, after playing Euchre with a couple experienced friends, I take this back. I know there are posters here who enjoy both; lets see if its close.

10-10-2005, 07:00 PM
http://thebigshow.phathookups.com/images/gay_trying.jpg

2+2 wannabe
10-10-2005, 07:00 PM
spades - it's not close

euchre is a LOT of luck, as one alone bet is pretty much the game

spades takes more skill

Soul Daddy
10-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Spades is a better game with regard to strategery, but Euchre is clearly more fun.

tdarko
10-10-2005, 07:03 PM
neither. i vote for pluck.

peterchi
10-10-2005, 07:04 PM
I thought no one played Euchre outside of Michigan.

Soul Daddy
10-10-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I learned it from some Hoosiers, who claimed it was their game. But they're Hoosiers, so what do they know?

touchfaith
10-10-2005, 07:05 PM
I play spades and have never played euchre...waiting to learn.

tdarko
10-10-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
learned it in a lockerroom, they may have been from michigan. i dunno /images/graemlins/smirk.gif.

mslif
10-10-2005, 07:09 PM
I love them both but I definitely prefer Euchre (and screw the dealer is the only way to play)

stabn
10-10-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I learned it from some Hoosiers, who claimed it was their game. But they're Hoosiers, so what do they know?

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned it from my family who learned it before they moved from Ohio > Cali > Oregon. I perfer spades though but that is mostly because if i'm playing euchure it means it's a holiday and i'm playing cards with my family.

Soul Daddy
10-10-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love them both but I definitely prefer Euchre (and screw the dealer is the only way to play)

[/ QUOTE ]
I seriously can't believe that people play any other way. That would remove a lot of the strategy, plus you'd have to deal a lot more. I think it was lucas that mentioned this before. Is this common in Denver?

[censored]
10-10-2005, 07:17 PM
I used to loving playing spades in the Army, where it is really popular. Infact the only thing good about being deployed whether real or in training was playing spades.

Hamish McBagpipe
10-10-2005, 07:17 PM
Euchre is an Ontario game. But, no matter, they are both Bridge for idjits.

scott8
10-10-2005, 07:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
spades - it's not close

spades takes more skill

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong.

mslif
10-10-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I seriously can't believe that people play any other way. That would remove a lot of the strategy, plus you'd have to deal a lot more. I think it was lucas that mentioned this before. Is this common in Denver?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Lucas and I were euchre partners in a club. Some of the players did not even know about about it. I could not believe it. Some players even accused us of making up rules!! We stopped playing there. Euchre is such a fun game to play, not a lot of players in Denver unfortunately.

jason_t
10-10-2005, 07:23 PM
I'm pretty sure that you should be [censored]. On top of making some lame threads today, you called a game that I'm sure a lot of people in this forum enjoy playing "gay." This has potential to be a great topic as it could delve into rules discussion, variations, strategy discussion, etc.

10-10-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that you should be [censored]. On top of making some lame threads today, you called a game that I'm sure a lot of people in this forum enjoy playing. This has potential to be a great topic as it could delve into rules discussion, variations, strategy discussion, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Become a moderator and ban me.

jason_t
10-10-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure that you should be [censored]. On top of making some lame threads today, you called a game that I'm sure a lot of people in this forum enjoy playing. This has potential to be a great topic as it could delve into rules discussion, variations, strategy discussion, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if you want to be banned, I'm sure that can be taken care of.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

go ahead

stabn
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tinga81
10-10-2005, 07:30 PM
euchre > spades.

Nobody in the northern part of Illinois knows the damn game. I had to go away to college (further south) to learn it.

Alchemist
10-10-2005, 07:58 PM
Hearts is superior to both.

But Spades > Euchre because 90% of the time in Euchre your plays are forced anyway and it gets boring fast.

mslif
10-10-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

But Spades > Euchre because 90% of the time in Euchre your plays are forced anyway and it gets boring fast.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, Euchre is very strategic. A wrong evaluation of a hand or one wrong move and you'll lose. It is really about the team who can strategize the best and I think that's why it's so much fun.

DMBFan23
10-10-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

go ahead

[/ QUOTE ]

and I paraphrase from clause 14a of the constitution of [censored]

"if you make a poll asking whether you should be banned and lose, you will be. if you ask to be banned, you're gone"

also [censored] start changing titles, or make a sticky thread with those who've felt the wrath pls. for the spectators.

touchfaith
10-10-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, get off your [censored] soapbox for once in your nit life.

astroglide
10-10-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that is crazy-talk

InchoateHand
10-10-2005, 08:19 PM
This isn't a question.

Euchre is fine redneck Spades and all, and I have a good time, but who the [censored] said Spades isn't as "fun" to play with your friends? Do you have friends? Don't you like [censored] them over? Jesus-[censored]-christ.

And no, hearts doesn't compete. Its a fine card game, but its not paired, and its even more simple.

jakethebake
10-10-2005, 08:20 PM
I once played spades with a dead guy. Literally. He was propped up in the chair across from me. We were partners. I think we lost, but I don't remember for sure. That was one weird night...and yes, I'm completely serious.

jason_t
10-10-2005, 08:22 PM
You see, because of

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/jason_t712/thinmaneuchre.jpg

I have no idea what you just said but I don't care because you'll be banned soon enough.

InchoateHand
10-10-2005, 08:22 PM
Oh, oh, please tell the story, pretty-please!

Actually, don't.

touchfaith
10-10-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You see, because of

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/jason_t712/thinmaneuchre.jpg

I have no idea what you just said but I don't care because you'll be banned soon enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cya in Vegas! Drinks on you

mslif
10-10-2005, 08:31 PM
This is unfortunate that this thread took a wrong turn. It could have been interesting to talk to other players and maybe set up online games.

jason_t
10-10-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny that I first learned the game from a Michigander and the other two people that were playing with us were from Chicago.

stabn
10-10-2005, 08:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

maybe set up online games

[/ QUOTE ]

This part at least could still be done /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

InchoateHand
10-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Are you kidding? I only learned the game from Michigan people too, and outside of yahoo, the next time I played it was when I moved there.

mslif
10-10-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome. I would really like to do that, I miss playing. Do you know how to?

InchoateHand
10-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Give me forty-five minutes and I'm up for some rocking Euchre.

mslif
10-10-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Give me forty-five minutes and I'm up for some rocking Euchre.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

stabn
10-10-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome. I would really like to do that, I miss playing. Do you know how to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, although it has been about 3 years since i played. Give me a week to practice a bit and then one of us should start a thread (or PM people who post in this thread saying they are interested).

captZEEbo1
10-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Euchre is not fun if you are playing with 3 other people that know how to play...it's all luck then. If you think it's a matter of skill etc, you really just don't know the basic strat for all situations (not that many scenarios).

Spades is more fun, because there's of different strategy to do. When you add in stuff like double-nil, it gets pretty fun /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I really like Hearts too, it's also fun if you play with the J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif rule.

mslif
10-10-2005, 08:43 PM
Scared of losing to a girl /images/graemlins/grin.gif
That's fine. So far I have you, Inchoathand (sorry I mispelled), I know Lucas will be down for it and me. So we already have enough players for a game. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

stabn
10-10-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's fine. So far I have you, Inchoathand (sorry I mispelled), I know Lucas will be down for it and me. So we already have enough players for a game. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I've lost to girls before i'm sure i will again /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

jason_t
10-10-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding? I only learned the game from Michigan people too, and outside of yahoo, the next time I played it was when I moved there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. Completely serious. I just AIMed another friend who just moved to Michigan last month to see if he had heard of the game. He said as soon as he arrived two different groups of people offered to teach him the game.

mslif
10-10-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sooner than you think /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I will PM you and whoever is interested in playing next week (so you have time to refresh your memory)

Sephus
10-10-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Euchre is not fun if you are playing with 3 other people that know how to play...it's all luck then.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the popular opinion of people who think they understand all the strategy but really have a long way to go toward mastering the game. it's true the game depends a lot of luck, but this is because you only play to 10. if it was played to 50, this would not be the perception.

i'm pretty confident that if you found the best partner you could and i found my own, we would probably beat you 60-70 times out of 100. (i've played three or four thousand games online and am generally considered one of the best 5-10 players of the couple thousand who play regularly on the site).

asofel
10-10-2005, 11:58 PM
wow, you totally pwned me....really....I mean, its not like anyone else has played these games and enjoyed them...in fact I'd be surprised if i got any heterosexual replies at all...

to the other replies: glad to see others enjoy them as well. I still pretty much suck at Euchre as I was dealt a J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif J /images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif and somehow didn't go it alone....but someday I hope to be as cool and heterosexual as sammy1, so we'll see....

captZEEbo1
10-11-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Euchre is not fun if you are playing with 3 other people that know how to play...it's all luck then.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the popular opinion of people who think they understand all the strategy but really have a long way to go toward mastering the game. it's true the game depends a lot of luck, but this is because you only play to 10. if it was played to 50, this would not be the perception.

i'm pretty confident that if you found the best partner you could and i found my own, we would probably beat you 60-70 times out of 100. (i've played three or four thousand games online and am generally considered one of the best 5-10 players of the couple thousand who play regularly on the site).

[/ QUOTE ]
Well I concede that I probably have a bunch to learn. However, since the game is so low scoring and my friends skill levels were similar, the game was not much fun =/

asofel
10-11-2005, 12:27 AM
incorporate deal stealing, shots, and beers and I guarantee you'll have a good time /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chaostracize
10-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Spades is a meal. Euchre is dessert.

Chaostracize
10-11-2005, 12:37 AM
Agreed.

mason55
10-11-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny that I first learned the game from a Michigander and the other two people that were playing with us were from Chicago.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone in Ohio plays Euchre too. I guess it's a Midwest thing?

waffle
10-11-2005, 12:46 AM
Spades. Especially with a good balance of sandbag/nil/blind nil rules and payoffs. A group I played with also allowed a '10 for 2': If the second person of a team to bid makes their team's bid '10 for 2', then they will get +200 points if they take exactly 10 tricks, and -100 for any other number. Kind of gimmicky but it was fun.

Isn't spades just bridge with training wheels, though?

stabn
10-11-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone in Ohio plays Euchre too. I guess it's a Midwest thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was apparently created by the pensylvania dutch.

stabn
10-11-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sooner than you think /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I will PM you and whoever is interested in playing next week (so you have time to refresh your memory)

[/ QUOTE ]

omg it takes forever to get one going on yahoo games.

aLOWdAkING
10-11-2005, 03:19 AM
Anybody up for a Spades match on Yahoo Games?

Talk to me on AIM: alowdaking

Tyler Durden
10-13-2005, 07:13 PM
does anybody want to play spades right now on yahoo? let me know.

InchoateHand
10-13-2005, 07:16 PM
n

MINETZ
10-13-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
spades - it's not close

spades takes more skill

[/ QUOTE ]
NOT CLOSE