PDA

View Full Version : Please help me run faster.

namknils
10-10-2005, 05:08 PM
I ran a 5K over the weekend, and I'm very happy with my time, 21:10 (6:50 pace). I am running another 5K race in about a month and I want to improve by as much as I can on this.

Does anyone have any tips on how I should be training to improve speed on a 5K (3.1 miles)? Right now I'm basically just going out for runs almost every day between 3-5 miles. I just run at a comfortable yet challenging pace for me. That's all my training.

samjjones
10-10-2005, 05:09 PM
http://www.jimcarreynettet.dk/billeder/sixmillion.gif

jason_t
10-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Add in at least one longer run a week, say, at least an hour in length; this is to improve endurance. Add one day of track repeats where you just go to the track, run an 800, take a lap rest and repeat, say, ten times; this will improve your ability to endure distance at higher speeds. Try to run at least 5 miles a day. Take a day off each week. Take the day off before your next 5k race.

I ran 5ks at high 15s/low 16s in high school and college and the above was essentially my program.

pokerdirty
10-10-2005, 05:14 PM
http://www.ninjutsu.co.il/hebrew%20newspaper%20the%20gourdian/the%20second%20issue/second_issue_forest_gamp_files/image008.jpg

namknils
10-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Wow, your old times are awesome. If you like running middle distances maybe you should look into triathlons (if you haven't before). I've been racing in Tri's this summer and it's a blast.

I'll try your track repeats plan, thanks.

jason_t
10-10-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, your old times are awesome. If you like running middle distances maybe you should look into triathlons (if you haven't before). I've been racing in Tri's this summer and it's a blast.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how to swim. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

theben
10-10-2005, 05:31 PM
steriods or other supplements

SomethingClever
10-10-2005, 05:31 PM
It also helps if you have a training partner that you're competitive with.

You'll work harder, which will lead to faster 5k times.

namknils
10-10-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At all? Well, that would be the first obsticle, but you could get over it.

My first race was an Olympic distance which starts with a 1500 meter swim. I came out of the water dead last right behind an old fat retired guy. It looked pretty bad because I'm only 23 and am in great shape. But the swimming got WAY better as the year went on.

MEbenhoe
10-10-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Add in at least one longer run a week, say, at least an hour in length; this is to improve endurance. Add one day of track repeats where you just go to the track, run an 800, take a lap rest and repeat, say, ten times; this will improve your ability to endure distance at higher speeds. Try to run at least 5 miles a day. Take a day off each week. Take the day off before your next 5k race.

I ran 5ks at high 15s/low 16s in high school and college and the above was essentially my program.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is perfect advice. Just to echo what jason said, make your daily runs longer than your race distance, one really long day per week, and one "speed day" per week and you should see a nice progression in times.

touchfaith
10-10-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I ran a 5K over the weekend, and I'm very happy with my time, 21:10 (6:50 pace). I am running another 5K race in about a month and I want to improve by as much as I can on this.

Does anyone have any tips on how I should be training to improve speed on a 5K (3.1 miles)? Right now I'm basically just going out for runs almost every day between 3-5 miles. I just run at a comfortable yet challenging pace for me. That's all my training.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clue (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3627895&page=1&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

namknils
10-10-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clue (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3627895&page=1&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

What, yell racial slurs at a crowd of said race? I'm pretty sure I could out run a lot of people, but I wouldn't want to take a chance racing their cars/trucks/bullets.

namknils
10-10-2005, 05:41 PM
Ok, so how does this sound?:

Monday: 4-5 miles
Tuesday: Speed work at track (jason t's suggested plan)
Wednesday: 4-5 miles
Thursday: 4-5 miles
Friday: 4-5 miles
Saturday: Long run day, 8-10 miles
Sunday: Rest day.

I would assume the speed day and long run days should be spread out a bit, right?

Duke
10-10-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming 5ks in HS were cross country races, and I thought that one ran 10k for that in college?

20 200s was something I remember doing.

~D

jason_t
10-10-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At all? Well, that would be the first obsticle, but you could get over it.

My first race was an Olympic distance which starts with a 1500 meter swim. I came out of the water dead last right behind an old fat retired guy. It looked pretty bad because I'm only 23 and am in great shape. But the swimming got WAY better as the year went on.

[/ QUOTE ]

At all; I can't float, I can't doggy paddle and I definitely can't swim. It's not for lack or trying and several people that I trust have tried to teach me.

jason_t
10-10-2005, 05:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming 5ks in HS were cross country races, and I thought that one ran 10k for that in college?

20 200s was something I remember doing.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

In college I ran a lot of local 5k races; the races I ran for college were 7.5ks with a few 10ks.

And yeah, 20 x 200 is a good repeat program to mix in too as is 16 x 400 and 4 x 1600.

peachy
10-10-2005, 05:45 PM
keep increasing ur times every run daily....work on ur cardio....and make sure u are breathing correctly (this is HUGELY key)

mslif
10-10-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a triathlete as well. What distances were you racing? My last race was in August and it was a blast.

namknils
10-10-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a triathlete as well. What distances were you racing? My last race was in August and it was a blast.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my first year, I started with an Olympic distance out of sure ignorance /images/graemlins/blush.gif, then did 3 more that were all sprints. Next season I'm going to try to fit in more Oly's (maybe 4-5) and end the season with the Half-Iron at Lake Geneva, WI.

Duke
10-10-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my first year, I started with an Olympic distance out of sure ignorance /images/graemlins/blush.gif, then did 3 more that were all sprints. Next season I'm going to try to fit in more Oly's (maybe 4-5) and end the season with the Half-Iron at Lake Geneva, WI.

[/ QUOTE ]

To avoid googling, what does Olympic distance mean? Is that like the Iron Man Triathlon? I think that's 2.4 miles swimming, 116 miles on the bike, and then a 26 mile run.

~D

jason_t
10-10-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so how does this sound?:

Monday: 4-5 miles
Tuesday: Speed work at track (jason t's suggested plan)
Wednesday: 4-5 miles
Thursday: 4-5 miles
Friday: 4-5 miles
Saturday: Long run day, 8-10 miles
Sunday: Rest day.

I would assume the speed day and long run days should be spread out a bit, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would place the day of rest after the day at the track. That is going to be one of your hardest workouts if you've never done that sort of thing before. No matter what you do, the day after your track workout and your long run need to be easier than the other days. You can add in one more routine called a tempo run. Start your run at an easy pace to get warmed up. Once you're loose, increase your pace until you are at near race pace. Stay at this pace for awhile and as you get towards the end of the run gradually slow down. This develops your anaerobic threshhold. Given your schedule above I would do this on Thursday.

mslif
10-10-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To avoid googling, what does Olympic distance mean? Is that like the Iron Man Triathlon? I think that's 2.4 miles swimming, 116 miles on the bike, and then a 26 mile run.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

Olympic distances are much shorter than that: .5 km (0.9 mile) swim / 40 km (24.9 mile) bike / 10 km (6.2 mile) run

namknils
10-10-2005, 06:01 PM
For triathlons there are a few different categories of distances.

Sprint Distance - These are the short races that are usually a 400-800 meter swim, 12.4-18 mile bike, and 3.1-5 mile run. These distances vary, but are usually in these ranges.

Olympic Distance - Triathlon became an Olympic sport in 2000, so the distance they race is 1500 meter swim, 40K bike (24.6 miles I think?), and a 10K run.

Half Iron Distance - 1.2 Mile swim, 56 Mile Bike, 13.1 Mile Run

IronMan - 2.4 Mile Swim, 112 Mile Bike, 26.2 Mile Run (full marathon)

mackthefork
10-10-2005, 06:09 PM
I used to do a lot of pyramids when I was running long distance, basically 15 secs slow/15 secs fast, then 30 secs slow/30 secs fast, then do 1 min slow/1 min fast, then 30 secs again, 15 secs again, if you get good you can try a 2 min rep as well. That really helps you change pace in the middle of a race, good for up and downhill and changing pace for tactical reasons.

Mack

M2d
10-10-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It also helps if you have a training partner that you're competitive with.

You'll work harder, which will lead to faster 5k times.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40722000/jpg/_40722993_003000.jpg