PDA

View Full Version : What a badass.

miajag81
10-10-2005, 04:15 PM
I was reading Wikipedia's featured article of the day, on Isaac Brock (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Brock), a British general during the War of 1812. This story from his younger years struck me as awesome:

[ QUOTE ]
Brock started as an ensign in the 8th Regiment of Foot in 1785 at the age of fifteen, where he was likely given responsibility for the regimental colours[1]. Brock reached the rank of captain, and transferred to the 49th Foot (also known as the Hertfordshire Regiment of Foot) on June 15, 1791. His nephew and biographer (Ferdinand Brock Tupper) asserts that shortly after joining the regiment, a professional dueler forced a match on him. As the one being challenged, Brock had his choice of terms, and so he insisted that they fight with pistols. His friends were shocked, as Brock was considered only a moderately good shot, while this man was an expert. Brock, however, refused to change his mind. When the duelist arrived at the field, he asked Brock to decide how many paces they would take. Brock subsequently insisted that the duel would take place, not at the usual range, but at handkerchief distance. The duelist declined and subsequently was forced to leave the regiment. This contributed to Brock's popularity and reputation among his fellow officers, as this duelist had a formidable reputation, and thus bullied other officers without fear of reprisal.

[/ QUOTE ]

canis582
10-10-2005, 04:17 PM
Cool story. I wouldn't mind getting within handkerchief distance of your sister/gf/wife.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Yeah. I like Modest Mouse, too.

10-10-2005, 04:24 PM
What's handkerchief distance? Hand to hand range?

miajag81
10-10-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what i figured, or maybe "close enough to throw a handkerchief at and hit"

gulebjorn
10-10-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what i figured, or maybe "close enough to throw a handkerchief at and hit"

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, "close enough to blow your nose and hit"

diebitter
10-10-2005, 04:46 PM
Yeah, he was okay. Nelson was a badass too, if you're interested. In fact, most of the English were pretty hard. The officers wore red so the blood wouldn't show when it got hand to hand.

As the Duke of Wellington said about his own men:

'I don't know if they frighten the enemy, but by God they frighten me'

Okay, enough English pride.

JackWilson
10-10-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, he was okay. Nelson was a badass too, if you're interested. In fact, most of the English were pretty hard. The officers wore red so the blood wouldn't show when it got hand to hand.

As the Duke of Wellington said about his own men:

'I don't know if they frighten the enemy, but by God they frighten me'

Okay, enough English pride.

[/ QUOTE ]

The English always have been hardcore badasses (or savages IMO). It's in their blood with the long history of war and bloodshed and whatnot.

diebitter
10-10-2005, 04:58 PM
That's why we're so polite. We'd kill each other otherwise. Best to save it till the Germans get feisty again. Oh well, someone's got to do it.

Oh, you forgot piracy.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRR!

JackWilson
10-10-2005, 05:07 PM
And don't get me started on hooligans. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lazymeatball
10-10-2005, 05:12 PM
I don't have a source on this but I believe that at the time when Cromwell formed the first formal English Army the cheapest available dye was red, and so that's what they used on the uniforms. Before then England had never really had a formal uniform for it's army.

diebitter
10-10-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And don't get me started on hooligans. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, actually, this is a bit of tarring all the English with the same brush.

Me? I'm not a fighter.

I'm a lover.
Then a poet.
Then a lover again. /images/graemlins/wink.gif
Then a lover again. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Blarg
10-10-2005, 06:49 PM
I thought it was so when they were spitting out blood from gum disease, they wouldn't stain.