PDA

View Full Version : how to play this hand? KQ, JQ, KJ at a 4-8 table

macedaddy
05-25-2003, 10:21 PM
i was wondering how i should play KJ, QJ, TK, or something of this sort in early to middle position ... or even late position... in a low limit game. (4-8)

should i raise to get this down to 3 or 4 players???

or just call... and have it be about 7 handed?? obviously.. if i raise, i get out the drawing hands..... but i might only end up with one caller.... with an ace.

if i call.... there is more money in the pot.. so if i do end up with top pair.. or a straight, my odds to draw to the straight are better....

any ideas what to do with these hands?

i feel like i always raise with two face cards... and it has been working so far.. but i don't know if this is the best approach, or if i am losing bets because of this.

Ralle
05-26-2003, 09:21 AM
In early position I would usually fold KJ and QJ. With KQ I would probably call one bet, and then see what happens. Offsuit big cards can get into trouble against lots of opponents. E.g. with seven people seeing the flop, top pair with decent kicker could be expensive, since chances are good that someone will get two pair or a straight. And if an A comes, someone will almost surely have a bigger pair.

In middle position I'd raise with KQ if I'm first in. With callers I'm not sure. Maybe I'd still raise against one caller unless I feel he's really strong. Against lots of callers I might fold if chances are good there will be a raise behind me.

KJ and QJ I'd prefer to play only in late positions, although I must admit that I sometimes limp with them in middle position. Once again a raise might be a good idea if you're first in, and people behind you are likely to fold.

macedaddy
05-26-2003, 10:55 AM
thanks for the insight... i think this is a weak part of my game... if i get two facecards.. i usally raise. i am not yet disiplined enough to fold KJo in early or middle position.

thanks for the help!

Mike Gallo
05-26-2003, 12:23 PM
Mace,

I would limp with KQ off suit, and fold the rest of the hands.

You can raise with KQ suited.

The other hands have too many ways of getting you in trouble.

Michael

MikMucker
05-26-2003, 03:42 PM
what if there were only 4 or 5 players at the table. how does that change things. I'm thinking you get a little looser, raising where you would have called and calling where you would have folded. I figure you play all of these hands when playing shorthanded. Anyone have a better idea?

bernie
05-26-2003, 04:43 PM
it really depends on the texture of your low limit game. and how the players are reacting to you.

there is no 1 way to play these hands based solely on the limit.

b