PDA

View Full Version : On Solid Ground Here, Right?

phredd
10-10-2005, 03:36 PM
I'm still a relative newbie, so I've been playing 5+.50 on PR. Game one, I have a solid read on my opponent as having an over-pair to a junk board, while I hold a set. I push, he calls, and spikes his 22:1 shot king. It cripples me and I'm soon out. Game 2, I hold AJos, and board comes down 44J with two spades. I push, A7 spades calls, spikes his flush and my FH redraw misses.

I now am down to 4xBB after I put my small blind on the table, and I'm short stack by at least 50%, with seven players remaining. Table folds to me, holding K7s. BB holds 4x my stack and is in third place at the moment.

I push.

This is a solid play, right? Maybe not perfect, but defensible? I'm just checking to make sure I haven't tilted.

microbet
10-10-2005, 03:44 PM
Not many people will read to the part you want the to read to because of the bad beats. I happen to be incredibly bored at work on a holiday, so....

Not pushing there would be very bad.

phredd
10-10-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not pushing there would be very bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Still a newb and I haven't yet read HoH, so I need to double-check from time to time. Thanks for suffering through the bad beat gripes.

kevkev60614
10-10-2005, 03:56 PM
I know it's nice to get a 2nd opinion, so here it is: Not pushing there would be very bad.

10-10-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still a relative newbie, so I've been playing 5+.50 on PR. Game one, I have a solid read on my opponent

[/ QUOTE ]How can you have a solid read on any opponent in a $5 SNG?

phredd
10-10-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How can you have a solid read on any opponent in a $5 SNG?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, as a newbie, I often have a better read at the lower limits. Certain opponents play very predictably. I find many of the higher-stakes opponents become opaque to me. That's why I hang out here: to try to learn what they are thinking....

Similar situation in Game 3: Bad beat when someone spikes their naked flush draw, then I have AJ and it is folded to me in SB. I push, and opponent calls with 77 and I lose the toss. Some days are just like that, I guess.

I'll keep plugging away.