PDA

View Full Version : Apples

Boris
10-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Next time you're at the store, check out the Jonagolds. They rock. Best apple I've had yet. Even better than the Fuji's. Don't listen to Diablo on this one. He hasn't been to the grocery store in 6 years.

Victor
10-10-2005, 02:52 PM
jonnagolds are good. they are kinda new.

melrose are great.

i love the crisp, very tart types so winesap is my favorite.

phage
10-10-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Next time you're at the store, check out the Jonagolds. They rock. Best apple I've had yet. Even better than the Fuji's. Don't listen to Diablo on this one. He hasn't been to the grocery store in 6 years.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just had some and they were delicious. The right balance of sweet/tart and wonderfully crisp.

offTopic
10-10-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do they taste compared to, say, some nice Valencias?

SCfuji
10-10-2005, 03:00 PM
hey boris

where are these from? even the name sound delicious.

fuji

astroglide
10-10-2005, 03:11 PM
i had an organic jona from whole foods, it was very good and an honest contender to the fuji throne. whenever i see an apple i haven't had i buy it.

BottlesOf
10-10-2005, 03:18 PM
I feel like I would very much benefit from going food shopping with you once. Any plans to be in NYC any time?

stabn
10-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Braeburn is the best. It's better than fuji although i definitely rank fuji a solid #2.

astroglide
10-10-2005, 03:24 PM
that would be a cool/random thing to do. no immediate ny plans but i'll probably end up there sometime next year.

i'm sure you're vastly overestimating whatever it is you've estimated about my buying, though...

10-10-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Next time you're at the store, check out the Jonagolds. They rock. Best apple I've had yet. Even better than the Fuji's.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just had some and they were delicious. The right balance of sweet/tart and wonderfully crisp.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is pretty gay.

BottlesOf
10-10-2005, 03:41 PM
I just feel like I'm pretty clueless in the supermarket, and I've noticed in a few threads you've had some cool purchases. PLus you're health concious, which is something I pay lip service to, but not much more. Plus I like your attitude towards produce.

Boris
10-10-2005, 03:57 PM
I can understand how someone could go for braeburns over Fujis.

Boris
10-10-2005, 03:58 PM
I don't know where they are grown but I get mine from Whole Foods.

GuyOnTilt
10-10-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Braeburn is the best. It's better than fuji although i definitely rank fuji a solid #2.

[/ QUOTE ]
Woot! God I missed good apples when I was down in CA. They don't even come close to comparing with what you can pick up at a local grocer up here. I'm already missing avacado though. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

GoT

Blarg
10-10-2005, 05:13 PM
We have good Fujis here.

I like Braeburns too, but they can't steal the apple crown from Fujis, for me anyway.

I'll keep an eye out for these Jonagolds.

tonypaladino
10-10-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How do they taste compared to, say, some nice Valencias?

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is a joke, it's not that funny

If you actually thought a valencia is an apple, then it is.

RacersEdge
10-10-2005, 05:19 PM
Have they been going crazy lately forcing these different apples to have sex with each other? Sounds like a fun job.

And who has tried the "grapple"?

stabn
10-10-2005, 05:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Woot! God I missed good apples when I was down in CA. They don't even come close to comparing with what you can pick up at a local grocer up here. I'm already missing avacado though. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

The avacado's you get here now are so terrible /images/graemlins/frown.gif. My grandparents definitely had it right living down there in the winter and up here in the summer.

stabn
10-10-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Have they been going crazy lately forcing these different apples to have sex with each other? Sounds like a fun job.

[/ QUOTE ]

We had a spliced apple tree when i was a kid that grew 5 different kinds of apples. It was supposed to be awesome. Unfortunately, a windstorm and flying piece of sheet metal [censored] up the plan the first year it was growing apples.

Boris
10-10-2005, 05:27 PM
I thought the joke was pretty funny.

wayabvpar
10-10-2005, 05:28 PM
Stopped at a roadside stand over the weekend while on a drive with the wife. Grabbed a mixed bag of Golden Delicious, Jonagolds, one or two other types that escape memory, and couple types of pears. Easily 15 pounds of fruit. The grand total? $3.

The best part was them cutting up all the different types and offering free samples of everthing. Buying fruit from a supermarket is no comparison to fresh off the tree. Wow.

On a related note, also stopped at the Reptile zoo on Hwy 2 while on the drive. Been by it many times, but finally stopped. It was cool as hell!

theben
10-10-2005, 05:31 PM
fujis are OK, but im all about the gala

astroglide
10-10-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

senor choppy had one over at his house. i looked at the package excitedly when he told me to look at the 'ingredients'. ingredients? wtf? apples, artificial flavoring. i'm not sure if this is true of all of them, but his was just a lot of syringe-injected regular apples. lame /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Blarg
10-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Absolutely. Fruits and vegetables taste totally different when fresh-picked than when you get them in the supermarket, and they're sometimes even different types entirely. Supermarket produce is often types that are grown specifically to last a long time on the shelf, not for flavor. Tomatoes, strawberries, peaches, papayas, and corn are some of the ones I can think of that can taste almost like a different type of plant when you get them fresh.

RacersEdge
10-10-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

senor choppy had one over at his house. i looked at the package excitedly when he told me to look at the 'ingredients'. ingredients? wtf? apples, artificial flavoring. i'm not sure if this is true of all of them, but his was just a lot of syringe-injected regular apples. lame /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's strange because the ones I tried had the texture of a grape - kind of like a plum.

BigBaitsim (milo)
10-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Honeycrisp.

AINEC.

Tron
10-10-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the joke was pretty funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.

The Yugoslavian
10-10-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Honeycrisp.

AINEC.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is sort of the 'correct' answer. However, it could be even more simply stated by just saying that any fresh apple will be miles ahead of whatever you're buying at the supermarket. I had no idea about this growing up in CA but I worked a summer at an arboretum apple store in MN and realized extremely quickly I had been eating nasty crap with absolutely no flavor my whole life.

Honeycrisp was *by far* the most popular and raved about apple we grew. IMHO it was probably 3rd on the best apples we had. The two best, however, had not actually been named yet /images/graemlins/frown.gif and may never be named or see the light of day. I can't even remember the names of the two apples I felt were superior than the Honeycrisp. One was a 'grandson' or something if you will of the Honeycrisp and I felt retained the crunchiness and sweetness but added a nice little tart kick of sassiness. That was the best apple I've ever eaten.

As far as store stuff during off season I don't really eat apples anymore almost purely b/c of my experience eating good apples at the apple store, /images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Yugoslav

Matt Flynn
10-10-2005, 07:48 PM
For me fuji > braeburn, but never had a jonagold.

I miss apple picking in MA, especially apple baseball. Nothing like hitting a home run, which by our rules was a total disintegration that splattered at least two fielders.