PDA

View Full Version : Biblical murder & rape

bluesbassman
10-10-2005, 02:50 PM
I was just wondering what Christians and Jews on this forum think about murder and rape in the bible, especially those acts committed or sanctioned by "god."

Murder and rape in the bible (http://www.evilbible.com/Rape.htm)

I assume most will "interpret" away these passages and/or blame Adam's dietary choices. I am just curious -- though I think the "god" described in the bible is hideously evil, that's not the fundamental reason why I am an atheist.

David Sklansky
10-10-2005, 04:54 PM
Glad I found you again. When I asked earlier "who ARE you", I meant your background, not your name.

RJT
10-10-2005, 05:17 PM
It makes good Art. Ever been to the Uffizi in Florence or the Met. Museum of Art in NYC?

Our friend, chez*, can vouch for me when I say Caravaggio (one of my favorites) does a great head of St. John the Baptist served on a plate to Salome.

*It’s in the National Gallery in London.

IronUnkind
10-10-2005, 05:25 PM
Why would there be any need for the religious to "interpret away" anything, when the prodigious minds of evilbible.com have already gifted us with such unassailable scholarship?

bluesbassman
10-10-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Glad I found you again. When I asked earlier "who ARE you", I meant your background, not your name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, of course I knew you didn't want to know my name, but I didn't know what you were asking or whether you just meant the question rhetorically.

I'm just some schmoe who likes to play online poker. I'm not sure what you mean by "background," but I can tell you that I have a PhD in aerospace engineering from a top university, and for a living I design attitude control systems for spacecraft. For fun (besides poker), as my handle suggests, I play bass in blues bands.

Does that answer your question?

RJT
10-10-2005, 06:12 PM
Bluesman,

[ QUOTE ]
I design attitude control systems…

[/ QUOTE ]

Good to know for future reference here on the forum. We all need controlled attitudes at times. Maybe David, will ask you to design one for here.

RJT

malorum
10-10-2005, 07:53 PM
God is good.
If its God's in line with God's will its good ,if not it's bad. Sin is a failure to act in accordance with God's will.
So the bible justly condemns a leaders failure to complete divinely ordained genocide.

Peter666
10-10-2005, 08:11 PM
I was really hoping that I would find justification for rape, as I have been rather horny the last few days, but alas, none of the quotes suggest that. In fact, it is quite clear that the women were NOT raped.

As far as the ethics goes, God pretty much left people alone to follow their natural and cultural guidelines until the incarnation of Jesus Christ. Even these days anyone can do as they please despite Divine Revelation ordering the contrary.

10-10-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as the ethics goes, God pretty much left people alone to follow their natural and cultural guidelines until the incarnation of Jesus Christ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know anything about the religion you profess to believe in?

Peter666
10-10-2005, 08:22 PM
I don't know, what do you think and why?

IronUnkind
10-10-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for a living I design attitude control systems for spacecraft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can same technology be applied to teenage girls?

malorum
10-10-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In fact, it is quite clear that the women were NOT raped.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you are right rape is a perjorative termm connoting crime. If God ordained it it isn't a crime by his standards.

I like his suggestion that when you capture a woman as the spoils of war, you get here to shave her head and only have your way with her after a full year. That way she gets a chance to get over the slaughter of her male relatives.

sexdrugsmoney
10-11-2005, 05:33 AM
I believe the main point unaddressed in this thread is the problem that labelling God "anything", denotes judgement.

Example: Your dog pisses on an antique chair in your home, you judge his action as bad because you are higher than him and have more intelligence and power.

Therefore if a God is higher than man, it is conceded that he would be more intelligent than any human, but also more powerful - therefore two questions arise:

1) Is God above your judgements and labelling?
2) If not, what are you - a human powerless to control many things in your life - going to do about it?

Hmm.

10-11-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe the main point unaddressed in this thread is the problem that labelling God "anything", denotes judgement.

Example: Your dog pisses on an antique chair in your home, you judge his action as bad because you are higher than him and have more intelligence and power.

Therefore if a God is higher than man, it is conceded that he would be more intelligent than any human, but also more powerful - therefore two questions arise:

1) Is God above your judgements and labelling?
2) If not, what are you - a human powerless to control many things in your life - going to do about it?

Hmm.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's ridiculous because your dog that pisses on your carpet didn't lay out the laws you live by, which include not pissing on carpets.

sexdrugsmoney
10-11-2005, 06:54 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />

That's ridiculous because your dog that pisses on your carpet didn't lay out the laws you live by, which include not pissing on carpets.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've confused the owner/pet relationship. A pet doesn't lay out laws, the owner does and attempts to train that pet to obey.