PDA

View Full Version : drive-thru pharmacy etiquette (applies in other situations too)

tdarko
10-10-2005, 02:06 PM
the CVS pharmacy drive-thru has two lanes. when i get there to pick up my refill there is a car in both lanes but not another car in site, so instead of committing to a lane and taking a chance of having the alternate lane's car leave and someone else pull up in that lane i decided to split it down the middle. i will explain.

i pulled up far enough to where no car could get around me and into one of the lanes if someone were to show up later and i didn't pull up too far leaving myself enough room to be able to get to which ever lane opens up first. so basically i am just sitting parked in the middle. hope this isn't confusing.

my question is:

1.) is this bad etiquette if a car(s) were to pull up behind me?

it was a slow sunday so no car ended up behind me so there was no altercation or anything.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 02:07 PM
I'd say you're good until someone else comes. At this point, you need to pick a lane. Feel free to take your time, though.

astroglide
10-10-2005, 02:10 PM
it depends. did you back in?

Los Feliz Slim
10-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Great question. Obviously it would be easier if there was one "feeder lane", but there isn't. Thus, I think you have to pick a lane. If you get stuck behind somebody slow and the other lane goes faster, so be it.

If you like this strategy, though, try it in the supermarket. Stand between two lanes, hopping back and forth, so that whichever lane moves faster is all yours. Video tape this, and post it.

tdarko
10-10-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to pick a lane

[/ QUOTE ]
would a person be upset if they show up and someone who was there first is in the middle waiting for the next available lane? personally, for me, it goes under the first come first serve law i learned in grade school /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Los Feliz Slim
10-10-2005, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to pick a lane

[/ QUOTE ]
would a person be upset if they show up and someone who was there first is in the middle waiting for the next available lane? personally, for me, it goes under the first come first serve law i learned in grade school /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody could choose to be pissed off by something like this, but it's hard to see how it would escalate. At the very least, somebody's going to drive up and think "Look at the douchebag sitting between lanes." The worst-case scenario is someone in a small car shows up and decides to make a game of it and attempts to squeeze through on one side or another.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The worst-case scenario is someone in a small car shows up and decides to make a game of it and attempts to squeeze through on one side or another.

[/ QUOTE ]
In this case, consult this thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3099949&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1) for the proper course of action.

RacersEdge
10-10-2005, 03:04 PM
This is actually a comcept from queueing theory. Its more efficient to have one line feeding both serving drive-up spots. Banks (inside) have it right, but I guess cars are different.

tonypaladino
10-10-2005, 08:27 PM
With only one car at each window and no one queued up it's fine. If there were two lines of cars, then you'd be a jackass for waiting in the middle

djoyce003
10-10-2005, 08:59 PM
with nobody else in line I think it's ok. If there are other cars present I think you have to pick a line. I do the same thing...I drive a big truck and nobody can make me move it if I don't want to.