PDA

View Full Version : Who's More Successful? SNL Edition

samjjones
10-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Which person has had a more successful post-Saturday Night Live career? There are a number of criteria which define success, amongst them popularity, quality of work, respect from their peers, and financial gain.

Claunchy
10-10-2005, 01:29 PM
A lot of these guys have gone on to make some funny, successful films, but only Bill Murray was able to transcend the goofy SNL schtick and do some really great work.

Reef
10-10-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm leaning towards Will Ferrell as of recently. Overall, maybe Eddie Murphy.

samjjones
10-10-2005, 01:34 PM
I think its interesting to see how we judge "success". Personally, if Eddie Murphy had died in a car crash in 1988, he wins this poll easily.

IndieMatty
10-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Is Steve Martin not included in this because he was "the host" of most of season one and not technically a cast member?

Soul Daddy
10-10-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm a huge Murray fan, but even I can't think of any criteria in which Murphy should not be winning. Anyone who thinks otherwise is too young to realize how huge of a star he was in the 80's. And it was well earned.

Amid Cent
10-10-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is Steve Martin not included in this because he was "the host" of most of season one and not technically a cast member?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Steve Martin should be in the poll. But he still finishes 2nd behind Bill Murray.

IndieMatty
10-10-2005, 01:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a huge Murray fan, but even I can't think of any criteria in which Murphy should not be winning. Anyone who thinks otherwise is too young to realize how huge of a star he was in the 80's. And it was well earned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I think Murrays continuous success vs Murphys 8 years of superstardom makes it close.

Los Feliz Slim
10-10-2005, 01:40 PM
Sandler and Myers make more per picture, by a wide margin, than any of the rest of these.

samjjones
10-10-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Only actual cast members and featured players were included.

Soul Daddy
10-10-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, I think Murrays continuous success vs Murphys 8 years of superstardom makes it close.

[/ QUOTE ]
This success you speak of is what exactly? Indie cred? He has undoubtedly made some great movies over the years. Somehow, the absolute stinkers and mail-ins go completely unnoticed. Regardless, a solid 30 year career is nowhere near as successful as being the biggest star in the world for a decade.

samjjones
10-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Outside of Ghostbusters, Stripes, and Groundhog Day, Murray's pictures have not done great boxoffice.

WDC
10-10-2005, 01:49 PM
I voted Bill Murray. I think that Billy Crystal and Robert Downey Jr should have been in the poll.

IndieMatty
10-10-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This success you speak of is what exactly? Indie cred? He has undoubtedly made some great movies over the years. Somehow, the absolute stinkers and mail-ins go completely unnoticed. Regardless, a solid 30 year career is nowhere near as successful as being the biggest star in the world for a decade.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, yeah, agreed.

samjjones
10-10-2005, 01:53 PM
Valid points.

Tailgunner
10-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Dan Akroyd starred in more films, wrote more, produced more, had more guest appearances and overall has been a great deal more prolific than Bill Murray in nearly all respects. The only thing Bill completely outshines him in is the number of awards he has won, and you can probably make an argument for popularity in Bill's favor as well. Chevy Chase is right up there with them, especially with his Walk of Fame star. It was a tough call, but in the end I had to vote for Dan.

Had Steve Martin been on the list it wouldn't even be close /images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="teal">~TG</font> /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ulysses
10-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Good poll. I voted Eddie Murphy and don't think it's very close.

Asufiji2004
10-10-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good poll. I voted Eddie Murphy and don't think it's very close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed totally. I believe I read somewhere that Murphy has the biggest box office gross among movies released during the summer months. Plus Raw wins this alone.

samjjones
10-10-2005, 02:17 PM
Delirious &gt; Raw, IMO.

ChicagoTroy
10-10-2005, 02:19 PM
An oscar nomination is pretty serious cred for a former comic.

imported_The Vibesman
10-10-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Outside of Ghostbusters, Stripes, and Groundhog Day, Murray's pictures have not done great boxoffice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's gotta be Murphy. He was the biggest thing in the prime of his career, and ushered in stand-up comedy's most successful era. Every stand-up comedian wanted to be Eddie Murphy, to come on stage to explosions and dancers, wearing a leather suit in front of a packed Madison Square Garden. He was a stand-up comedian that was as big as a rock star. As a movie star he was also A-list, one of the top paid film stars of his era, and every film was a guaranteed hit because he was in it. Beverly Hills Cop was one of the biggest movies ever, still 42st on top grossing movies of all time (Ghostbusters made almost 4 million more, but was not carried by Murray alone), and even the terrible sequel Bev Hills Cop II did better than superior movies like Gremlins, Lethal Weapon II and True Lies.

I also considered Mike Myers, due to the big success of Wayne's World, Shrek and the massive success of the Austin Powers films. But, despite his movie success, Mike never affected the world of stand-up the way Eddie did. It is however worth noting, when talking of "success" that there are four Mike Myers movies in the top 100 all-time grosses: Shrek II (3rd), Shrek (27th) and the 2nd and 3rd Austin Powers movies (58th and 55th respectively.)

So for me it's Eddie Murphy 1st and Mike Myers 2nd. If Steve Martin counts I'd put him 3rd, but he wasn't really a cast member.

Asufiji2004
10-10-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Beverly Hills cop did 230 million in 1984. His total US gross is approached 3 billion. Way more impressive.

Soul Daddy
10-10-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It is however worth noting, when talking of "success" that there are four Mike Myers movies in the top 100 all-time grosses: Shrek II (3rd), Shrek (27th) and the 2nd and 3rd Austin Powers movies (58th and 55th respectively.)

[/ QUOTE ]
Nice post. I do think I tend to underrate Myers. Not my cup of tea, but he has had a very good run. It's also worth noting that Murphy is featured in two of those movies as well.

tdarko
10-10-2005, 02:29 PM
i voted eddie murphy b/c its the correct answer though i like murray the most.

10-10-2005, 02:30 PM
Box office wise which basically correlates with popularity, Adam Sandler has been much more successful than many of you seem to be giving him credit for. He has been among the elite club of top paid actors for many years now and most importantly his movies are often very low budget which means his backend take of the profits is huge. I think only Murphy and Myers could possibly have made more money but my guess is still Sandler.

However, I'd put him toward the bottom of this list as far as how much I've enjoyed his movies compared to the others.

imported_The Vibesman
10-10-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But that doesn't equal "success." Plus it's just one role.

I read an interview with Steve Martin recently, for the release of his Pink Panther film (before it was pushed back to February release hell.) Steve, who has done some dramatic roles recently, was asked what he thought was harder, comedy or drama. Steve's reply (going from memory, so paraphrased):

Comedy is harder, it's really no contest. Listen, I have a friend, a comedian, who was getting acclaim for a dramatic role he did. I asked him, I said, "You're getting a lot of acclaim for this, that's great, was it tough?" He said, "Steve, comedy is so much harder. I'm getting great reviews because I stared at someone without blinking. And the only reason I was able to do it is because I was thinking about what I would have for dinner that night."

Personally, I immediately thought that Steve's friend was Bill Murray and the film was Lost in Translation. This story is neither here nor there, but I thought it was funny.

M2d
10-10-2005, 02:32 PM
what the hell? where am I
http://www.nndb.com/people/052/000024977/timkazurinsky01.jpg

mmbt0ne
10-10-2005, 02:33 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I think its interesting to see how we judge "success". Personally, if Eddie Murphy had died in a car crash in 1988, he wins this poll easily.

[/ QUOTE ]

If success = money (which is pretty much my barometer) Murphy takes this one hands down.

If success = most talented, then we can get into a discussion.

Army Eye
10-10-2005, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I also considered Mike Myers, due to the big success of Wayne's World, Shrek and the massive success of the Austin Powers films. But, despite his movie success, Mike never affected the world of stand-up the way Eddie did. It is however worth noting, when talking of "success" that there are four Mike Myers movies in the top 100 all-time grosses: Shrek II (3rd), Shrek (27th) and the 2nd and 3rd Austin Powers movies (58th and 55th respectively.)

So for me it's Eddie Murphy 1st and Mike Myers 2nd. If Steve Martin counts I'd put him 3rd, but he wasn't really a cast member.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, Mike Myers goes not get credit for the SHREK movies. Come on now. Mike is pretty much a one-trick pony with the Austin Powers stuff.. I would put Sandler ahead of him who has opened many massively profitable movies.

Dominic
10-10-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aykroyd and Downey Jr. also have had Oscar noms.

M2d
10-10-2005, 02:42 PM
I think another intersting question is which cast was most successful. I tivo the old SNL reruns on NBC latenight, and some of the old casts were loaded (not necessarily with talent, but with box office pull).

Dominic
10-10-2005, 02:43 PM
when was Ben Stiller an actual cast member???

imported_The Vibesman
10-10-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, Mike Myers goes not get credit for the SHREK movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? His voice, his character. I doubt that Shrek II is the 3rd top grossing movie of all time without him.

[ QUOTE ]
Come on now. Mike is pretty much a one-trick pony with the Austin Powers stuff.. I would put Sandler ahead of him who has opened many massively profitable movies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sandler doesn't have one movie in the top 100. Without counting the Shrek movies Myers has 2. Sandler has 2 barely cracking the top 100 if you adjust for inflation (without adjustment they are buried around the 140s), Big Daddy and Waterboy, and none of these were anywhere near as big as the Austin Powers films. Sandler has done some big box office, but he has raked in nowhere near as much as Myers or Murphy.

Eddie Murphy in his day could take a movie like "Coming to America" or "Vampire in Brooklyn" and turn it into a hit. I really agree with a previous poster that some of our younger guys might not remember just how big Eddie Murphy was.

mmbt0ne
10-10-2005, 02:48 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Is successful the highest grossing movies, or is it most money made?

If it's the latter, Sandler is 2nd, and by a fairly large margin. The fact that he owns a production company, writes a good deal of his movies, and serves as an executive producer on some other films, helps him out a lot.

imported_The Vibesman
10-10-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is successful the highest grossing movies, or is it most money made?

If it's the latter, Sandler is 2nd, and by a fairly large margin. The fact that he owns a production company, writes a good deal of his movies, and serves as an executive producer on some other films, helps him out a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good point.

ChicagoTroy
10-10-2005, 02:50 PM
By that standard, Mike Myers owns them all between the Austin Powers &amp; Shrek franchises.

10-10-2005, 02:55 PM
what have you done for me lately, Eddie? http://www.moviegeekz.com/media/daddy_day_care.jpg

Colonel Kataffy
10-10-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its about time someone brought this up.

imported_The Vibesman
10-10-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what have you done for me lately, Eddie? http://www.moviegeekz.com/media/daddy_day_care.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

This made: barely less than American Wedding, (less than 1mil less), more than Cat in the Hat, Charlies Angels II, more than Legally Blonde II, Lara Croft-The Cradle of Life, Old School, Shanghai Nights, 28 Days Later, Tears of the Sun and Once Upon A Time In Mexico, (among many others) in 2003. Even Eddie Murphy's "Haunted Mansion" did better than all these films except Legally Blonde II and Cat In The Hat.

You should know this, seeing as if you get half.

imported_The Vibesman
10-10-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Worse, why is Ben Stiller getting votes and Belushi has nothing?

ChicagoTroy
10-10-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The same reason Farley doesn't. You can't die younger than Jesus and win unless you are more famous than Him.

imported_The Vibesman
10-10-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The same reason Farley doesn't. You can't die younger than Jesus and win unless you are more famous than Him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I guess Belushi didn't make as many films as I seemed to remember him making. Still, Ben Stiller sucks out loud.

IndieMatty
10-10-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was "featured" for a few episodes in the 90s.

Edit: or as samjones likes to call the 90s "the 88/89 season". /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

samjjones
10-10-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Stiller was a featured player in the 88-89 season.

10-10-2005, 03:31 PM
This was very close but, pound for pound, I went Myers. Close to going with Sandler b/c I know he's probably made the most $$, and produces now.

But Myers had three successful AP movies and Shrek 1 and 2.

samjjones
10-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Don't forget about Wayne's World, which made a ton of money.

10-10-2005, 03:42 PM
And So I married an Axe Murderer... that thing made like 28.5 HUNDRED DOLLARS opening weekend. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ulysses
10-10-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He was a stand-up comedian that was as big as a rock star.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, don't forget about his music career! My girl wants to party all the time, party all time!!!! (Yes, that was a legit hit, and I think the one w/ Michael did OK too)

Phoenix1010
10-10-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

F-in brilliant.

Murphy wins this by a large margin, and I'm a much bigger fan of Murray.

imported_The Vibesman
10-10-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He was a stand-up comedian that was as big as a rock star.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, don't forget about his music career! My girl wants to party all the time, party all time!!!! (Yes, that was a legit hit, and I think the one w/ Michael did OK too)

[/ QUOTE ]

I did forget all about that.

The guy was really big.

Colonel Kataffy
10-10-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stiller was a featured player in the 88-89 season.

[/ QUOTE ]

I stand corrected. Talk about someone not leaving a mark though. I can't remeber ever seeing him in a sketch.

samjjones
10-10-2005, 04:11 PM
The only sketch I remember him from was doing Tom Cruise/Vince Lauria from "The Color of Money".

M2d
10-10-2005, 04:18 PM
Boogie in your butt

In your butt
Put the boogie in your butt
Put, put the boogie in your butt
In your butt

I ain't puttin no boogie in nobody's butt
That's nasty, man
What you talkin about
Puttin boogie in people's butt
Are you out yo mind or something?
Could go to jail for doin something like that

Step aside my friend
I been doing it for years
I say, sit on down, open your eyes
And open up your ears
Say, put a tree in your butt
Put a bumblebee in your butt
Put a clock in your butt
Put a big rock in your butt
Say, put some fleas in your butt
Say, start to sneeze in your butt
Say, put a tin can in your butt
Put a little tiny man in your butt
Say, put a light in your butt
Say, make it right in your butt
Say, put a TV in your butt
Say, put me in your butt
Everybody say

In your butt
In your butt

I, hey, that's, man, I ain't putting no trees in nobody's butt,
no bees in nobody's butt, putting nothing--
You must be out your mind, man,
y'all get paid for doing this?
Cause y'all gotta get some kind of money
Cause this don't sound like the kind of--
I'd rather golf, to be perfectly honest,
than put somethin in somebody's butt
to be truthful

Step aside my friend and let me
show you how you do it
When big bad E just rock rock to it
Put a case in your butt
Say, put a metal case in your butt
Say, put her face in your butt
Say, put a frown in your butt
Say, put a clown in your butt
Say, sit on down in your butt
Say, put a boat in your butt
Say, put a moat in your butt
Put a mink coat in your butt
Put everything in your butt
Just start to sing about your butt
Feels real good
When you sing about your butt, sing

In your butt

Now wait a second, now,
Do y'all get paid for this, for doing this?
Puttin the butt and all that stuff?
Really?
What's this? A 100 dollar bill?
I get to keep this 100 dollars if
I be puttin stuff in people's butts?
Really? Step aside.
Put a telephone in your butt
Say, put some dust in your butt
Say "it's a must" in your butt
Say, pizza crust in your butt
Say, put a telephone in your butt
Put a dinosaur bone in your butt
Put a radiator in your butt
I'll say "see you later" in your butt
Put an alligator in your butt
Say, put some money in your butt
Sure feels real funny in your butt
Say, squeeze it, please it, but don't tease it
Put it in your butt
Well, let me just say
Put a hot cup of Brim
Fill it to the rim
And put it in your butt
To the beat
Two sugars, stuff so sweet

In your butt

(sax solo)

In your butt

Put a quarter, put a penny,
put a dime, put a nickel
Sure do tickle
Just put it in your butt
Put some change in your butt
Feels mighty strange in your butt

imported_The Vibesman
10-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Now I'm really laughing my a** off. Totally forgot about this too.

Damn, I better go find "Delirious" on DVD or something.

B Dids
10-10-2005, 04:21 PM
Somehow I read this as "SSNL" edition and I thought it was a thread about people who won more than Sponger.

tonypaladino
10-10-2005, 04:53 PM
I voted for Murphy. Leaving off Billy Crystal, Martin Short and Roberd Downey Jr were a big oversight

I think these should have been included, even though I'm not sure any would have a shot:

Harry Shearer
Laurie Metcalf
Paul Shaffer
Gilbert Gottfried
Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Joan Cusack
Damon Wayans
Chris Rock
Rob Schneider

Several of these had had longtime success in a particular field.

samjjones
10-10-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I voted for Murphy. Leaving off Billy Crystal, Martin Short and Roberd Downey Jr were a big oversight

I think these should have been included, even though I'm not sure any would have a shot:

Harry Shearer
Laurie Metcalf
Paul Shaffer
Gilbert Gottfried
Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Joan Cusack
Damon Wayans
Chris Rock
Rob Schneider

Several of these had had longtime success in a particular field.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you seriously believe that somebody could make a case for Martin Short in this poll? Or Rob Schneider?

Also, studies have proven that having anything more than 9 or 10 choices in a poll diminish the voter's attention span, and dilute the efficacy of said poll.