PDA

View Full Version : Chirp chirp went the railbirds

Punker
05-25-2003, 06:25 PM
Online, 2-4 at Party.

I receive some Q /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif Q /forums/images/icons/spade.gif in the small blind. Its folded to an MP who raises. The cutoff and button cold call and I reraise. The big blind drops and the rest call. 4 see the flop for 3 bets.

The flop comes favorablish:

K /forums/images/icons/club.gif Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

I bet, the preflop raiser calls, the cutoff calls and the button raises. At this point, the person standing behind me says "Just call!". I declare that calling is for damn wimps and reraise. This folds the preflop raiser but the cutoff and button both call.

The turn transpires the:

K /forums/images/icons/club.gif Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif

Which would rank low on my list of preferred cards. However, I bet anyways and get called twice.

The river indicates the:

K /forums/images/icons/club.gif Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Which would rank higher on my list of preferred cards. I bet and get called twice.

So what do you think?

Abagadro
05-25-2003, 06:34 PM
If someone behind me said that at a B&M I would turn around and punch them in the nose.

RockLobster
05-25-2003, 06:52 PM
Um, was someone in the room with you, watching you play? Or was this an online railbird telling you to call, not having any idea what you held?

Either way, I think you played it perfectly.

CrackerZack
05-25-2003, 07:05 PM
I think I find your posts entertaining. WP.

Bob T.
05-25-2003, 09:40 PM
So what do you think?

What else you gonna do? Nice hand.

JTG51
05-26-2003, 12:57 AM
3-betting the flop was by far the best choice. You certainly can't be afraid of a better hand, so the only reason to call the flop raise would be to check raise the turn. I don't like that option here though. It would be a disaster if the button raised you with a flush draw then checked behind on the turn if a blank hit.

AceHigh
05-26-2003, 01:04 AM
Like JTG51 said, you don't want to give a free card on the turn, so keep the lead on the flop. The flop has lots of draws and they aren't folding, make sure they get charged on the flop and the turn.

"Online, 2-4 at Party."

"the person standing behind me says "Just call!". "

Who is standing behind you if you are playing online?

Punker
05-26-2003, 03:20 AM
Obviously I won. Hand histories revealed K5o and AJo (meaning I sucked out on the river against the turned straight). For those who asked, the person standing behind me was my roommate looking at the computer screen over my shoulder.

I thought 3 betting the flop was required exactly for the reason that the preflop raiser might have something like AJ, and given the already substantial pot, the focus was to try to win it and not suck an extra SB out of a gutshot who would be in no way incorrect calling if I just called. I also loathed his idea of calling the flop raise and checkraising the turn for the same reasons you all mention; that it may get checked behind on the turn.

Thanks for the comments.