PDA

View Full Version : Showing Hands Online

10-10-2005, 10:54 AM
I've found myself unable to resist showing big laydowns to tight players online. I'm talking like folding an overpair to him on the first sign of his aggression postflop, because I'm 95% sure I'm beat.

I figured it would be frustrating for them to see me folding overpairs to their sets.

I guess I'm interested in what effect this has on other players at the table, who are usually LAG's and loose-passive's.

This for NL 6-max, in which I play very TAG

Good idea? Bad idea? 'It depends' ?

DyessMan89
10-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Your going to need to change your avatar if you want people concentrating on your post.

4_2_it
10-10-2005, 11:17 AM
Bad idea. Why give anyone at the table extra info? Anyone using pokertracker now has a better read on your play. Table image is much more of a factor in live play.

The fish who sat down three hands ago never saw your Hellmuthian laydowns 4 orbits ago and will not respect your mid-pair bluff.

Jorge10
10-10-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bad idea. Why give anyone at the table extra info? Anyone using pokertracker now has a better read on your play. Table image is much more of a factor in live play.

The fish who sat down three hands ago never saw your Hellmuthian laydowns 4 orbits ago and will not respect your mid-pair bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post.

Also I notice that it only helps the good players when you show your hand. I mean bad players wont care. The only thing it does is give the good players that might be at the table better information to crush you later because they are the only ones that will remember it and will add it to their notes.

Also in your example you show your laydown to a tight player, why? Do you want him to try and bluff you and become more aggressive. I would want to keep him playing tight and predictable. If you start giving him reasons to believe a bluff might work, his play might improve and thats always bad.

TomCollins
10-10-2005, 01:26 PM
This is crap. Showing hands influences bad players tremenously. I like to make a big bluff near the beginning of a session on the river, usually all in, when I know my opponent can't call. I show the bluff. If I hit anything remotely good after that, guess who calls my all in... A terrible player.

4_2_it
10-10-2005, 01:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is crap. Showing hands influences bad players tremenously. I like to make a big bluff near the beginning of a session on the river, usually all in, when I know my opponent can't call. I show the bluff. If I hit anything remotely good after that, guess who calls my all in... A terrible player.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the best way you can extract money from bad players then I hope you sit to my right at all my tables. /images/graemlins/grin.gif You don't need FPS to get money from the fish.

What do you do when two new players sit at the table? Do you pull that stunt again and hope no one remembered it before?

Or are you a hit and run player that buys in for the minimum and leaves as soon as he doubles up (I can see where your play might must some sense there)?

Solid play is the sure fire way to take money from bad players (over the long run of course).

Dan Mezick
10-10-2005, 04:20 PM
This avatar's effect is pleasantly hypnotic.

bernie
10-10-2005, 04:50 PM
I'm sure it makes the more observant and better players on the table more than happy when you do this.

[ QUOTE ]
I figured it would be frustrating for them to see me folding overpairs to their sets.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sooo. You want them to adjust and play their sets differently so you will pay off more? ok.

b

Xhad
10-10-2005, 09:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sooo. You want them to adjust and play their sets differently so you will pay off more? ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Conversely, do you want them to adjust and represent a set when they don't have one knowing you'll make the laydown?

4_2_it
10-10-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Conversely, do you want them to adjust and represent a set when they don't have one knowing you'll make the laydown?

[/ QUOTE ]

If they don't know what you laid down how can they adjust? Villain probably puts hero on AK and without a pair.

If a villain is trying to represent a monster every hand someone at the table (hopefully hero) will take his money pretty rapidly.

Two points: Poker is a game of information. Get as much as you can about your opponents and give as little as possible back. You don't know how your information will affect villains' play. An unpredictable villain is -EV

Meta game considerations are generally a waste of time at any level below NL $200 and I have found few opponents at this level worth making a meta game move on.

Xhad
10-11-2005, 12:21 AM
I was agreeing with the above poster that showing hands is bad, I don't know why the heck the word "Conversely" sprung to mind there. I need to proofread my posts more.

tdarko
10-11-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your going to need to change your avatar if you want people concentrating on your post.

[/ QUOTE ]
you're going to have to change your location if you want people to take your advice seriously. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

10-11-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

BBD
10-11-2005, 07:56 PM
I think you're making yourself a big target. People are going to run plays on you a lot more than they would otherwise. jmo.

pokernicus
10-14-2005, 02:39 AM
I'm not much of a fan of showing big laydowns. I think this gives people the green light to try running over you. That's a good thing the one time you're holding a strong hand, but probably not so great the other ten times when you've got a marginally good hand.

I do show bluffs every now and then because I find that I'm much more likely to get paid off on my good/medium strength hands. I also sometimes show my powerhouse hands because it allows me to bluff more. I am still pretty selective about the hands I show because I don't want to give away too much about my play, but I want to do it enough to confuse my opponents and keep them guessing.

diebitter
10-14-2005, 05:57 AM
I used to show sometimes to try and bring tilt or encourage betting into me on good hands, but never do any more. I've found the less I do, the more the other players are likely to show theirs (particularly late in a tourny or short-tabled). This, combined with remembering their betting amount/patterns, sometimes gives a good read on stuff like high-cards rather than junk/ace-rag flushed hands and stuff like that.

RydenStoompala
10-14-2005, 07:40 AM
The correct answer is "it depends." Variance is as important as action. Don't too anything too often and don't repeat yourself. I've found that never showing anything works for me, but I am almost always on several tables and do not have time for goofing around. The poke-in-the-eye with a stick card flashes designed to piss people off by showing bluff cards only works on the "wounded and the weak."

Re: Your avatar: I think that's the father of a really hot girl I once dated. His name Earl?