PDA

View Full Version : Hand from B&M game, did i play this wrong?

10-10-2005, 09:41 AM
ok,1/2 NL game, i'm in middle position, i am dealt 68suited (would u guys play this?). about 4 players limp. Flop comes:

10s 7s 9c

UTG comes out with a $20. I call, and two behind me fold. Now heads up.

Turns comes Kc.

This time UTG comes out with a $40 bet. I call.

River is a 3d.

UTG fires away for $50. I call.

I have no read on UTG. as for chips, i have him covered. Should i have raised here? At first, I was worried about a flush draw on the board, but the K on the turn made my nut str8 the second best. I have to believe that he could possibly be holding QJ. or did i totally screw this one up?

4_2_it
10-10-2005, 10:24 AM
Here's my quick read:

1) You hate money
2) Fold this trash pre-flop. You were lucky to get into a multi-way pot OOP with a one gap. There are better spots to gambool it up.
3) ALWAYS Raise a straight on a non-rainbow flop especially if it is not the nuts. If re-raised I would probably push this flop.
4) The one thing you did well was disguise your hand while you were losing value. No way a decent villain put you on a 6 8 when you went into calling station mode. Did you beat his two pair/set?

What hands/flops will you raise with? You will not make any money playing this weak-loose style.

Sorry if I come across a little harsh, but from your post it appears that you want an honest evaluation of this hand.

10-10-2005, 10:26 AM
I think you played this too passive. I would have been raising from the flop on. Aggression is the key in NL.

Stop playing the 68.

10-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Wow 4_2_it, good freakin call, he had two pair and was lookin to pair up again for a boat.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I was big blind as I was playing tight all night. I wasn't even playing K10 from late position.

Pre flop, I was raising with hands like AK, AA, KK, QQ, JJ. Most of the time, everyone would fold as they were picking up on my tight style of play. But isn't this what I am looking for? I want people with dominated hands to call against me.

Also, this started to work in my favor. i.e. I have pocket j's, raise preflop, flops comes A Q 4, all clubs. UTG checks, i bet $20. He ponders and then folds, I show my JJ and he bangs his hand on the table, probably had top pair.

Also, you dont sound harsh. This is the kind of critical feedback I need to improve my game. Thanks for your honest opinion.

10-10-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you played this too passive. I would have been raising from the flop on. Aggression is the key in NL.

Stop playing the 68.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agression is my problem. Playing online, i am rated LAG per PT. (it got me no where, lost so much money). Playing live, i play tight as a rock. I think why I can't be aggressive is becuase I am scared someone will come over the top and put me all in, that's why I simply called the $50 bet on the river.

Granted, I started with $200 and at the point, was up to a little over $800. Still scared.

wslee00
10-10-2005, 11:23 AM
1) I think calling this pre-flop is fine esp in live play. It's an easy hand to get away from if you don't hit, and can make you a bundle if you do hit
2) raise the flop - there's a two flush on the board and there could be one card straight draws out there you have to get those out.
3) But b/c you called the flop, I'd say go ahead and raise the turn. If he comes over the top, I wouldn't like it, but considering he bet $20 into an $8 pot, I'd have to call it b/c I don't put him on a drawing hand w/ that big of a bet.

4_2_it
10-10-2005, 11:45 AM
I actually like your your call if you were in the BB (since it was free:)).

If your table image is super TAG, I like an occasional (I said OCCASSIONAL) raise in this spot. If you hit a monster you get paid, if not you make a pot sized continuation bet and consider a second bullet on the turn if you think you can still induce a fold. Again, this is a meta-game play, but not a horrible one if you getting too much respect when you raise your premium hands.

One thing that concerned me was that in another post you were scared that someone would come over the top of you. Playing scared is a VERY big leak. Sure sometimes people come over the top and sometimes you get stacked. There is a degree of luck involved in each hand. You cannot play optimal poker if you are results oriented. Get your money in when you have the best of it and over the long term you will be very successful.

Good luck

10-10-2005, 11:55 AM
preflop: no i would not play it unless you were in LP and a bunch of limpers.

flop: you flopped the second nuts on a flush draw board. RAISE here. double his bet. his flop bet of 20 indicates he is not on a draw and has a hand that he wants to protect. TPTK, two pair or set. if the board pairs watch out.

given the line you played, i dont see how you cant raise this river. still only 1 hand that beats you. i push.

10-10-2005, 12:13 PM
thanks for all the suggestions guys.

After the hand, i was talking to the other player during a cigarette break, and he asked me if i would call an all in bet, i said yes, saying that there is one hand that can beat me, if you got, you gonna get paid, etc....

Then i asked if he would have called had i came over the top on say the flop of turn, he said no way.

As for playing scared, i know, need to work on this part of my game. This is why i like playing the short stack as described in GSHE.

10-10-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
preflop: no i would not play it unless you were in LP and a bunch of limpers.

flop: you flopped the second nuts on a flush draw board. RAISE here. double his bet. his flop bet of 20 indicates he is not on a draw and has a hand that he wants to protect. TPTK, two pair or set. if the board pairs watch out.

given the line you played, i dont see how you cant raise this river. still only 1 hand that beats you. i push.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is another problem i have. ok, so i flopped a made hand, but lots of things can happen on the turn + river. With my opponent on a spade flush draw, and 2 spades on the flop, I never know whether I should take the pot down right there with an over the top bet, or let it go to the river and pray another spade doesnt hit. lately, i have been letting it go to the river and hope for the best.

I guess the answer to this question depends on alot of things.

yvesaint
10-10-2005, 01:00 PM
raise the flop, flush card could kill your action

raise the turn, flush card / board pairing could kill your action

raise the river, you have the 2nd nuts

if your stack isnt in the middle by the time the hands are shown, or villain has already folded, youre doing this completely wrong

dont

play

scared

you beat every hand but 1

gol4pro
10-10-2005, 01:08 PM
Non nut straights are very difficult to play on flush boards.

Therefore, since there's pretty much 15 cards you don't want to see on the turn, I don't want to get the pot HUGE YET. So I call the flop as well-- makes it easier if a scare card comes on the turn.

However, you draw a blank turn-- Bingo. He fires again, and now you can pop him hard. I usually raise 2/3 of the pot here, to get pretty much all the money committed on the river.

River-- HAVE TO RAISE HERE. Enough said.

4_2_it
10-10-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Non nut straights are very difficult to play on flush boards.

Therefore, since there's pretty much 15 cards you don't want to see on the turn, I don't want to get the pot HUGE YET. So I call the flop as well-- makes it easier if a scare card comes on the turn.

However, you draw a blank turn-- Bingo. He fires again, and now you can pop him hard. I usually raise 2/3 of the pot here, to get pretty much all the money committed on the river.

River-- HAVE TO RAISE HERE. Enough said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain over bet the pot on the flop. He is not on a draw. You are missing value not raising this flop. If a club hits the turn you still have the best hand and no action to boot. If the board pairs then I am getting very concerned.