PDA

View Full Version : NFL Playoffs

PsYcHo-ScHnAuZeR
10-10-2005, 08:38 AM
I don't follow football. Imagine my surprise to discover that they now have 4 divisions in each conference.

I always liked the old playoff system (having the 2 bye teams and home field advantage made it worth playing your best even once you clinched a playoff spot)

How does the new playoffs work now that they have 4 divisions?

10-10-2005, 09:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't follow football. Imagine my surprise to discover that they now have 4 divisions in each conference.

I always liked the old playoff system (having the 2 bye teams and home field advantage made it worth playing your best even once you clinched a playoff spot)

How does the new playoffs work now that they have 4 divisions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you hear? President Kennedy's been shot.

DRKEVDC
10-10-2005, 09:18 AM
Hey don't make fun of him, they just got power back on in the cave.

PsYcHo-ScHnAuZeR
10-10-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Kennedy was on the Supreme Court. When did he get elected President?

Hornacek
10-10-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought Kennedy was on the Supreme Court. When did he get elected President?

[/ QUOTE ]
Who the hell is Kennedy? And any idea why President Roosevelt looks so different on the picture screen these days?

PsYcHo-ScHnAuZeR
10-10-2005, 09:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Who the hell is Kennedy? And any idea why President Roosevelt looks so different on the picture screen these days?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bully for Roosevelt. His daughter Alice is soooo hot. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

jstnrgrs
10-10-2005, 11:52 AM
The playoff system is the same as it was. Division winners get seeds 1-4. There are two wildcards who get seeds 5 and 6. The top two get first round byes.

PsYcHo-ScHnAuZeR
10-10-2005, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The playoff system is the same as it was. Division winners get seeds 1-4. There are two wildcards who get seeds 5 and 6. The top two get first round byes.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not as good as the old system. There used to be an incentive for the wildcard teams to fight for home field advantage (the top wildcard got it). The best wildcard is usually better than the worst divisional champ (but just has the misfortune of being in the same division as the best team in the conference).

jstnrgrs
10-10-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is not as good as the old system. There used to be an incentive for the wildcard teams to fight for home field advantage (the top wildcard got it). The best wildcard is usually better than the worst divisional champ (but just has the misfortune of being in the same division as the best team in the conference).

[/ QUOTE ]

How is it that someone who cares as much as you do doesn't notice the change until the fourth year that it is in effect?

PsYcHo-ScHnAuZeR
10-10-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How is it that someone who cares as much as you do doesn't notice the change until the fourth year that it is in effect?

[/ QUOTE ]

Football bores me, but the playoff system was sheer genius, making the last week of the season matter to everybody who had a shot or was already in the post-season. It was a truly great system, competing for byes, competing for home field advantage even as a wildcard team. Beautiful.

Unfortunately the actual games are infested with prima donna players, making football suck.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Football bores me, but the playoff system was sheer genius, making the last week of the season matter to everybody who had a shot or was already in the post-season. It was a truly great system, competing for byes, competing for home field advantage even as a wildcard team. Beautiful.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can tell you haven't been paying any attention to the NFL whatsoever in the last 4 years.

PsYcHo-ScHnAuZeR
10-10-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I can tell you haven't been paying any attention to the NFL whatsoever in the last 4 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me more. Is the new playoff system beautiful?

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me more. Is the new playoff system beautiful?

[/ QUOTE ]
It works well. Also, the playoff spots and home field advantages have been hotly contested right up until the final game of the year. You also have more room in your schedule for inter-divisional games, not to mention the even number of teams in each division. The only downside is that you have a greater chance for an 8-8 team to get into the playoffs than before at the expense of a worthy potential wildcard team.