PDA

View Full Version : New Jetta anyone?

DasLeben
10-10-2005, 04:23 AM
So I'm thinking about getting a 2006 Volkswagen Jetta under their college graduate plan pretty soon. Anyone around here own one? Love them? Hate them?

A couple pics for you OOTiots:

http://www.edmunds.com/media/roadtests/roadtest/05.volkswagen.jetta.2.5/05.vw.jetta.2.5.r34.500.jpg
http://autonet.ca/Safety/2005/04/25/jetta1.jpg

astroglide
10-10-2005, 12:01 PM
i found the asian styling off-putting at first, but if you eliminate the "german necessity" it's a decent-looking car

i'd suggest getting a gli model if they have one available

10-10-2005, 12:37 PM
I saw one yesterday and it looked nice from the back but when I looked at the driver who was a 70-75 yrs. old grandma, the car didn't look to good anymore.

gorie
10-10-2005, 12:42 PM
i always loved the look of jettas but i am not sure i like the new model judging from the pictures /images/graemlins/frown.gif

miajag81
10-10-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i always loved the look of jettas

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, yeah, they're chick cars.

gorie
10-10-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
good thing i am a chick then ?
i had a crush on a guy that drove a blue jetta, he was sexy.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 12:49 PM
No.

rohjoh
10-10-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

rohjoh
10-10-2005, 01:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was gay

gorie
10-10-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was gay

[/ QUOTE ]

nope.
even if he was i'd still hump him, he drives a jetta.

canis582
10-10-2005, 01:25 PM
They are made in Mexico. Cross your fingers when you sign for it. Maybe you won't have it in the shop every 5k.

rohjoh
10-10-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He was gay

[/ QUOTE ]

nope.
even if he was i'd still hump him, he drives a jetta.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think they are chick cars, not quite as bad as Cabriolet's, but pretty close.

10-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Mazda 3 >>>>> Jetta

DasLeben
10-10-2005, 02:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mazda 3 >>>>> Jetta

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. I've driven both, and I hated the Mazda 3. The driving dynamics just don't fit me at all.

Now, let me clarify something. First off, I can't afford a GLI. If I could afford a GLI, I wouldn't be buying a Jetta in the first place. I'd probably be in an Audi A3.

Second, VW has an awesome lease deal right now on it, which isn't beat by any other non-American car company out there right now.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Mmmmm... lease...

lighterjobs
10-10-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

was his name jeff?

Boris
10-10-2005, 02:48 PM
alot of guys will think you're effinate but it will probably help you pick up women.

coffeecrazy1
10-10-2005, 02:50 PM
For the purposes of this thread, I, too, drive a blue Jetta. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

DasLeben
10-10-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
alot of guys will think you're effinate but it will probably help you pick up women.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean "effeminate"? Who cares about that bullshit anyways? I need an affordable car.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I need an affordable car.

[/ QUOTE ]
How much is this Jetta? It's been a little while since I've actually looked at VWs seriously, but when I did a couple years ago, they were overpriced and not a good value at all.

Voltron87
10-10-2005, 02:56 PM
does anyone have any impressions on the honda element?

DasLeben
10-10-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
How much is this Jetta? It's been a little while since I've actually looked at VWs seriously, but when I did a couple years ago, they were overpriced and not a good value at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "2.5" (I'm not sure why they call it that, since even the Value Edition is a 2.5L I-5) is running around $20k base. But, there is a lease deal for college graduates that's $0 due at signing, $269/month for 36 months (12k miles/year).

The real direct competitor to this car right now is the Volvo S40, which is something like $22-23k base.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The "2.5" (I'm not sure why they call it that, since even the Value Edition is a 2.5L I-5) is running around $20k base. But, there is a lease deal for college graduates that's $0 due at signing, $269/month for 36 months (12k miles/year).

The real direct competitor to this car right now is the Volvo S40, which is something like $22-23k base.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the base model Jetta? I wouldn't pay $20k for a base Jetta and something tells me $269/mo. isn't a good deal on a lease, either. Leases are a lot more difficult to make a good judgement on value precisely, so chances are you're going to get hosed on it because they know this just as well as (better than) the consumer does.

Do you have an aversion to Japanese cars? I'd look for something in the $16k-$20k range from Subaru, Honda, and Toyota. You already said you don't like the Mazda 3, so I guess that's off the list. The Subaru Impreza 2.5 is a highly underrated car with an MSRP starting at $18k. If you live somewhere with inclement weather, the all-wheel drive is a huge plus. It also handles very well and has a pretty good 173hp boxer engine (I like boxers). Hondas are always a solid value - you wouldn't be going wrong with an Accord or a Civic and they're both in your price range.

stabn
10-10-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
does anyone have any impressions on the honda element?

[/ QUOTE ]

*vomits*

Benal
10-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Just spend the extra $$$ and go for an Audi A4.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 03:20 PM
Also, when I graduated from school a few years ago, I found that almost all the car companies had some sort of college grad or new buyer incentive program, even if it wasn't aggressively advertised. I'd check it out everywhere you're interested in if I were you.

RunDownHouse
10-10-2005, 03:21 PM
I don't understand how you can reconcile "I need an affordable car" with leasing a brand-new car.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand how you can reconcile "I need an affordable car" with leasing a brand-new car.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I just looked past this and assumed he was just really stuck on getting a new car. New cars are a terrible investment, but I don't see anything wrong with a kid treating himself to a new car as a reward/treat when he gets out of school and into a job (as long as he can afford it).

Claunchy
10-10-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I just looked past this and assumed he was just really stuck on getting a new car. New cars are a terrible investment, but I don't see anything wrong with a kid treating himself to a new car as a reward/treat when he gets out of school and into a job (as long as he can afford it).

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't OP a waiter?

DasLeben
10-10-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is the base model Jetta? I wouldn't pay $20k for a base Jetta and something tells me $269/mo. isn't a good deal on a lease, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, VW actually breaks up the Jetta line up into four categories: Value Edition, 2.5, TDI, GLI.

The $20k car I was referring to was the base model 2.5, which has things like ESP, an Audi-ish MFD on the dash, etc. It also comes with actual rims instead of hubcaps. The Value Edition (which I probably will end up with due to affordability) has the same engine as the 2.5 (again, the 2.5L inline-5), but doesn't have that MFD, has hubcaps, and only comes in cloth seats. The Value Edition is the *real* base model car, which as I've said, is in the high $17ks.

[ QUOTE ]
Leases are a lot more difficult to make a good judgement on value precisely, so chances are you're going to get hosed on it because they know this just as well as (better than) the consumer does.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I did sell cars for a while, so dealing with a dealership is not a difficult thing for me. I'm quite knowledgable of (and have personally used) many of the techniques used to "hose" people. At any rate, as long as the lease comfortably fits my budget and driving style, I won't be getting ripped off.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you have an aversion to Japanese cars?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. I've driven a Toyota for almost 7 years now. If I had my first pick, I'd probably end up in the Scion tC. The only issue with that car is that Toyota Financial doesn't have the same college graduate program that Volkswagen does.

[ QUOTE ]
The Subaru Impreza 2.5 is a highly underrated car with an MSRP starting at $18k.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have a look at that. At the same time, I hated how the WRX drove, so we'll see.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The Subaru Impreza 2.5 is a highly underrated car with an MSRP starting at $18k.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll have a look at that. At the same time, I hated how the WRX drove, so we'll see.

[/ QUOTE ]
What didn't you like about the WRX? The handling or the turbo lag? Did you drive a stick or a slush box? The 2.5 has better low-end torque/power than the WRX because it's a 2.5L (instead of 2.0L) engine and has a higher compression ratio.

DasLeben
10-10-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't OP a waiter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, good catch. I happen to make semi-decent cash at my job, which would allow me to lease a new car.

Let's also make it very clear that me being a "waiter" doesn't have a damn thing to do with this topic, considering that I can afford the car. Just for your future reference as well, I'm doing this job for the next 3 months before moving to CA to attend ATC school (and I can't/won't bring my truck with 181k miles on that move). But, you wouldn't have picked that up from my previous posts either.

Just to address one more concern: The reason I would like a new car is because of the warranty. I'm sick and tired of having to come up with repair costs myself. You have no idea how good a spanking new car with a nice warranty looks to a guy that drives a beater '94 Toyota Pickup with too many miles on it.

stabn
10-10-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Isn't OP a waiter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. IMO he should just buy something like a 3-5 year old Corolla or Accord but some people just can't do the most fiscally responsible thing and instead want a cute new car.

DasLeben
10-10-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What didn't you like about the WRX? The handling or the turbo lag? Did you drive a stick or a slush box? The 2.5 has better low-end torque/power than the WRX because it's a 2.5L (instead of 2.0L) engine and has a higher compression ratio.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't the performance of the car at all. The turbo lag was a bit much, but that can be dealt with. I mostly didn't like the jerky gearbox (I drove a manual), numb steering, and overall feel of the suspension. I guess some people would call me snobbish, but I tend to have a very sensitive and picky mind for such things in a car.

stabn
10-10-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't OP a waiter?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, good catch. I happen to make semi-decent cash at my job, which would allow me to lease a new car.

Let's also make it very clear that me being a "waiter" doesn't have a damn thing to do with this topic, considering that I can afford the car. Just for your future reference as well, I'm doing this job for the next 3 months before moving to CA to attend ATC school (and I can't/won't bring my truck with 181k miles on that move). But, you wouldn't have picked that up from my previous posts either.

Just to address one more concern: The reason I would like a new car is because of the warranty. I'm sick and tired of having to come up with repair costs myself. You have no idea how good a spanking new car with a nice warranty looks to a guy that drives a beater '94 Toyota Pickup with too many miles on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

A used 2000 or 2001 corolla would clost you less per month and you'd have something to show for it after 2-3 years. If you own it for 4-5 years having 2-3 years w/o payments and with the occasional repair cost is an insanely good deal.

DasLeben
10-10-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. IMO he should just buy something like a 3-5 year old Corolla or Accord but some people just can't do the most fiscally responsible thing and instead want a cute new car.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You're welcome to read my reply to his post before you act like a tool.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't the performance of the car at all. The turbo lag was a bit much, but that can be dealt with. I mostly didn't like the jerky gearbox (I drove a manual), numb steering, and overall feel of the suspension. I guess some people would call me snobbish, but I tend to have a very sensitive and picky mind for such things in a car.

[/ QUOTE ]
And you liked the Jetta better? Or was the Jetta bumped up just for the price/financing?

DasLeben
10-10-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A used 2000 or 2001 corolla would clost you less per month and you'd have something to show for it after 2-3 years. If you own it for 4-5 years having 2-3 years w/o payments and with the occasional repair cost is an insanely good deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Driven plenty of those too. I simply dislike a lot of the econo-box cars that you see out on the road. The Jetta (and Scion tC) are exceptions. If I'm going to get a car, I might as well like it right?

DasLeben
10-10-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And you liked the Jetta better? Or was the Jetta bumped up just for the price/financing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's comparing apples to oranges, honestly. The Jetta takes the cake simply for the pricing and affordability.

astroglide
10-10-2005, 03:51 PM
ok you guys can be a part of history and have open discussion about him buying MY car. opportunity sort of fell into my lap, i'm about to buy an A3 and was planning on trading in, privately selling, or ebaying my jetta.

it's a 2003 with 14,000 miles on it. i'm the only owner, a non-smoker, and nothing has ever been smoked in the car. it hasn't been in any accidents. regular oil changes, 100% synthetic. only premium gas has been used. when the car was new it had a line dealing with the master cylinder not attached properly. that was attached and there have been no service issues in 2.5 years of driving.

it's black with black leather, and it has all of the dealer options. i can't recall all of them, but it includes premium sound, moonroof, heated seats/mirrors/wiper nozzles, sport seats, etc. i still have the window sticker so i can look it up. msrp on the car was about 26k. i've also added molded rubber floormats and changed the stock pedals to aluminum ones.

this is the last 'good' gli. there used to be a big separation between the 1.8t and the gli, big differences being engine and luxury options. mine is a vr6 200hp with 195lb/ft of torque and a 6-speed manual. the year after this was made the gli was kind of turned into a '1.8t deluxe' with the same 4 cylinder engine and various chrome improvements, but no options like leather or heated seats.

i'm an idiot for wanting to flip such a nice, problem-free car and eat thousands of dollars worth of standard depreciation on it but i want an a3 so that will be that. it would be nice to sell it hassle-free and not have to deal with trade-in negotiations or private sale to somebody random.

so the car's never broken. i've never had sex with a man, either. feel free to talk about whether you think this is a good option for him or that sort of thing, i'm fine with all the cards being on the table. i think it's a steal of a deal under 20 grand in terms of power and creature comforts. i've got a mild case of used-car-itis and i want to kick myself in the ass for offering this car to anyone, i think it really is a best-case scenario for a used buyer and i'm completely trustworthy.

pics from right after i bought it are HERE (http://www.badbeat.com/pics/jetta/). some pics show a spoiler, i had that removed (traded trunk lids with a non-spoiler jetta). pics don't show the floor mats or pedals which really add a lot to the interior look.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's comparing apples to oranges, honestly. The Jetta takes the cake simply for the pricing and affordability.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's completely apples and oranges. I guess what I'm getting at is that I want to ask what car in the sub-$20k price range do you find that fits all these (self-described) picky tastes of yours? It sounds like the real problem with the WRX is the $24k price tag more than the gearbox. I personally think there are better cars to be had than the Jetta for $20k, but if that's the car you like the best in the price range, then go get it. I think the best advice for the common man is to steer clear from leases, but if you know enough about how leases really work and are able to get in there and figure out what a true value is on a lease (I suspect $269/mo isn't) and can negotiate to it, then go do what makes you happy.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 03:56 PM
Just as a complete aside, you blew a lot of money for no reason on premium gas. It doesn't do anything for a Jetta (or any other naturally aspirated, normal compression ratio car).

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think it's a steal of a deal under 20 grand in terms of power and creature comforts.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't know the used car market all that well, but $20k sounds a bit high. I'd certainly take a look at it, though. DasLeben should check it out. You won't be able to get anywhere near as good of financing on a used car loan, though, as on a new one. You might be able to find something, though. I'd check it out.

astroglide
10-10-2005, 04:02 PM
i'm not asking 20k for it. the loan bit is probably true. i don't know what he has in terms of cash to apply toward it, but i would think it would be a value to get so much car for the same amount of money as whatever in addition to the fact that the "standard" drive-off-the-lot depreciation is already worked into the car. plus it's been around for a few years with nary a problem so reliability concerns are signifigantly allayed.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Assuming you guys are somewhat close to each other and could arrange this somewhat easily, this could be a great deal for DasLeben if he really likes the Jetta. I'd certainly rather have this car than a brand new base/near base model for a similar price.

fsuplayer
10-10-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just spend the extra $$$ and go for an Acura TL

[/ QUOTE ]

Boris
10-10-2005, 04:20 PM
yea I meant effeminate. can't type today.

joecash
10-10-2005, 04:23 PM
You are right dude. Leasing is sweet. I lease my RX-8 and I never have to worry about repairs. If they need to fix anything, I just get a loaner car and come back the next day.

Patrick del Poker Grande
10-10-2005, 04:26 PM
Does nobody else here think that repairs and maintenance are more than just a money issue? My time and convenience are worth a considerable amount to me.

astroglide
10-10-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does nobody else here think that repairs and maintenance are more than just a money issue? My time and convenience are worth a considerable amount to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's the only REAL bother for me. if my tv broke and i could just stick $200 in it to make it work, it really wouldn't be that big of a deal. calling people, making arrangements, dealing with crap during business hours, moving stuff around, etc is enough of a nightmare.

gorie
10-10-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

was his name jeff?

[/ QUOTE ]
no.

DasLeben
10-10-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

was his name jeff?

[/ QUOTE ]
no.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, "Bruce" is the ultimate gay man's name. Just ask Adam Corolla.

lighterjobs
10-10-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

was his name jeff?

[/ QUOTE ]
no.

[/ QUOTE ]

i know three guys named jeff who drive blue jettas.

i figured this had to be one of them.