PDA

View Full Version : $50NL: Flopped a draw, turned another, raised on the river.

bobbyi
10-10-2005, 03:10 AM
Unknown opponent. Several decisions here. How is my play on the flop? Having picked up a big draw, should I have made some play for the pot on the turn? Can I call this river raise?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed)

Hero ($52.35)
BB ($50)
UTG ($43.65)
MP ($15.65)
CO ($56.45)
Button ($22.20)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($2) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $1</font>, Button folds, Hero calls $1, BB folds.

Turn: ($4) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $1</font>, Hero calls $1.

River: ($6) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $10</font>, Hero calls $6.

Final Pot: $26

orange
10-10-2005, 06:44 AM
I think this is ok. It is usually not optimal to draw on paired boards, but Villan let you draw for cheap-I call the river here everytime.

10-10-2005, 06:48 AM
By the looks of it I think villian was semi-bluffing with a higher flush draw, after he makes another weak $1 bet on the turn, he seems to be trying to draw himself for cheap. Saying that though he could have a much wider range of hands that make this callable on the river.

I would however fold this on the flop, I don't like drawing to baby flushes on paired boards, heading for disaster.

soah
10-10-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he seems to be trying to draw himself for cheap

[/ QUOTE ]

checking would be cheaper

TheWorstPlayer
10-10-2005, 10:34 AM
Fold the flop.

PinkSteel
10-10-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Fold the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're folding that flop, would you even complete preflop?

Would leading or checkraising the flop be way-out-there-stupid as a semibluff?

With preflop limping and a rag flop, I would have led the flop and folded to a raise. Would someone wiser please smack me around?

TheWorstPlayer
10-10-2005, 10:53 AM
I will often fold preflop.

soah
10-10-2005, 10:58 AM
If your opponents are tight enough that you won't get action on your flush, then the conditions are probably right for a flop bet. Hell... sometimes I'll even lead at these flops when I'm almost certain I'll be called, as it lets you get paid off so much better if you hit.

TheWorstPlayer
10-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Oh, I definitely agree with this. If I'm completing preflop (which I am often) and if I'm playing past the flop (which I am often) then I'm leading out for a PSB. I just meant that as played, that $1 looks extremely suspicious and I think it is a higher flush draw or a full house almost the entire time. Therefore, I don't like my hand here. This hand is also pretty crap from worst position and I will therefore fold it preflop at a tough table.

soah
10-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Many players at these stakes make bets like that because they have no idea of what the hell they are doing, not because they have some secret plan to sucker you in drawing dead.

10-10-2005, 01:01 PM
would be ok to call the raise but be prepared to lose when he turns over bigger flush. his whole betting looked like he was on a draw as well.

bobbyi
10-10-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By the looks of it I think villian was semi-bluffing with a higher flush draw, after he makes another weak $1 bet on the turn, he seems to be trying to draw himself for cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]
If we put him on a flush draw from his bet on the turn, wouldn't my best play be a large raise to try to take him off his hand? The play is believable because it mimics a flop slowplay and in the unfortunate event that he calls me with a bigger flush draw, I have a goodly amount of straight and pair outs to fall back on plus I can take it down on a blank river if we both miss.