PDA

View Full Version : "your drug money is supporting terrorism"

bholdr
10-10-2005, 03:01 AM
"your drug money is supporting terrorism/criminals/etc"

Is this a legit argument against drug use? why/why not?

I say 'no', and will explain if anyone cares.

TightIsRight
10-10-2005, 03:18 AM
It's a legit argument for legalization. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

bernie
10-10-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"your drug money is supporting terrorism/criminals/etc"

I say 'no', and will explain if anyone cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't your gas money also be supporting terrorism? I feel like smoking a bowl now.

b

nothumb
10-10-2005, 03:33 AM
I think consumers are responsible for how they invest their money. There are degrees here when you purchase drugs. For instance, a bit of homegrown cheeba is supporting your buddy with the hydroponics lab... some high quality smack is more likely to come from jihad country and kill Jewish babies or what have you.

This, of course, extends to all things you do. I gave roughly a quarter of my income last year to a bunch of criminals, and I didn't even have a choice about it. So you pick your battles.

NT

PoBoy321
10-10-2005, 03:41 AM
This might be a discussion more suited for politics, but I'll bite.

It's a legitimate argument in that it is likely that some money spent on drugs finds its way into the hands of international terrorists. What delegitimizes the argument is the fact that nearly any money spent on any product or service, whether or not it is legal, will eventually find its way into the hands of terrorists (in all fairness, it will also likely end up with the Red Cross, 700 Club and NASCAR drivers). While it could be said that it may get into the hands of terrorists faster through the drug market than through, say, Wal-Mart, that doesn't mean that some money spent at Wal-Mart never ends up in the hands of terrorists.

xadrez
10-10-2005, 09:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a legit argument for legalization. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No reason for a /images/graemlins/shocked.gif as this is 100% correct.

vulturesrow
10-10-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This might be a discussion more suited for politics, but I'll bite.

It's a legitimate argument in that it is likely that some money spent on drugs finds its way into the hands of international terrorists. What delegitimizes the argument is the fact that nearly any money spent on any product or service, whether or not it is legal, will eventually find its way into the hands of terrorists (in all fairness, it will also likely end up with the Red Cross, 700 Club and NASCAR drivers). While it could be said that it may get into the hands of terrorists faster through the drug market than through, say, Wal-Mart, that doesn't mean that some money spent at Wal-Mart never ends up in the hands of terrorists.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only problem is that we know that the sale of drugs (mostly heroin) is directly financing Islamic terrorism. Its not a vague scenario like you outlined. That said, poster who said this is a clear argument for legalization is completely correct.

Tailgunner
10-10-2005, 11:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't your gas money also be supporting terrorism?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried getting out of a speeding ticket with that argument... that I was going 55 in a 35 because it's the most fuel-efficeint, thereby doing my American duty to deny funds to Iraqi terrorists. He countered by telling me the fine would support our fine American government instead.. hey, what ya gonna do.

<font color="teal">~TG</font> /images/graemlins/cool.gif

ChristinaB
10-10-2005, 11:55 AM
nothumb is right.

Buy American.

http://i.infoplease.com/images/usa.gif

peachy
10-10-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nothumb is right.

Buy American.

[/ QUOTE ]

god i thought u were gone...

jokerthief
10-10-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't your gas money also be supporting terrorism?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried getting out of a speeding ticket with that argument... that I was going 55 in a 35 because it's the most fuel-efficeint, thereby doing my American duty to deny funds to Iraqi terrorists. He countered by telling me the fine would support our fine American government instead.. hey, what ya gonna do.

<font color="teal">~TG</font> /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of these posts are awesome. Kudos all around.

dtbog
10-10-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The fallacy of this argument makes me want to buy more drugs every time I hear it.

Slow Play Ray
10-10-2005, 05:14 PM
I can't decide which commercial pisses me off more - this one, or the one where the stoners hit the little girl riding her bike through the drive-thru.

threeonefour
10-10-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nothumb is right.

Buy American.

[/ QUOTE ]

if americans only bought american products.... we would all (non americans and americans alike) be worse off.

in reference to the OP. i agree with others that is a horrible argument. first of all, you aren't supporting anything other than drug production. you are voting with your dollars for a durg market. you have no control with what happens to the dollars once you engage in a transaction. its no longer your property. thats the whole point of trading.

STLantny
10-10-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nothumb is right.

Buy American.

[/ QUOTE ]

if americans only bought american products.... we would all (non americans and americans alike) be worse off.

in reference to the OP. i agree with others that is a horrible argument. first of all, you aren't supporting anything other than drug production. you are voting with your dollars for a durg market. you have no control with what happens to the dollars once you engage in a transaction. its no longer your property. thats the whole point of trading.

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to get your joke detector checked.

JonPKibble
10-10-2005, 05:24 PM
FIGHT TERRORISM - GROW YOUR OWN!

wonderwes
10-10-2005, 05:24 PM
All the chronic I buy is usually local.

threeonefour
10-10-2005, 05:27 PM
This
[ QUOTE ]
I think consumers are responsible for how they invest their money.

[/ QUOTE ]

contradicts this point.
[ QUOTE ]
There are degrees here when you purchase drugs. For instance, a bit of homegrown cheeba is supporting your buddy with the hydroponics lab... some high quality smack is more likely to come from jihad country and kill Jewish babies or what have you.

This, of course, extends to all things you do. I gave roughly a quarter of my income last year to a bunch of criminals, and I didn't even have a choice about it. So you pick your battles.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

once you trade your money for a service its no longer your money. so you are responsible for how you invest it but you obviously can't be responsible for how those same dollars get invested down the line.

all the us dollars held by mobsters were at one time issued by the treasury. they probably got onto the market when the federal reserve bought some Tbills in its open market opertations.

so is the federal reserve responsible to the nth degree because there at n market transactions between it and a mobster?

jokerthief
10-10-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't decide which commercial pisses me off more - this one, or the one where the stoners hit the little girl riding her bike through the drive-thru.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta say; slow play, I'd love to Roll with you someday. If you know what I'm saying. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

threeonefour
10-10-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You need to get your joke detector checked.

[/ QUOTE ]

i just replied. my reply is 100% correct regardless of whether or not its a joke. a lot of people are against free trade. those people are effectively against having a higher standard of living.

Slow Play Ray
10-10-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta say; slow play, I'd love to Roll with you someday. If you know what I'm saying. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah - through a drive-thru, right?

10-10-2005, 11:36 PM
I was made to believe terrorists were arabs, not some green thumb Canadian exploiting the US market. No offense Canadians, I love you guys!

Il_Mostro
10-11-2005, 01:55 AM
Of course you can, and should be, responsible for how your dollars are spent down the line.
A hypothetical example:
You buy drugs from the local thug. He buys the drugs he sell you by a afghani drug-lord who spends a lot of money funding terrorism.
You know this, or have a very real hunch that it is so. That makes you have a small but real responsibility for what your money are used to fund. After all, you know what the money will be used for, and still you buy the drugs.

Consumers not taking responsibility for what their money is used for down the line is the biggest problem with present-form capitalism, in my mind.

mason55
10-11-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course you can, and should be, responsible for how your dollars are spent down the line.
A hypothetical example:
You buy drugs from the local thug. He buys the drugs he sell you by a afghani drug-lord who spends a lot of money funding terrorism.
You know this, or have a very real hunch that it is so. That makes you have a small but real responsibility for what your money are used to fund. After all, you know what the money will be used for, and still you buy the drugs.

Consumers not taking responsibility for what their money is used for down the line is the biggest problem with present-form capitalism, in my mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how is that electric car working out for you?

Il_Mostro
10-11-2005, 02:10 AM
The electrical car likely won't ever be a real option. But that's not what this is about. And even if it was, you know that in the US 50% of the electricity comes from coal-burning, right? Thus, even using an electric car is severely bad for the environment.

I did not say I'm not guilty of spending money that in the end are used for things I don't agree with. I said when one does that one must accept resonsibility for it.

Sponger15SB
10-11-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"If you're high on marijuana, don't ride your bike"

TheBlueMonster
10-11-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"If you're high on marijuana, don't ride your bike"

[/ QUOTE ]
I've ridden stoned before. It's really really fun. The speed and wind is a cool sensation. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Voltron87
10-11-2005, 02:25 AM
how about the old "the cia sponsors the cocaine trade and CIA agents sell crack" story? is there any truth to that at all?

mason55
10-11-2005, 02:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The electrical car likely won't ever be a real option. But that's not what this is about. And even if it was, you know that in the US 50% of the electricity comes from coal-burning, right? Thus, even using an electric car is severely bad for the environment.

I did not say I'm not guilty of spending money that in the end are used for things I don't agree with. I said when one does that one must accept resonsibility for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My point was that you probably use gasoline in your car. You probably use a lot of plastic. Where do you think the money for these things ends up?

What about the electronics from China that I bet you have? The money for that goes to the Chinese government.

I guess you can take responsibility for where your money goes but if you're trying to keep your money from going to anyone bad it's going to be very very very tough. I would much rather buy some weed that is probably from the US or Canada than know that I'm sending my money to governments that support terrorism or rule their population with an iron fist.

I don't give a [censored] about it anyways though. Time to get high and play with my dad's guns.

mason55
10-11-2005, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how about the old "the cia sponsors the cocaine trade and CIA agents sell crack" story? is there any truth to that at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

The CIA did funnel money through South American drug cartels, as well as weapons. You're smart I know you've heard of Iran-Contra.

The CIA is not responsible for crack though. They were way too busy inventing AIDS to kill the gays.

Il_Mostro
10-11-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess you can take responsibility for where your money goes but if you're trying to keep your money from going to anyone bad it's going to be very very very tough.

[/ QUOTE ]
As i said, I belive the lack of consumer responsibility is the biggest problem with present-form capitalism. And even more so since it's so intervined with the system itself that it is, as you point out, almost impossible to actually take real responsibility.

mason55
10-11-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess you can take responsibility for where your money goes but if you're trying to keep your money from going to anyone bad it's going to be very very very tough.

[/ QUOTE ]
As i said, I belive the lack of consumer responsibility is the biggest problem with present-form capitalism. And even more so since it's so intervined with the system itself that it is, as you point out, almost impossible to actually take real responsibility.

[/ QUOTE ]

So lets smoke a joint and listen to Bob Marley and we'll worry about saving the Earth tomorrow /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Il_Mostro
10-11-2005, 02:40 AM
Can we go for Ben Harper instead? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voltron87
10-11-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The CIA did funnel money through South American drug cartels, as well as weapons. You're smart I know you've heard of Iran-Contra.

The CIA is not responsible for crack though. They were way too busy inventing AIDS to kill the gays.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah im up on the iran contra stuff.

i had a big argument in a class today about drug dealers. apparently there are people who think that the whole "stop snitching" thing is a political statment saying blacks should run their own communities and the police/the man should step out. no you dumbasses, it means "bitch if you tell anyone im selling crack here i'll kill you and your kids". apparently crack dealers are now legitimate concious political thinkers.

their argument was "well i understand them selling crack because theyve been marginalized and since their schools suck so much they have no choice. theyre doing it to support themselves, and the CIA funds it. [this point was emphasized, when i said "well crack does some bad [censored] to the inner city you know" the response was 'well blame the CIA' k. thnx.] also, according to their logic the whole black inner city community is a marxist bloc that supports crack dealers and would rather let them do their thing instead of letting the police come in to handle it. k. literally, im not making that bit up.