PDA

View Full Version : Im now a Guardian Angel - your opinion on something pleas

tonypaladino
10-10-2005, 02:24 AM
I just officially became a member of the Guardian Angel Security Patrol.

If you've lived in NYC for a while, you may have seen them patroling the subways at night, wearing red jackets and berets. Or at least, NYer know about Curtis Sliwa, the founder, who is always in the news from when Gotti Jr tried to off him.

My first patrols are likely to be Street patrols in Queens where there has been increased gang activity. We are not allowed any weapons besides a radio, flashlight, and sometimes handcuffs.

My question is, should I carry some sort of weapon? I am seriously considering concealing a stun gun or knife, or at least pepper spray. Is this a good idea? Would you do the same?

shant
10-10-2005, 02:25 AM
Are you being serious here? Why did you decide to join?

mason55
10-10-2005, 02:26 AM
All the Gaurdian Angels I've ever run into have been complete douche bags to me. Please don't be like that.

MelchyBeau
10-10-2005, 02:26 AM
have you made out a will yet?

Melch

tonypaladino
10-10-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
All the Gaurdian Angels I've ever run into have been complete douche bags to me. Please don't be like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

In what way? I really have not experience running into them on the streets or anything? I'd appreciate if you could elaborate.

edfurlong
10-10-2005, 02:28 AM
Guardian Angel's are douche bags. Don't be that douche bag.

[censored]
10-10-2005, 02:30 AM
It is their policy to not carry weapons right? Why would you join a group like this without intending to follow the policy?

Go with a maglight.

mason55
10-10-2005, 02:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In what way? I really have not experience running into them on the streets or anything? I'd appreciate if you could elaborate.

[/ QUOTE ]

1 want t0 except 1 sp1113d a beer 1n th1s |<3yb0ard 30 sec0nds ag0 and ha1f the |<eys st0pped w0r|<1ng

tonypaladino
10-10-2005, 02:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you being serious here? Why did you decide to join?

[/ QUOTE ]

Since I quit my job I've been thinking about doing some worthwhile volunteer work.

Also, I feel New York city is on a down-swing crime-wise and most people don't realize it.

Where I live (the south of Park Slope in Brooklyn), 20 years ago, there would be crack vials and hypodermic needles in front of my house and all over the neighboorhood. The neighboorhood now has a huge influx of yuppies, and became one of the safest in the city.

ABC news even featured the area right were I live as one of the lowest crime areas about 4 years ago. Over the last year or so however, there have been violent crimes, and it is not uncommon to hear gunshots at night sometimes. A year ago i would not give a second thought to walking the streets aroun here at 3 in the morning, but now I don't feel so safe. My sister is now 18 and I worry about her going out at night and having to walk home from the subway.

The guardian angels took this city back from the hellhole it became in the late 70's, and I honestly think if enough people help them out, they can keep it from slipping back.

Voltron87
10-10-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The guardian angels took this city back from the hellhole it became in the late 70's

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf no they didnt

tonypaladino
10-10-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is their policy to not carry weapons right? Why would you join a group like this without intending to follow the policy?

Go with a maglight.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the official policy, but from what I understand, its not uncommon for angels to carry pepper spray. I don't intend to do it if there is serious oposition to if from my superiors.

Incidentally, I saw this week Costco has a big ass maglight with holster and belt clip. I'll probably pick it up.

I am very interested to hear what negative encounters people had, and what city/when this was.

TONY

tonypaladino
10-10-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The guardian angels took this city back from the hellhole it became in the late 70's

[/ QUOTE ]

wtf no they didnt

[/ QUOTE ]

elaborate?

Blarg
10-10-2005, 02:39 AM
Carrying something that could get you arrested is counter-productive.

It could also reflect negatively against the group, and it sounds like that's not at all what you want to have happen.

Voltron87
10-10-2005, 02:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It could also reflect negatively against the group, and it sounds like that's not at all what you want to have happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

see now blarg is just damn smart.

TheMainEvent
10-10-2005, 02:41 AM
Are you normally patrolling alone, or are there usually 2 of you, or more?

tonypaladino
10-10-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

see now blarg is just damn smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

alright no weapons. I would like to hear some more detailed opinions on the GA in general.

tonypaladino
10-10-2005, 02:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you normally patrolling alone, or are there usually 2 of you, or more?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe street patrols are 4-8 people. Someone told me subways aare 2-6, but I don't know