PDA

View Full Version : stupid wine situation @ dinner

irishpint
10-10-2005, 01:05 AM
dinner w/ a cheapskate friend (there were 4 of us total) and he orders the cheapest wine. It's not under 'Red' or 'WHite' but 'Italy'. He says that's great since he loves Italian wine. As the waiter brings it out and UNSCREWS THE CAP he asks him if it was a shot in the dark or if he intentionally choose the dessert wine. What is our play and wtf, why didn't he say something about it when my idiot friend ordered it?

We ended up drinking 8% sparkling, chilled, dessert wine. It was gross and not acceptable. Was my friend just an idiot or should the waiter have mentioned something when he ordered about it being a dessert wine? Also, when he brings up and mentions something AFTER opening it, should we have been upset?

miajag81
10-10-2005, 01:09 AM
What restaurant was this? The waiter definitely should have pointed it out when he ordered it IMO.

Claunchy
10-10-2005, 01:09 AM
Way to [censored] up a decent post by including a retarded poll.

Your friend is a moran, but the waiter probably should have said something. So C: all of the above, with a little extra emphasis on A.

tonypaladino
10-10-2005, 01:10 AM
Your friend is both an idiot and the waiter should have said something before opening the bottle. You should have complained to management.

irishpint
10-10-2005, 01:15 AM
Those that say my friend is an idiot are right, he is. But. Would YOU have known that it was a dessert wine? It was under a heading 'Italy', not on a dessert menu or complete with a description. Even if the waiter didn't know it was a dessert wine after he found out he should have come back and tell us. It's +EV to have happy customers when they are going to be tipping you, plus all the other wines were $10 more or so, which is another $2 tip for him. But on the other hand screwing us might be worth that to him (it would be for me, i know).

10-10-2005, 01:17 AM
Waiter should not have said anything. It's a difficult situation for the waiter... you don't want to question your table... might lose a tip. Who's to know whether the jackass ordering the wine really does know what he wants. Though perhaps the waiter could have mentioned it being a dessert wine when the bottle was presented.

10-10-2005, 05:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Kill his family

[/ QUOTE ]

This option cracked me up for some reason. That waiter is a clown.

10-10-2005, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
As the waiter brings it out and UNSCREWS THE CAP

[/ QUOTE ]
Sheer snobbery. There are some excellent wines out today from well regarded winemakers which have screw tops. It's a superior way of sealing and preserving the wine. It's becoming more and more common.

Regarding the waiter, some people drink that kind of stuff with their dinner. Go figure. Perhaps he should have politely mentioned it was dessert wine, but it doesn't deserve a complaint to management imo.

10-10-2005, 06:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Those that say my friend is an idiot are right, he is.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who's the more foolish: The fool, or the fool who follows him?
http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/8668/obiwan6ct.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

stigmata
10-10-2005, 07:10 AM
1) Your friend is an idiot
2) The waiter is a douchebag
3) There is nothing neccesaraly wrong with screwcap wine
4) You should have sent the wine back and refused to pay for it, regardless. You pay a premium to eat in even an average priced restraunt, and you therefor shouldn't have to take any [censored].

peachy
10-10-2005, 07:54 AM
honestly ur friend [censored] up...when i waited tables/bartended most people ordering wines KNEW what they liked, what was good, or someone in thier party knew what they wanted (suggested something), etc. If they didnt know what a wine was or wanted a recommendation i would give them one...if someone ordered a wine outright and confidently i didnt say a word - if i did it would appear rude and condisending to question THIER choice, thus killing my tip. Maybe im more lineant b/c ive been a waitress...the most i would have done would have been like "i wish u would have told me this was a dessert wine" and grinned and beared my friends idiotic mistake.

DoubleDown
10-10-2005, 07:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You should have sent the wine back and refused to pay for it, regardless. You pay a premium to eat in even an average priced restraunt, and you therefor shouldn't have to take any [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree with the above.

curious to know what your total bill was, and how much, if any, you decided to tip.

Lazymeatball
10-10-2005, 08:05 AM
One time I went to this fairly fancy upscale italian restauraunt and ordered calimari and asked the waiter for a wine recomendationd. He seemed kind of young and said something about a Pinot Noir so I went with it. It was my mistake for putting faith in someone whom it should've been obvious was not up to date on his wine selections. It was a fine wine, and a good meal, but the two certainly did not go together. Last time I ask a waiter for a hint on wine selection.

dibbs
10-10-2005, 08:11 AM
Your friend messed up and the waiter messed up by saying anything at all, he should have just shut up and served it.

stigmata
10-10-2005, 08:13 AM
The way to deal with this as a waiter is to reply "Would you like the dessert wine now, as an appertif, or after your meal, Sir?"

Or some other way to let the cutomer correct their own mistake without being rude.

It is, however, rare to find a good waiter/ess.

peachy
10-10-2005, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The way to deal with this as a waiter is to reply "Would you like the dessert wine now, as an appertif, or after your meal, Sir?"

Or some other way to let the cutomer correct their own mistake without being rude.

It is, however, rare to find a good waiter/ess.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not sayin that the waiter couldnt have been tactful about it...but if someone orders in confidence im not gonna challenge it for the most part...bottom line it is not this waiters fault its the friends...

samjjones
10-10-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Those that say my friend is an idiot are right, he is.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who's the more foolish: The fool, or the fool who follows him?
http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/8668/obiwan6ct.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

[/ QUOTE ]
Obi-Wan is wise. Why did you let the tool who knows nothing about wine order for all of you? That is horrible.

nyc999
10-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Sounds like the restaurant's fault. It's their responsibility to identify the wines (at least by type). You have every right sending it back.

Tailgunner
10-10-2005, 10:06 AM
Dude, just screw the cap back on, ask the waiter for his/her suggestion and make your friend feel like an idiot for being so cheap. It's not like the wine is going to get any worse, but if they don't take it back call for the manager and embarrass your friend further.

I didn't vote because I was looking for a "Kill your friend" option, since the whole thing could have been avoided by ordering a decent vintage.

canis582
10-10-2005, 10:13 AM
Any situation with wine is stupid. Drink beer, moran.

rusellmj
10-10-2005, 10:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, just screw the cap back on, ask the waiter for his/her suggestion and make your friend feel like an idiot for being so cheap. It's not like the wine is going to get any worse...
I didn't vote because I was looking for a "Kill your friend" option, since the whole thing could have been avoided by ordering a decent vintage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about the Ripple this guy ordered but wine goes bad rather quickly.

I've had these douche bag waiters before. Guess they have limited opportunities in their daily lives to feel superior. Once, after a waiter told my date not to get "snooty", I told him not to speak anymore.

10-10-2005, 10:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Any situation with wine is stupid. Drink rum, moran.

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

Tailgunner
10-10-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about the Ripple this guy ordered but wine goes bad rather quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the point.. if you need to screw off the cap, it's already bad /images/graemlins/wink.gif

<font color="teal">~TG</font> /images/graemlins/cool.gif

StevieG
10-10-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

That was the point.. if you need to screw off the cap, it's already bad /images/graemlins/wink.gif

<font color="teal">~TG</font> /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Bad assumption. (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_4_212/ai_115040907) Screwcaps do just fine for taste, and can help prevent corking.

About 80% of American households do not own a corkscrew (Economist magazine estimate). Winemakers would do well to get more people enjoying their great product if they could shake this silly stigma.

Robbe
10-10-2005, 12:09 PM
If the wine was not listed as a dessert wine, then the waiter ought to be parboiled, then deep-fried and served with fava beans and a nice chianti.

Hannibal

Namdrahsirhc
10-10-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
honestly ur friend [censored] up...when i waited tables/bartended most people ordering wines KNEW what they liked, what was good, or someone in thier party knew what they wanted (suggested something), etc. If they didnt know what a wine was or wanted a recommendation i would give them one...if someone ordered a wine outright and confidently i didnt say a word - if i did it would appear rude and condisending to question THIER choice, thus killing my tip. Maybe im more lineant b/c ive been a waitress...the most i would have done would have been like "i wish u would have told me this was a dessert wine" and grinned and beared my friends idiotic mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im gonna have to go with Peacy here. Although it should be noted that the place you were at should have made it clear that the wine is a dessert wine. As for the waiter, he should have kept his mouth shut and just poured the wine instead of trying to make you feel dumb. This is coming from a waiter of 4 years in a nice italian restaurant