PDA

View Full Version : Does my DVD player have progressive scan output?

BottlesOf
10-09-2005, 11:05 PM
I don't think it does, but I'm not sure. How can I tell? I have an HDTV, I need this feature in my dvd player for the picture to look good right? how much would such a dvd player cost and is there a particular one best buy sells that i should get?

thx.

send_the_msg
10-09-2005, 11:20 PM
if you paid more than 75 bucks and within the last 1.5 yrs almost certainly yes

tonypaladino
10-09-2005, 11:22 PM
I think progressive scan is the blue, yellow and pink(?) jacks that look like the standard 3 plug output, but all 3 are video. It might say color-scan, color-stream, or progressive-video on by the jacks.

send_the_msg
10-09-2005, 11:22 PM
but just google the model number to be sure

send_the_msg
10-09-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think progressive scan is the blue, yellow and pink(?) jacks that look like the standard 3 plug output, but all 3 are video. It might say color-scan, color-stream, or progressive-video on by the jacks.

[/ QUOTE ]

those are component video outputs, but i'm not sure this means you definitely have progressive scan.

tonypaladino
10-09-2005, 11:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

those are component video outputs, but i'm not sure this means you definitely have progressive scan.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, my bad.

jason_t
10-09-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't. Progressive scan has to do with the algorithm the DVD player uses to decide which electrical signal to send out of those outputs.

10-09-2005, 11:25 PM
DVD's aren't even close to HD quality, so it really doesn't matter. Starting this winter you'll be able to get there though.

Pretty much every new dvd player has progressive scan now. I got the cheapest they make, and its progessive scan.

NorCalJosh
10-09-2005, 11:27 PM
there isnt one "progressive scan output". progressive scan is how the disc is read, and short of an upconverter will give you the best picture. like someone said, if you bought it in the past couple years and paid 75+ for it, chances are its a progressive scan dvd player. to take advantage of that, you need to be running component video cables to your hdtv at the very least. that is the red green and blue outputs. if you have a dvd player that upconverts into an hd signal, you'll need a dvi or hdmi output. but if you have a dvd player that upconverts, it most definately has one of those outputs.

BottlesOf
10-09-2005, 11:34 PM
There are the specs. It's a few years old, so I dunno if it has this feature or not. The outputs are the standard Red, white and yello, and then there's one labeled "component video out" this has green, blue and red holes, labeled Y, Pb, Pr.

cnet link (http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_DVP_NS300___DVD_player/4507-6463_7-30097748.html?tag=tab)

Any thoughts on wheter this has progressive scan? If not, I want to buy another tomorrow, as there is a bit of a sale, and i have ag ift card to use.

10-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Do you have the box it came in?

Most clearly say progressive scan on them.
Reading that descrription I would have to think it doesn't though. No mention any where.

Although if you want true HD your gonna have to wait (http://www.hddvd.org/hddvd/)

jason_t
10-09-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

There are the specs. It's a few years old, so I dunno if it has this feature or not. The outputs are the standard Red, white and yello, and then there's one labeled "component video out" this has green, blue and red holes, labeled Y, Pb, Pr.

cnet link (http://reviews.cnet.com/Sony_DVP_NS300___DVD_player/4507-6463_7-30097748.html?tag=tab)

Any thoughts on wheter this has progressive scan? If not, I want to buy another tomorrow, as there is a bit of a sale, and i have ag ift card to use.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it does. Go into the video options for the DVD player and see if you see anything about 3:2 dropdown etc.

BottlesOf
10-09-2005, 11:41 PM
i dont have the box, this thing is several years old. i doubt it is prog. scan. as for waiting, i don't think i'm gonna wait, i'll get what i can now and be pretty happy with it.

10-09-2005, 11:45 PM
If your not looking for anything fancy looking, I'd just go to Wallmart or something similar and get whatever is cheapest. Probably can find one for under 20.

BottlesOf
10-09-2005, 11:45 PM
didn't see anything like that. the picture looks fairly weak, and i read reviews on this tv and people said dvds looked awesome. i get to buy a new one woooooooot!

BottlesOf
10-09-2005, 11:46 PM
I gotta spend a $500 Best Buy card, I think we can do better than $20! Any added features to look for?