PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the online poker market correction we want?

PokerPaul
10-09-2005, 09:57 PM
So party wants to somehow get all players who have left them for rb deals from skins, and this is what they do.

In effect, they are screwing over their own partners, and temporarily screwing themselves a bit, in hopes that all us high volume players will return in long run.

Of course that will leave their former skin partners pretty pizzed.

What can they do to combat this? Well, by look of things combined they can still get over 7-8000 players nightly, not as strong as party, stars or UB.....BUT still a good sized presense.

Basically, all they can do is severely cut the rake they take to a more competitive level. The fat is soo thick in the online poker industry, that a lower rake might still yield them some nice profits, and their customers could still enjoy the lowest cost to do business on the web.

And before you tell me that zerorake and other low rake poker sites couldnt hack it, that was due to them not having any traffic to get them going.

A nightly mass of 7000-10000 players playing, AND a low rake structure ($1 or $1.50 max) could definitely be a winning formula.

If that would work, i think that eventually their competitors would have to follow suit.

I might be dreaming, but there could be some logic behind it....i hope.

10-09-2005, 11:31 PM
It seems to me that online poker has been out there long enough and there are enough different sites, that if a site could severely cut rake and make a decent profit, they would have done it by now.

Also, is it clear that Party Poker is better off with the handful of multi-tablers there are out there? (I imagine that the vast majority of players are playing one or two tables at a time and don't do it for hours every day.) Maybe the playing environment for the masses will be better without the sharks.

Justin A
10-10-2005, 01:28 AM
The skins still play on Party's network and therefore don't have the ability to change the rake.

Dudd
10-10-2005, 01:57 AM
Party had something like a 60% profit margin when they filed for their IPO. I'm pretty sure they could afford to lower the rakes and still make a decent profit.

goofball
10-10-2005, 03:55 AM
The fish wouldn't care at all if you took a dollar less out of their pot. Offer a frequent, significant bonuses though, that's the only way I think.

Really, I think they're fcuked though.