PDA

View Full Version : Flopped the nut flush - did I play this right?

ECondreras
05-24-2003, 08:20 PM
Just entered a .50/$1 game at Party. On the first hand, after posting the BB, I am dealt 32o. I get ready to hit the check/fold button as I start browsing a magazine. I hear the betting get to me, quickly look up and click, and realize that I just called a raise - oops!. It gets called around and long story short, I flop a set of 2's and catch a 3 for the boat on the turn. Won 15bb. I almost want to apologize to the other players, but I have been beaten by worse and they meant to play it /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

Anyway, next hand I am dealt A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif in the button-2. 3 fold and 7 limp, including myself.

Flop comes K /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif J /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Flopped the nuts and feel pretty good. UTG bets, fold, fold, raise, I call, fold, fold, original bettor reraises, another reraise by original raiser, I call cold, call.

Should I have dropped the gloves and started swinging with these guys? The betting capped, so I guess they figured that I was either trapped or a calling station.

Turn comes 7 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif
Bet, call, I raise, reraised, call, I reraise again, call, call.

River Q /forums/images/icons/heart.gif
That card sealed the deal. Bet, fold, and then the last guy and I raise until it's capped.

He didn't show, but my guess is that he had the flush with the queen.

Did I play the pre-flop correctly by limping in late mid position? Did I play the flop correctly?

No thoughts of folding this time /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif

Nottom
05-24-2003, 09:16 PM
I think you played it fine, A9 is a great limping hand with lots of company so preflop is fine.

On the flop, I see no reason to raise here 2 people seem to like their 2nd and 3rd best hands enough to do the betting for you so hang on and try to keep in as many others as possible before getting the big bets in on the turn. If there had been just one better, I would probably raise but with 2 you can just hang out and disquise your hand. Additionaly, you have a nice hand since there can't be caught of guard by a straight flush since you bookend the board with your A9.

On the turn, you did well to come alive. I'm guessing mr. caller here has a set so you need to make sure to pump your hand and make him pay for his 10 outer.

On the river, raising with the nuts is always a good play.

I'm gonna guess that the raiser had QT /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif and the other player had 55, but I guess there's no way to know now.

Bob T.
05-25-2003, 03:36 AM
You got the maximum number of bets in, with the maximum number of opponents, while you held the nuts. I think you did fine.

JTG51
05-25-2003, 09:28 PM
Perfectly played, nice job.

It sure does feel nice to get unlimited action with the nuts, doesn't it? Almost as nice as being up a zillion big bets after two hands.

ECondreras
05-26-2003, 12:19 AM
Funny thing is that it has happened to me two other times in one week. One time, I had AK and the flop came something like A A 8. I knew that the hand was going nowhere if someone didn't have the other Ace, so I lead out to either get the other Ace involved or have everyone fold. So one person raises, I reraise and he calls. So I'm thinking I found the other Ace when the turn brings another Ace! So I figure this guy would give up the ghost, but we capped the betting on the turn and the river! One of the things that stinks about online play is that you can't see someones face when you show them 4 aces. I guess he thought I was bluffing /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

JTG51
05-26-2003, 12:54 AM
Wow, I'm jealous. I guess I have to start playing online more. They must all have notes about you that say, "Likes to 4 bet flop, turn, and river on a bluff." /forums/images/icons/smile.gif