PDA

View Full Version : Drying wet shoes.

wacki
10-09-2005, 05:21 PM
I do a lot of caving/hiking etc and have to dry out my shoes a lot. Dealing with wet shoes/boots can be a royal PITA.

I saw this today:

http://www.wishingfish.com/shoedryers.html

Anyone have a better method? If not I might buy this. I doubt they will fit my size 17's though.

Lazymeatball
10-09-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I doubt they will fit my size 17's though.

[/ QUOTE ]
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

So these things are made for average shoes, and your shoes are above average in size, meaning these things will still fit in your large shoes. As long as they are smaller than the interiour of the shoe, they will fit, no?

wacki
10-09-2005, 05:46 PM
Ya, they probably will work so I might buy them anyway. Just wondering if anyone else has a super duper method for this.

balkii
10-09-2005, 05:50 PM
i just stuff em with newspaper

Lazymeatball
10-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Yes, this is one topic I would put complete trust in the Scandanavians on.

touchfaith
10-09-2005, 05:56 PM
hot rock from campfire.

or do what my buddy john does and place them on the fire ring, get drunk, watch them burn and then borrow my extra pair in the morning.

MrTrik
10-09-2005, 06:12 PM
The few high end hiking suppliers I use (mainly Merrell though) recommend drying without any heat whatsoever. They are worried about shrinkage in the binding materials (not the natural ones).

peachy
10-09-2005, 06:27 PM
i always put mine over a vent and then use the dryer for a short time IF i have to

rusellmj
10-09-2005, 06:31 PM
I say go for it. You're probably doing more harm to your shoes with the abuse you put them through than any low grade heat drying.

illini99
10-09-2005, 06:33 PM
With running shoes I take the soles out and stuff them with newspaper. That works ok, and you don't have to heat them and worry about ruining the shoe.

tonypaladino
10-09-2005, 08:55 PM
Stuff with newspaper and changer the paper every 2 or so hours. Also spray the sides of the soles with WD-40 (but dont get it on the botton unless you wanna kill yourself)

wacki
10-09-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i always put mine over a vent and then use the dryer for a short time IF i have to

[/ QUOTE ]

Vents are on the ceiling in the apt.

wacki
10-09-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Stuff with newspaper and changer the paper every 2 or so hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh... I tried papertowels. This process is a massive PITA. I went through rolls.....

[ QUOTE ]
Also spray the sides of the soles with WD-40 (but dont get it on the botton unless you wanna kill yourself)

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

Ray Zee
10-09-2005, 09:50 PM
let them dry naturally is best. next best is on your feet. then if you cant wait a day get one of those two tube things that you put the boots on and blows air up them. i have one but never use it as my wet boots always dry enough at room temp by the time i need them next. not hot air as that will shrink them. never use hot air.
the newspaper works as well.

MrTrik
10-09-2005, 10:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
let them dry naturally is best. next best is on your feet. then if you cant wait a day get one of those two tube things that you put the boots on and blows air up them. i have one but never use it as my wet boots always dry enough at room temp by the time i need them next. not hot air as that will shrink them. never use hot air.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. If your shoes/boots will not dry naturally between uses then I would recommend buying two pair next time. That way one is drying and one is helping you conquer the world.

I own two pair for each season.

wacki
10-09-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This may work fine in Montana but is a bit problematic at some of the places I go. The place I stay at in Cape Cod is very humid during the summer. Drying naturally at sea level isn't really an option.

tonypaladino
10-09-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Stuff with newspaper and changer the paper every 2 or so hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh... I tried papertowels. This process is a massive PITA. I went through rolls.....

[ QUOTE ]
Also spray the sides of the soles with WD-40 (but dont get it on the botton unless you wanna kill yourself)

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

The WD40 will draw the water out of the crevices.

benfranklin
10-09-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

"WD" stands for Water Displacement. It was originally designed to prevent rust and oxidation.

wacki
10-09-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The WD40 will draw the water out of the crevices.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oil is hydrophobic not hydrophilic.

peachy
10-09-2005, 10:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Vents are on the ceiling in the apt.

[/ QUOTE ]

tie them up there by thier strings??

and if u dont wanna put them IN the dryer just turn ur dryer on and set them ontop upside down...itll do it faster than letting them dry naturally...i always hit them up with my hairdryer for a lil bit before i do this

Ray Zee
10-09-2005, 11:25 PM
the wd 40 displaces the oil. not what you want in your boots. but my help get the water out of the seams.

dont forget about the two tubes thing it works great.

next get gortex boots. i have been using them hiking in the back country and tru all the wet crap and fording small creeks you can name. your feet stay dry inside. period. they dont need drying out unless you go over the top.

wacki
10-10-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the wd 40 displaces the oil. not what you want in your boots. but my help get the water out of the seams.

dont forget about the two tubes thing it works great.

[/ QUOTE ]

two tubes?

Also this WD thing is an odd trick. I must try it sometime.

[ QUOTE ]

next get gortex boots. i have been using them hiking in the back country and tru all the wet crap and fording small creeks you can name. your feet stay dry inside. period. they dont need drying out unless you go over the top.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only the best Zee.

http://www.vasque.com/products/m-sundownergtx.cfm

jdl22
10-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Does this product warm the inside of the shoes much?

If it would heat the inside of the shoes/boots that would be sweet for winter.

It says that it lets out a flow of warm air, I'm just curious how warm.

Ray Zee
10-10-2005, 01:01 AM
if its the thingy i got its two white tubes with a blower that sends air up them. you put your boots on the tubes and the air movement dries them out. i dont know if it blows warm air or not. i would not really want warm but i guess if it wsnt hot it might be fine. i know it works good but i still just let them do their thing naturally.

wacki
10-10-2005, 01:10 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001E3KQ6/104-3184898-1816747?v=glance

Is this it?

Ray Zee
10-10-2005, 09:56 AM
yep. but it doesnt have a heater element in it so it really isnt blowing warm air thru the boots just circulation. which is what you want.

Tailgunner
10-10-2005, 10:27 AM
I've done a lot of long-distance hiking and the most important suggestion would be not to get your boots wet in the first place. Naturally this is quite unavoidable at times, especially in caving, but I've run into many people that had problems with wet shoes when a little extra caution could have avoided the situation.

I don't care if you think it looks prissy, don't stomp through puddles and streams without a care. A good pair of river sandals is a blessing, plus they make nice camp shoes. It may take a little extra time switching them out multiple times through the day, but trust me, it's worth the effort.

That said, in the field I'd dry mine out by setting them on a fire ring with the toes up and the opening facing the fire. Works great, though it can take a few hours if they're really wet and you need to be careful not to get too close to the fire. Even my leather boots lasted over 1000 miles drying them in this fashion.

At home, hell, just throw them in the dryer if you need them quickly, or set them in the sun.

<font color="teal">~TG</font> /images/graemlins/cool.gif

touchfaith
10-10-2005, 10:29 AM
oh for gods sake put a [censored] hot rock in your boot and be done with it.

Next time, don't piss on your boots.