PDA

View Full Version : I figured it out!!!

02-20-2002, 10:43 AM
I had asked earlier if you would play 54s in a late position with 3 or fewer limpers. HPFAP isn't quite clear as it does recommend playing 54s but doesn't stipulate if you should not do so with only a few limpers in the pot. Without more players in the pot it doesn't seem like you are getting the correct pot odds.

Well you may want to play them anyway, and here is the reason why.

You will only play these cards if it is checked to you, and since you are in a late position you can bet without too much risk of being raised. Plus on the turn it may very well get checked back to you, and if you are last to play you just check. Now you get to look at the river card. So, you get to see BOTH the turn and the river card for just one small bet on the flop. That is why you can play 54s and 22 in a late position.

02-20-2002, 11:50 AM
But even if it worked like this (and most times you would find it did not), what are you looking for? Do you want a 5 or a 4 to hit on the river so you can call a big bet with overcards?

With 54 you will generally need to hit a straight, two pair or trips to win. Consequently, most of the pots you enter you will not win. When you do win, you want there to be a few people along with you so that if you do win, it makes up for the last 8 times where you got nowhere. By playing as you suggest you may occasionally pick up a small pot, but I don't think it will cover the pre-flop limps without the propoer number of opponents.

Regards,

Paul Talbot

02-20-2002, 12:53 PM
Its a good theory and may work occassionally but rarely do you find games so passive you can pull off the "free river flop bet", more often than not someone will checkraise you on the flop or just bet into you on the turn regardless.

02-21-2002, 10:52 AM
Take the free card on the flop. You probably need it more than your opponents. If there is a bet and you have a flush or open-ended draw, you can raise on the flop to try to get a free card on the turn, otherwise fold. The more players the better.