PDA

View Full Version : Hair Loss

STLantny
10-09-2005, 03:31 PM
Im losing hair at a pretty good clip nowadays, I dont know why. I have basically no one in my family that is remotely bald. It started about jan/dec of last year. How much does lifestyle affect hair loss? Im much more out of shape, stressed out (due to a bunch of things), diet hasnt been the greatest, nor has workouts, then ever. Im slowly getting back into a good routine all around, will my hair grow back, or whats the deal?

Sephus
10-09-2005, 03:42 PM
if you're losing a lot it's pretty likely that you have genetic male pattern baldness (even if nobody in your family is bald you can still have the gene for it) and it's not coming back on its own. in all likelihood you will lose more unless you decide to go the drug route.

STLantny
10-09-2005, 03:45 PM
What drugs, and will it regrow hair that i have lost? Like I am losing a lot, really fast, I can run my hand through my hair and 6-7 hairs come out at a time.

Sephus
10-09-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What drugs, and will it regrow hair that i have lost? Like I am losing a lot, really fast, I can run my hand through my hair and 6-7 hairs come out at a time.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow that seems really fast. it could be stress/other factors. i know some drugs claim to help you regrow hair lost from MPB. i would see a doctor.

...maybe you should get some advice from actual bald guys...

STLantny
10-09-2005, 04:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow that seems really fast. it could be stress/other factors. i know some drugs claim to help you regrow hair lost from MPB. i would see a doctor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I for some reason think it is not mpb, and probably stress/diet/non-workouts. Ill give it 6 months of working out and eating right, and see what happens from there. I just think that Im losing hair WAY too fast to be something genetic.

Sephus
10-09-2005, 04:07 PM
i'd still see a doctor, but then again i'm terrified of balding.

thatpfunk
10-09-2005, 04:39 PM
see a doctor, theyll let you know. get propecia.

10-09-2005, 05:09 PM
When I started to lose my hair it seemed like the end of the world for me. I tried to fight it and deny it for years. I tried the drugs, shampoo and watched my diet etc. but nothing helped, that patch kept getting bigger and bigger.

Then one day my uncle died. I found out on a Friday night and the funeral was set for the following Monday. I was looking pretty shaggy and new I needed a haircut but I wouldn't be able to get an appointment until the following week. It was then I made one of the biggest decisions of my life. First I drove to my local Wal-Mart and bought a set of electric hair clippers. Second I went to the liquior store and got a six pack of liquid courage. Later that night I locked myself in the bathroom and began the process. Once I made the first swipe I knew I was committed. That was over four years ago and I haven't looked back.

I mow realize that the real problem was not my hair loss but my own vanity and insecurity. Hair loss is part of the aging process like it or not. What I was concerned with was not really my loss of my hair but the loss of my youth.

If you think your hair loss is preventable then by all means try if thats what you want to do. If treatment dosen't work however, learn to accept it. You can't fight Mother Nature.

Hope this advice helps.

Uncle G.

Bigdaddydvo
10-09-2005, 07:26 PM
Andre Agassi, Kurt Angle, and Michael Jordan are among many who pull off the bald look flawlessly.

Control your destiny and shave it off while you're relatively young...and eventually people will assume that you've always gone w/the buzzed look.

JackWilson
10-09-2005, 07:27 PM
I feel really depressed now. Thanks. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Blarg
10-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Diet and stress can play a big part, but once it's gone, it's usually gone.

If you are coping with your stress by using drugs or alcohol, that could be a huge part of it. Lots of guys I know who do a lot of booze or drugs have found their hair coming out really quickly and suddenly. I think their filtering organs just can't keep up with the poisons and your overall level of health just goes down internally, even if they can't see it on the outside too much.

STLantny
10-09-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Diet and stress can play a big part, but once it's gone, it's usually gone.

If you are coping with your stress by using drugs or alcohol, that could be a huge part of it. Lots of guys I know who do a lot of booze or drugs have found their hair coming out really quickly and suddenly. I think their filtering organs just can't keep up with the poisons and your overall level of health just goes down internally, even if they can't see it on the outside too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, this is basically what I think is happening, the amount of crap Ive drank/done in the last 6 months could kill a mule. Ive read a bunch since my last post, and from what I can tell changing your diet, and living healthier can help to regrow hair. Ive always went with the buzz look, so thats why I dont care too much that Im losing it, Ill just try to live healthier from now on, and see what happens.

theben
10-09-2005, 08:18 PM
if you care about your head, seek treatment. i have many balding friends and they all use propecia

thatpfunk
10-09-2005, 08:51 PM
listen to an actual doctor. nothing but genetics causes male pattern baldness.

Hamish McBagpipe
10-09-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that if your mother's father was bald you are more likely to be bald. My mother's father was not bald but my mother's mother became practically bald. Am I in trouble?

thatpfunk
10-09-2005, 09:08 PM
no clue

Sephus
10-09-2005, 09:23 PM
i think you may be OK, it's mainly the men on your mother's side you have to worry about.

10-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Excluding genes, your metabolism can contribute. A simple blood test for hypothyroidsm would give a clue.

Blarg
10-09-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But his question partly included uncertainty as to whether it was male pattern baldness or not. People do lose hair for other reasons. Many conditions cause hair loss.

Blarg
10-09-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard that if your mother's father was bald you are more likely to be bald. My mother's father was not bald but my mother's mother became practically bald. Am I in trouble?

[/ QUOTE ]

All you Scots wind up looking like Groundskeeper Willie eventually. Stop fighting it when you could be spending time feuding, drinking, playing bagpipes, and kicking each other's shins.

10-10-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I for some reason think it is not mpb, and probably stress/diet/non-workouts. Ill give it 6 months of working out and eating right, and see what happens from there. I just think that Im losing hair WAY too fast to be something genetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much every person who's balding thinks it's happening abnormally quickly. You've got more hair than you think you do, so 6-7 hairs isn't that much and is pretty normal for someone who's balding.

Many of the topical drugs, including rogaine, work no matter why you're losing hair.