PDA

View Full Version : Four-handed 3/6 - Overcall with second pair on three-flush board?

Homer
05-24-2003, 04:32 PM
I'm dealt [/b]J9o[/b] in the SB. Button limps, I complete, BB raises, button and I call.

Flop - 3d Ts 5s

Checked around.

Turn - 8h

BB bets, button and I call.

River - 9s

BB bets, button calls and I overcall.

Comments - On the turn I was fairly certain that BB had only overcards (he loved to raise preflop with big cards, then check the flop when he missed), and button had an 8. Both players would have bet with top-pair or a flush draw on the flop. I knew I had 8 clean outs for a straight with 7's and Q's and that there was a decent chance that a 9 or J would be good as well (provided that it didn't happen to make one of the other players two-pair). On the river, I thought about mucking after BB bet and button called, but then smacked myself and called, as my read on them didn't change between the turn and river.

Results - BB had Kd8d and button had Ah8s.

Comments?

-- Homer

Robk
05-24-2003, 04:56 PM
Why would you complete in a 1-3 structure when the BB is the type to raise with a lot of hands?

Net Warrior
05-24-2003, 09:38 PM
Yes, I'd like an explaination too. You're only getting 3.5 to 1 to complete and you really need about 7 to 1 to play J9o, especially when you are totally out of position. I think this is long term -EV.

Bob T.
05-25-2003, 03:47 AM
I think completing this is OK, maybe even better than that. This was played fourhanded, and the button only limped, and you have two opponents, one blind, and one open limper in a shorthanded game, you could very well have the best hand here.

SittingBull
05-25-2003, 04:54 AM

Net Warrior
05-25-2003, 07:38 AM

Homer
05-25-2003, 12:07 PM
Since it was a four-handed game I figure the button could have a lot of hands, many of which are weaker than mine. He isn't tricky enough to open-limp with a decent hand. An open-limp means he has a hand he wants to see the flop cheaply with. Also, these players would pay off like slot machines whenever I made a hand.

I don't know much about shorthanded, so I am playing pretty much by feel right now. So, that being said, my completion of the SB could easily be wrong.

-- Homer