PDA

View Full Version : Tipping point in MTTs?

Sam T.
10-09-2005, 12:18 PM
Over in the SnG forum, there is (if I remember correctly) a consensus that the skill of players at the $10-30 games is generally the same. You might have one less donkey at the upper level, but it's not as if the entire table turns pro on you. Once you hit the $50 game, however, there is a noticiable jump in the quality of play.

I wonder if there is a similar tipping point in the MTTs? I'm usually a low buy-in player, but have accrued a lot of tournament dollars through Stars $3 sats, and want to treat myself to a bigger tournament, without dumping $200 into the $750k.

So my question is how y'all would rate the play at the $20-$100 buy in tournaments. Is there a big jump at any point? Or is it just a slow-increase in skill level?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

TheBlueMonster
10-09-2005, 12:30 PM
don't know about Stars but on Party there is a noticable increase in skill as you get to the higher levels. You don't notice it much between $5 and $30. Higher you get less supreme donks.

nath
10-09-2005, 05:29 PM
I find the tipping point in the MTTs I play to be a matter of time rather than buyin. There are still plenty of donks in the $100 and $200 buyins I've played; as the buyin increases, they are fewer in number and tend to fall away sooner.

McMelchior
10-10-2005, 03:06 PM
It's my experience from Stars that the $50 buy-ins have substantially fewer truly bad players than the $20.

Actually I believe they have much fewer than the $750ks, which are fed by the sats.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)

woodguy
10-10-2005, 03:32 PM
Hey Sam,

I think it gets better at $50 and $100 direct buy-ins, but even at $100+ direct buy ins sometimes they play is "special" especially in the Party $100.

Lots of donks in the big tourneys that have a lot of sats (i.e. Stars Sunday)

With your sat exeprience I thought you would have played lots of the big ones by satting in by now. They can be lots of fun and a good way to take a shot.

Regards,
Woodguy