PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision Song Contest (O/T)

Mike Haven
05-24-2003, 03:39 PM
This is the singing competition that the whole of the UK listens to every year when all the European countries present a song and Judges in every country vote for them at the end of the show.

Not to be missed - some of the worst songs written all year will be on live for the next two hours or so. See if you can spot the one that always gets nil points out of a possible 200.

Go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/ and click on BBC Radio 2's ON AIR - "Listen" button.

Martin Aigner
05-24-2003, 03:50 PM
Hey Mike,

"some of the worst songs ever written" you sure are right on that one.

Here in austria we had a qualification contest (hey, on this forum we could call it a satellite /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ). I think it were about 10 songs. One guy, who took part in the qualification, is a well known (in austria this is) comedian. He took this opurtunity as a piss take to the whol Eurovision..... and he won!!! He wrote and sang deliberately a extremly bad song and still won. And the best of it: He sure as hell wasnīt the worst attendant at the quali /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

So maybe you donīt even hear the worst songs at the Eurovision. You can hear them at the qualification for the Eurovision in austria /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Best regards

Martin Aigner

Simon Diamond
05-24-2003, 04:38 PM
Mike,

Please don't tell me you watch that crap. The UK has no chance because of the voting system - it is obvious the eastern Europeans are going to vote for each other, because their cultures are quite similar compared to our culture.

I must confess to over hearing the Austrian entry, and calling it a piss take is being quite nice. I should imagine it is a disgrace to be represented by such a fool.

But what do I know, he will probably win...

Simon

Martin Aigner
05-24-2003, 04:51 PM
Simon,

I dunno whether it is a disgrace to be represented by him. You might be right, but in this case it woujld be a disgrace to be from England, since Rowan Atkinson is english too. Just imagine Mr. Bean at the Eurovision, then you understand what the austrian guy did /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

But for you Brits I hope you win. Canīt remember the song though /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Regards

Martin Aigner

Simon Diamond
05-24-2003, 05:00 PM
I hope we don't win - the winning nation has to host the next one and it is a complete waste of money. I'm not 100% certain, but it is probably paid for with taxpayers money.

I would say we have the strongest music industry in Europe, and this mickey mouse competition is no reflection on it. But I'm sure the competition for our song must have been intense with a roster including Rik Waller and the other Flop Idols, not to mention Girls Aloud and Hear Say. Puke.

Simon

Martin Aigner
05-24-2003, 05:08 PM
Your first reasoning is exactly why we make sure that we have the worst song every year /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

You sure are right about the strongest music industry in europe. I really wonder why Robbie Williams doesnīt have any success in USA.

Martin Aigner

Mike Haven
05-24-2003, 05:14 PM
i heard the Austrian one tonight and i must admit i RAN the three flights upstairs to make sure ny wife didn't miss it - i didn't know it was a piss-take until now, but that explains everything - it will probably become a cult classic, sung, if that is the word, in all the clubs all over the world

i only heard a few but i just came back in on the Swedish entry - if i was a gambling man i would bet it will finish in the money

the excitement of the voting is about to start, simon - don't miss it - the presenters are worse than the songs!

Martin Aigner
05-24-2003, 05:29 PM
Well, it is a cult song in austria already, but I doubt itīll be any successful in other countries than austria or germany. Anyway, right now: Austria: 21 points, UK 0 points /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Regards

Martin Aigner

lorinda
05-24-2003, 05:32 PM
I haven't heard the song alas, but it's starting to look like your policy of having a retarded song so you don't win is going to backfire.

Bring back Bucks Fizz

Lori

lorinda
05-24-2003, 05:37 PM
And there goes the stone cold certainty again..

Cyprus gives 12 points to......

....Greece.

Never!!

Lori

Martin Aigner
05-24-2003, 05:38 PM
Bucks Fizz? I donīt know you personally, but I would have thought Johnny Logan was your favourite /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Martin Aigner

Mike Haven
05-24-2003, 05:40 PM
terry wogan (our host) just made the quote of the programme:

"that eejit from Austria is in sixth place!"

only the uk and the host nation latvia have nil points nearing the end of the voting - go uk!

Simon Diamond
05-24-2003, 05:42 PM
Well, it is a cult song in austria already, but I doubt itīll be any successful in other countries than austria or germany.

Well if the Cheeky Girls from Flop Idol could manage to sell records, then this geezer might be quids (or will that be euros) in.

Simon

Martin Aigner
05-24-2003, 05:43 PM
WTF is an eejit??? Canīt find it in any dictionary.

Although I think I understand what she meant /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Martin Aigner

Simon Diamond
05-24-2003, 05:45 PM
Mike,

That must be a misquote - the eejit is in the commentary box. And there are a couple on the stage for sure... God!!! You have got me to turn over you evil man.

Simon

UK - nil points, there is a god!!!

Mike Haven
05-24-2003, 05:45 PM
try saying "idiot" in an Irish accent /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Martin Aigner
05-24-2003, 05:50 PM
Austrian commantary: England has a new presentator of the votes. You will sure remember the old one, (forgot his name), he looked as old as the bridge he was sitting in front. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Did I hear that right? UK gives Austria 8 points? LOL

Martin Aigner

Mike Haven
05-24-2003, 05:53 PM

/forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Mike Haven
05-24-2003, 05:55 PM
Greece gives 12 points to......

.... Cyprus.

Simon Diamond
05-24-2003, 06:23 PM

This comes as absolutely no surprise to me. For all the high quality musicians our country produces, the paying public seem to love misfits who cannot sing to save their lives.

Give me Travis, Oasis, Doves, Coldplay etc anyday. At least they can produce their own music and don't have to resort to glorified karaoke/miming.

Simon

Martin Aigner
05-24-2003, 06:42 PM
Simon,

I think you take the whole event too seriously. The whole contest is BS, and so was every single song. The austian just as much as every other, and even more so.

I donīt understand why they donīt cancel it. That fact that a guy like Alf Poier can finish in 6th place tells everything. Itīs a farce, and so was "our" song.

BTW, I just heard they want to make the contest a 2-day event next year. Now if you thought, the event this year was hell, wait for another year /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Martin Aigner

lorinda
05-24-2003, 06:45 PM
I think it would be great, if it wasn't for the songs.

They should take away the songs and let the juries vote on how much they like the other countries.

Lori

Martin Aigner
05-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Whatīs the difference? Cyprus gives Greece 12 points /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

Martin Aigner

lorinda
05-24-2003, 06:50 PM
My point exactly, it would be the same result, but a lot less boring /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Lori

Simon Diamond
05-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Martin,

I take the UK music industry seriously (the proper music, not the pop music), but I am with you on the Eurovision. It is BS and I think that is why some love it.

A 2-day event, god almighty that is a bad beat.

Simon

Simon Diamond
05-24-2003, 06:56 PM
You get my vote - get rid of the songs, and the contest suddenly becomes watchable... Umm, maybe not.

UK nil points, but we are saved from relegation due to the amount of money we pump into the contest - more taxpayers money squandered?

Simon

Martin Aigner
05-24-2003, 06:59 PM
Simon,

one last word. I see you got a new picture. What does it mean "kotz"?

The reason I ask is that "kotz" in german means "to puke" in english. You came up with this pic during the Eurovision, right? Any coherences? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Martin Aigner

Simon Diamond
05-24-2003, 07:07 PM
LOL. How appropriate!

KotZ stands for King of the Zoo. The picture is some artwork I made up the other day to go on the KotZ website soon. Hope that clears it up for you /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Simon

lorinda
05-24-2003, 07:22 PM
Great, first we are the Jerry Springer of the 2+2 forums, then the Zoo, now we are just Puke.

Whatever next.

LOL

Lori
(Qotz)

Simon Diamond
05-24-2003, 07:43 PM
now we are just Puke.

I will make sure this is added to the history section on the KotZ website.

Simon

PUKEE!!!
05-25-2003, 05:22 AM
>>>now we are just Puke.
>>>I will make sure this is added to the history section on the KotZ website.

is there a problem here??

dux
05-25-2003, 11:15 AM
How come everywhere I go (everywhere being 2+2 and a 2c/4c Holdem Table) I hear of this song contest.

<font color="blue">slowman: how did tatu do in the eurovision song contest fan?
Dealer: Game #64845643: symbiose wins pot ($0.26)
tatufan: i guess i'm not much of a fan if i don't know... sorry
slowman: not 2 dedicated then.....
London Pat [observer]: 3rd... turkey 1st, UK last
slowman: i dont mind
slowman: congrats
tatufan: i don't think it would be socially acceptable for me to be too dedicated
</font color>

It's disturbing that A) there was somebody watching a 2c/4c hold'em table and B) he came to life only when eurovision was mentioned...it is too late and I am tired.

Hung
05-25-2003, 06:58 PM
I forgot to say something. Belgium almost won.