PDA

View Full Version : recording an album

whiskeytown
10-09-2005, 09:47 AM
today my band begins a task that destroys most bands - we're starting the album -

I've gotten 2 hrs sleep, and I'm about to get up and go over and start the recording process for 6 songs...

here we go....anyone have any good studio stories they like to share? - My fav. is doing one and the engineer/owner of the place had liquor DELIVERED to the studio -

This will be self produced/recorded, but of course, of the stuff that isn't, the Mixerman diaries became folklore. LOL.

RB

gulebjorn
10-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Just finished recording/mastering, but no good stories were involved. Only hard work.

cwsiggy
10-09-2005, 10:57 AM
My avatar says "Why didn't you guys fly to London and rent out my houseboat studio Astoria?"

10-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Its been many years since I set foot in a studio. It's kinda hard to remember back then (too much smoke up the chimmney /images/graemlins/wink.gif). I do recall that once I was having problem with a short in my guitar or cable. It started picking up a radio station. After I recorded my track, we were playing it back and you could hear The Doobie Bros. "Listen to the Music" playing in the background.

wall_st
10-09-2005, 03:50 PM
I hope you have a good singer.

We had 4-6 hours to do everything. The band got everything laid down within the first hour to hour and a half. Then the singer came in and took the remaining time to do the vocals.

Im doing another album sometime this winter with a singer who has never recorded before and has no real experience with actually "singing"

BTW for home stuff I highly recommend getting a USB interface for your computer and a nice microphone or two. MOst of the interfaces come with good recording software (CuBase, Protools) and create a very high quality sound for the price (about 300-400 for a good one). Recordindg drums can be a real pain though.

gulebjorn
10-09-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We had 4-6 hours to do everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

What kind of band and how many songs are you talking about?

lem45216
10-09-2005, 04:26 PM
We recorded ours at a studio called Rockfield (Bohemian Rhapsody was recorded there), The bloke who owned the studio was often sitting in with us to watch us record. On several occasions he had this old looking balding guy with him,a friend of his. We didn't really take much notice of him. It was only after that we found out that the friend was Dave Grilmour aka Pink Floyd guitarist and we were completely oblivious to it all those times.

JackWilson
10-09-2005, 07:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We recorded ours at a studio called Rockfield (Bohemian Rhapsody was recorded there), The bloke who owned the studio was often sitting in with us to watch us record. On several occasions he had this old looking balding guy with him,a friend of his. We didn't really take much notice of him. It was only after that we found out that the friend was Dave Grilmour aka Pink Floyd guitarist and we were completely oblivious to it all those times.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're kidding...

vulturesrow
10-09-2005, 07:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
today my band begins a task that destroys most bands - we're starting the album -

I've gotten 2 hrs sleep, and I'm about to get up and go over and start the recording process for 6 songs...

here we go....anyone have any good studio stories they like to share? - My fav. is doing one and the engineer/owner of the place had liquor DELIVERED to the studio -

This will be self produced/recorded, but of course, of the stuff that isn't, the Mixerman diaries became folklore. LOL.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

RB,

Good luck. How much are going to charge. I want a pre-release copy. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

mmcd
10-09-2005, 07:39 PM
Dirk: Look, man, all we need is the tapes, all right?

Record Producer: No, you don't get the tapes until you've paid.

Dirk: In our situation, that doesn't make any [censored] sense.

Reed Rothchild: Look, we can not pay for the tapes, unless we take the tapes to the record company, and get paid.

Dirk: Hello? Exactly.

Record Producer: That's not an MP, that's a YP, your problem. Come up with the money, or forget it.

Reed Rothchild: Okay, now you're talking above my head. I don't know all of this industry jargon, YP, MP. All I know is that I can't get a record contract, we cannot get a record contract unless we take those tapes to the record company. And granted, the tapes themselves are a uh um oh, you own them, all right, but the magic that is on those tapes. That [censored] heart and soul that we put onto those tapes, that is ours and you don't own that. Now I need to take that magic and get it over the record company. And they're waiting for us, we were supposed to be there a half hour ago. We look like assholes, man.

wall_st
10-09-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We had 4-6 hours to do everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

What kind of band and how many songs are you talking about?

[/ QUOTE ]

5 peice rock band, only 1 song.

whiskeytown
10-10-2005, 02:49 AM
you see, this is why I built my own studio - so I could record in peace without having to pay for time - LOL

but then there are issues...

my issue right now is that despite my best attempts at placement, my snare mic is picking up so much hi-hat, esp. in quiet spots, that it almost overrides half of what we recorded today -

I have got to change snare mic placement - I may be able to salvage what we did today - I wanted to layer a bass and snare sample over the live hits anyways - if I can do that and sync it up, the sampled snare sound will probably be what I need.

RB

Jeebus
10-10-2005, 01:45 PM
if your small tom isn't in the way, try hanging the mike off the bass drum or on that side almost like a cowbell. it's hard to get the placement but it works. or you can try bottom miking but that rarely works.

As for a good story, at 16 we were in a studio recording our first release and had some left over everclear (good ole 190 proof likker) which we were drinking with flat old diet coke we found in the regrigerator. Thankfully the producer saved all a bunch of our conversations after takes and before. We should have just released that instead of the cd.
by the way anyone who likes metal check out our latest here (http://www.ghostriderblack.com)

samjjones
10-10-2005, 01:52 PM
http://guesswhatgotfeveronlyprescriptionmorecowbell.evill oop.com/guess.what.got.fever.only.prescription.more.cowbel l.walken.jpg

Just make sure you have enough cowbell...

gulebjorn
10-10-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you see, this is why I built my own studio - so I could record in peace without having to pay for time - LOL

but then there are issues...

my issue right now is that despite my best attempts at placement, my snare mic is picking up so much hi-hat, esp. in quiet spots, that it almost overrides half of what we recorded today -

I have got to change snare mic placement - I may be able to salvage what we did today - I wanted to layer a bass and snare sample over the live hits anyways - if I can do that and sync it up, the sampled snare sound will probably be what I need.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure you have the right mic? Anyway, bottom mic is the way to go for sure. I recorded with two top mics and one bottom, and it sounds awesome.

Edit: make sure that the live hits are louder than the samples, or it will sound fake. To do this right, you should adjust the volume of each sample stroke to match the dynamic level of the live stroke...