PDA

View Full Version : The Price of Beer

adios
05-24-2003, 09:33 AM
I'm constantly amazed at how cheap beer is. Seems like prices haven't changed much for the last 25 years. Perhaps a revival of the cheap beer post from the past, perhaps not.

nicky g
05-24-2003, 10:00 AM
Bloody expensive here. Absurdly cheap in continental Europe (except for the Scandinavian counries).

Ed I
05-24-2003, 11:55 AM
If I didn't drink while playing poker online, my beer would be considered cheap. Miller High Life, $12.99 for a 30 pack.

HDPM
05-24-2003, 12:22 PM
We agree on the best dirt cheap beer then. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Not my favoritest, but excellent cheap stuff.

MMMMMM
05-24-2003, 01:30 PM
I drink beer infrequently enough that the price doesn't matter to me at all, so I just buy what I like. That used to be Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale, Beck's Dark, Guiness and various Sam Adams'. Now however Beck's is on the back burner due to their opposing us in the Iraq war and due to the fact that over the last 7 years or so their quality may have deteriorated slightly.

As for cheap beers, there is only one really good one IMO, and that's Rolling Rock. Clear and fresh and always welcome.

scalf
05-24-2003, 01:42 PM
/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif no.no,no..beer has gone up..used to get el cheepo (i.e. milwaukee's best, golden goebel for 99cents/6 pack...back in college...

in fact in wooster ohio...with returnable bottles..old dutch was only about 3.50/case..iced cold at the beer dock...

nope beer is more...for the real people..lol..gl /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

John Cole
05-25-2003, 05:00 AM
M,

Beck's opposed us in the war? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

I'm with you--no cheep beer, especially now that I can only drink a few per year. In high school, a six pack of Bud cost $1.35. Narragansett, the beer of choice for Rhode Island natives, was slightly cheeper.

John

Warren Whitmore
05-25-2003, 10:13 AM
I do not know the answer to your question, but I will think about it.

MMMMMM
05-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Well, after being up all night it might not have surprised me had Beck's opposed us in Iraq.

A European told me that Beck's is not imbibed in Germany; the Germans consider it fit only for export. A fellow from the Pacific Rim told me that the Japanese don't drive Subarus; to do so would cause loss of face. Ah the loutish tastes of those uncultured Americans...)

Zeno
05-25-2003, 05:06 PM
Similar slur in Mexico - Corona is the low-class beer. Even the poor drink Tecate before Corona, mostly.

-Zeno

Ray Zee
05-25-2003, 05:39 PM
beer certainly is cheap. in other countries i pay like 4 or 5 bucks for one out. although in new york or frisco its like that too.

since i know more about what good beer tastes like than any of you. here is what you should drink. negro modello for a darker one. or labatts blue or kokanee beer both from canada. any other opinions are worthless.

these also dont stick alot of formaldehyde in them like others.

scalf
05-25-2003, 06:55 PM
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif formaldehyde can preserve your pecker...and help prevent mad cow disease/and/or wasting disease of elk/deer....also used in mortuaries..no one has complained there...gl /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

scalf
05-25-2003, 06:59 PM
/forums/images/icons/wink.gif tom...real simple..

even al bundy got upset about beer tax increase...

about 2 beers in every 6 pack is the tax...amazing...

but grain is cheeap...mass production...light tasteless beers...hey..this is america...jmho..gl /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/spade.gif

HDPM
05-25-2003, 09:07 PM
Well, if we're talking opiate of the masses I'll gladly take a churchkey over a key to the church. Ya know?

Bill Murphy
05-25-2003, 11:30 PM
Gotta have MHL in bottles only. Back in high school(79-83) MHL was the only beer for white boys in SLC. In the summer of '83, they started putting it brown bottles, instead ay the clears. Fugged it aw oop but. Tasted like pish n aw.

They went back tae clears a year or so later, kinda like the New Coke deal, but it was nivir the same. Sorta like a heavy metal band gone soft; hard to get that ol' magic back.

In 1987-8 we had they twelvers ay Old Style 'stubbies' for $3.79 at an old Safeway by oor hoose. It was funny hearing the boys straining outside on trash pickup day; they'd be going along in a rhthym, then they hit yin bag that wis nothing but 30lbs ay gless... /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Sigh... Them's was the days; too right... Not many lassies around, of course. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Ray Zee
05-25-2003, 11:50 PM
scalf, so what do you do-- rub it on it or drink it.

HDPM
05-26-2003, 01:12 AM
Yep, clear bottle Miller. The new long neck clears are OK. Miller never had a monopoly on white boys in my city tho. Tastes were indiscriminate. And stroh's 15 or 30 packs or whatever they were had some appeal. But I do remember those clear ones from those high school years. Did seem like the places we could score beer sold the cans tho. Bottles were also more dangerous at the movies because they'd make a lot of noise if you kicked an empty over and it rolled under the seats a ways./forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

HDPM
05-26-2003, 01:14 AM
In the mortuary you have issues if you find yourself rubbing it on. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

John Cole
05-26-2003, 05:49 AM
At least says Jean Shepard in his old PBS series Jean Shepard's America (I think it was called) when he tells the story of the day his mother ran out of beer.

Rick Nebiolo
05-26-2003, 06:16 AM
John,

Remember back at the dorm we bought that stuff "Boh" that came in a plain white can with a simple red label at it was super cheap (something like $2.39 a case!) because it was "Narragansett from the bottom of the vat"?

Jeez, now even hot weiners are almost a buck.

~ Rick

scalf
05-26-2003, 07:23 AM
/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif lol, hd...when i started beer..ya really did need a church key..lol...then coors had those double punch down tops..and the tops that ya put pack in the beer...and swallowed it like a fishhook..lol...gr8 ideas...oh those memories,,,lol...memorial day...dam good day for beers...might get started myself...lol..gl /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/club.gif