PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Robbins

Skip Brutale
10-08-2005, 11:05 PM
I recently got hired in an small independent bookstore, so Im there by myself looking around at things and I see "how to awaken your inner giant". I figured I'd give it a browse and laugh at the fact that the sheep fall for this self-help bullshit.

So I started reading somewhere in the middle and it was some section on how Elvis' life at the end was miserable, he was miserable and wanted to die, and then Tony is talking about stuff that makes sense and seems good.

Then I go to the front and the book seems alright. Like maybe he is onto something.

I havent really read much. But Im wondering if anyone knows of negative things regarding him or his book.

miajag81
10-08-2005, 11:19 PM
http://www.familyguytv.com/pictures/ep050/029.jpg

tonypaladino
10-08-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow as soon as I saw the title of this post, I was gonna go get that screenshot and post it.

theben
10-08-2005, 11:37 PM
tony robbins . . . . . huuunnngrrrryy

theben
10-08-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow as soon as I saw the title of this post, I was gonna go get that screenshot and post it.

[/ QUOTE ]

i knew it to. i was about to go and find it. saves me the trouble

Skip Brutale
10-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Damn 4 replies and they are all worthless. Keep up the percentages children.

Shaman
10-08-2005, 11:47 PM
He is on to something. But he didn't come up with any of it. It is called NLP and it was invented by John Grinder after modelling the language patterns of Noam Chomsky, Milton Erickson, Virginia Satir, Fritz Perls, Gregory Bateson, and dozens of others. The Awaken the Giant book is a commercialized and very oversimplified version of NLP.

Shaman
10-08-2005, 11:49 PM
Oh you wanted negative. Well, all of his seminars cost 5 times more than the typical nlp seminar of the same duration but you only get half the benefits.

MelK
10-08-2005, 11:51 PM
2+2 is sort of a self help forum.

[b]Come. Learn how to make money at home, in your pajamas, on your computer. Just buy a few of our books.....

Skip Brutale
10-08-2005, 11:53 PM
I really havent read much but NLP is neuro-linguistic programming right? That is roughly speaking to people in a way that can control their feelings right?

Shaman
10-09-2005, 12:00 AM
NLP (http://nlpuniversitypress.com/html2/N15.html)

theben
10-09-2005, 12:06 AM
what do you expect? you are seeking like advice from a retarded ape like ceature

Blarg
10-09-2005, 12:15 AM
His first book is actually quite good. His ideas on modeling and neurolinguistic programming are quite good. Apparently a lot of that comes from Scientology, but he is no longer a Scientologist. The ideas are good enough that I don't think Scientology coming up with them first discredits them at all, and I'm quite the non-Scientology fan, in a big way.

His second book gets a bit unintentionally hilarious and was a big drop down, I thought. His attempting to patent a word he made up in it and try to sneak it into paragraph after paragraph made the book cumbersome and start to slide into sleazy hucksterism in a way the first book didn't do at all. The second book had moments where I was really gritting my teeth over the cheesiness. To the extent that I can think, I can do it, and more clearly, too, without saying Yabba Dabba Doo or whatever his patented Japanse-sounding word was.

10-09-2005, 12:24 AM
His stuff is valuable and yes, compressed NLP. But, NLP is so all over the place that finding value in the original work is difficult. And, no, it's not speaking to people in a way that controls them. That's a part of it, you can learn those techniques, but it is much more about controlling your own brain. NLP is widely touted as a "users manual" to the brain. Many of the techniques have been very effective for me in the past. It's worth looking into seriously.

Blarg
10-09-2005, 01:56 AM
I always thought it was something I wouldn't mind knowing more about, too. I do believe that you can program yourself negatively without realizing it, and that you have to be careful about the thoughts and thought patterns you indulge in.

Mangatang
10-09-2005, 02:03 AM
Back in high school, a friend of mine used to take a set of false teeth his granddad had, and put them in his mouth over his real teeth. They made his mouth so big that he couldn't close his lips all the way. We laughed so hard, we started crying. We called him Tony Robins from that point on.

Oh, we were very high too.

kurosh
10-09-2005, 02:10 AM
This sounds very interesting. Does anyone have some good links?

Shaman
10-09-2005, 09:26 AM
link (http://neurosemantics.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=49&Itemi d=48)

ChipWrecked
10-09-2005, 10:23 AM
I read the two books. I didn't practice the modeling stuff.

The parts about clear communication both internally and to others, clarifying goals and values, and taking constant action toward acheiving what you want I found very helpful. I particularly use the idea that you don't need to see instant results. You just keep monitoring what you are doing right now, and where you are; over time you will find yourself moving the direction you want to go.

I know he didn't pioneer any of these concepts. I just happened to pick them up in his books.