PDA

View Full Version : TT $20 PP single-table

AJo Go All In
05-24-2003, 06:35 AM
early on, i have about 1200, UTG i get TT, raise to 120 (blinds are at 20-40)

one MP caller and an LP player makes it 250 to go. i call and MP calls. pot is 810.

flop K82 rainbow, i go all-in for about 950.

comments?

fnurt
05-24-2003, 11:21 AM
If you're going to bet all-in on a flop with an overcard, you probably should just re-raise all-in before the flop. With a hand like TT, you probably want to knock out MP anyway, since he's likely to be sitting there with an overcard or two.

If you think re-raising all-in before the flop with TT early in a tournament sounds too loose, you're probably right...

The problem here is that it's hard to see your opponent laying down any hand on the flop that has you beat, other than QQ and JJ (assuming these are re-raising hands in the first place). AK is a common holding and if he has that you're just giving away your stack.

If your opponent is a loose player who will re-raise with AQ or worse then great, except you're ahead anyway, so why risk your whole stack just to find out if this scenario is the correct one?

All of this so far has completely ignored the third player in the pot. If it's overly risky to try this move against a single opponent, I certainly wouldn't try it against two of them.

It's early in the tournament. There has to be a better situation down the road to put your whole stack at risk. If you really want to do it here because you've never seen two cards as good as TT, then just do it pre-flop.

ben mo
05-24-2003, 01:32 PM
I don't really play those paradise one tables at all, but for you I'll give it a stab:

1) I don't know if you should raise UTG with TT -- it's not a hand that can bear a reraise, so the best you can hope for is to steal the blinds (which you might as well do with 73o). In some game conditions, you should just fold, but I'm presuming the lineups are weak enough in the $20 tourneys that a limp is in order -- you can call a single raise and still have lots of play.

2) Normally, I'd say you should fold to a reraise, but this guy only raised 130 more, which is about 15% of your stack. Even calling this is thin, since you basically need a set to keep playing after the flop (sure, sometimes you'll have an overpair to the board, but those situations will bust you more often than they double you through). A call is okay, but high variance.

3) Going all-in on that flop against 2 opponents is just suicide. If you got away with it, it's a miracle.

Martin Aigner
05-24-2003, 01:32 PM
BTW, I found "If you really want to do it here because you've never seen two cards as good as TT, then just do it pre-flop." pretty funny /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Regards

Martin Aigner

AJo Go All In
05-24-2003, 08:30 PM
i bet because i thought there was a good chance i could get JJ and QQ off the hand, which seemed to be very likely candidates as to LP's holding.

as it turned out, MP folded and LP called with AQo and spiked a Q on the river to bust me. is there any merit to this call at all? what does he put me on, AJ? (maybe he found out my twoplustwo name somehow)

Nottom
05-24-2003, 11:10 PM
Calls like that are exactly why you can get away with this sort of play in the one table tourneys. Most of the smaller ones I tend to play ($20 or less) have between 1-4 decent players and a bunch of people who just want to push all-in with the first ace or PP they see.

Al_Capone_Junior
05-25-2003, 09:24 PM
I think it was a dangerous play. Maybe with a queen hitting the flop, but too many people will reraise with hands that will leave you bescrewed with that flop.

al