PDA

View Full Version : Poker Stars VS Party

Ogre
10-08-2005, 10:40 PM
Whats the difference between 100+9s on party and 100s (turbo and regular) sngs on pokerstars? Should i start out at a lower limit if im playing my first ever PS sng?

raptor517
10-09-2005, 12:09 AM
more chips, more play, more skill, roi will be higher, $/hr likely lower. holla

handsome
10-09-2005, 12:13 AM
The turbos on Stars become a crapshoot later on. Stars is also 9-handed (slightly different payouts) and the blind levels are time-based, obviously..

TheNoodleMan
10-09-2005, 12:20 AM
Having just played my first stars turbo, I have to say that I was totally out of my confort zone. Between looking for my own chip count when it was on me to call, trying to get poker ace to work, and the unexpected ante I was enviromentally overwhelmed. If someone who plays stars regularly could offer a few tips about the interface, I'd be grateful for them.
I know its just client-shock but damn, I just wasn't ready to learn to walk all over again.

Dr_Jeckyl_00
10-09-2005, 12:32 AM
I signed up and played at stars for the 1st time today and it was awkward... but I like the lower rake... regular games are WAY TOO LONG, but the turbo is nice and quick. I have not yet tried to figured out how one less player and a lower rake at stars affects my return vs Party's structure... 2 for 2 ITM... that is pretty cool /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Hendricks433
10-09-2005, 12:39 AM
Chip count is in top left corner. Just have more time to wait till you start making moves and pushing. Turbos are defiently beatable.... Wait what am I saying theyre impossible to win everyone go to Party!!! STARS SUCKS! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dr_Jeckyl_00
10-09-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Chip count is in top left corner. Just have more time to wait till you start making moves and pushing. Turbos are defiently beatable.... Wait what am I saying theyre impossible to win everyone go to Party!!! STARS SUCKS! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that I started pushing too soon at stars... oh well, I will adjust next game. Thanks

Mr_J
10-09-2005, 12:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but I like the lower rake

[/ QUOTE ]

Regular stars tournies have the same fee...turbos are lower.

Well, maybe this is all a good thing. I've got bonuses to clear at stars /images/graemlins/wink.gif

10-09-2005, 12:47 AM
If you turn player images on, your chip count will always be visible besdie your cards (rather than be hidden behind your cards). You can turn individual images off one by one if they are distracting.

Ogre
10-09-2005, 01:25 AM
2 firsts 1 second 1 third 1 OOTM
playing 100+9 regulars and 105+9 turbos W00t!!!

why do the turbos have $5 extra buyin?

eastbay
10-09-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

why do the turbos have $5 extra buyin?

[/ QUOTE ]

Presumably to give a little less rake per buy-in dollar.

eastbay

Ogre
10-09-2005, 01:29 AM
can you hide full tables?

TruFloridaGator
10-09-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Ogre
10-09-2005, 02:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sucks

TruFloridaGator
10-09-2005, 02:23 AM
Never bothered me, the registering ones are always at the top of the buy-in level and you can't join them all at the same time anyway. Have to wait until one fills up.

TruFloridaGator
10-09-2005, 02:31 AM
More people spite call more pushes because they see their big stack of 5000 and see your stack of 1200 and say "I Have 5k in chips it wont matter". Not that this doesn't happen on party, but it tends to happen more on PS in my experience. I tend to be more aggressive because of this though and it works. Once it gets to 200/400 each steal is so crucial, that you can easily take over an SNG and often win them because of it. 25/50 is annoying and it's always tempting to burn off chips but you can do a combination of limping with pairs and raising in position.
Further, you sometimes get caught in tricky positions where the blinds are about to go up, too much to push, but you don't want to raise yourself down to a point where you're going to below 8 or 9x for the next level and about to get blinded more. Once again, it happens on party, but more often because of the time and the quickness of everything going up. Catches you off guard. I tend to push 11xs every now & then because of this.

Ogre
10-09-2005, 02:59 AM
what buyin are you playing that people are spite calling you?

Ogre
10-09-2005, 03:30 AM
over 100% ROI over 13 tournys. this better be sustainable

TheNoodleMan
10-09-2005, 03:37 AM
Ok, I just played my 3rd turbo and I took first with quad queens on the last hand. I am officially comfortable. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ogre
10-09-2005, 03:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I just played my 3rd turbo and I took first with quad queens on the last hand. I am officially comfortable. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My AA lost to A2 on the bubble but im still comfortable!

TheNoodleMan
10-09-2005, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you turn player images on, your chip count will always be visible besdie your cards (rather than be hidden behind your cards). You can turn individual images off one by one if they are distracting.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you very much.
My initial instinct was to turn the images off to keep things similar to what I'm used to. Poker Ace was covering my chipstack in the upper lefthand corner. All of this is pretty simple, but when you are suddenly adjusting to a whole new interface, and feeling somewhat financialy pressured to do so, it is a little intimidating. After playing a couple of tourneys at stars I am looking forward to the future. I can adapt. Let's play some [censored] poker!