PDA

View Full Version : Stupidest Comment On Annika - Winner

Bill Murphy
05-24-2003, 02:31 AM
"Many expressed sympathy for Sorenstam's game efforts and outstanding first round, but others were more realistic.

“In the end of the day, the great game of golf has spoken,” said Fort Worth’s Mark Brooks. "

Yeah, Brooksie, and it said that "She kicked your ass by a shot, and oh yeah, nice career after the '96 PGA, Mark."

"In the end of the day", jesus, whatta clown.

BTW, just for the record: I never said that Flicka didn't deserve the sponsor exemp(VJ & Beem are morons on this point; Mark Rypien=say no more), but I did say she had no shot at making the cut, and the underrated toughness of Colonial, & her nerves & putter were the reasons why. Guess I wuz right... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Props to Flicka for sandbagging to John Smoltz when she played w/him & Tiger, and making sure everybody knew about it. Drove the +/- line up, then she makes a killing betting on herself under. Kinda like Bobby Riggs agin BJK in reverse! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

HDPM
05-24-2003, 02:49 AM
Yeah, I figured she'd miss the cut, but she shot better than I expected. Good for her.

Clarkmeister
05-24-2003, 02:52 AM
Its been talked about on this forum for a long time how the thing that would kill her in the end wasn't length, but rather her short game. We were all spot-on calling that one.

A few things in her favor were that the pressure was intense and it *was* her first time playing a PGA event. I don't know the stats but I'd guess that most players don't make the cut their first time out.

OTOH it was a weak field (15 of the top 20 money earners were absent), a small field, and the course was about as short as PGA courses get, while Day 1 played nice and soft, really giving her optimal conditions. She beat 11 out of 112 opponents with quite a bit in her favor. I think its fair to say she'd get annihilated at a TPC course with a top field.

I was actually rooting for her and have liked her for a long time. She showed a ton of heart and class and its hard not to feel for her. Her press conference was tough to watch. But despite all the feelgood stories written on day 1, for me at least, it really pounded home just how big the gap was. Her repeated comments of "I don't belong out here" and "I was overmatched by (everything)" were painfully honest and dead on.

But my girl Michelle's got next. She just needs some time.

scalf
05-24-2003, 07:41 AM
/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif i think she's a big winner...went out tried something..."put it all out there"...hey too many afraid to try like that...never really live life...jmho..gl /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

Easy E
05-24-2003, 09:05 AM