PDA

View Full Version : 2001FP still monitor of choice?

Subfallen
10-08-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm finally getting a decent computer with some decent displays, and I need to know if dual 2001FP's is still the way to go?

TStoneMBD
10-08-2005, 03:49 PM
yes no other way about it. you could get the $900 model if you wanted to but its unpractical. 1900x1200 24" widescreen.

handsome
10-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Yea, the Dell 2001fp has been the Ipod of the 20" flat panel world. Better and cheaper than the competition.

Dell on a whole has really become the Walmart of computing. At one point, the least expensive route to a desktop computer was to build it yourself, but Dell changed that.

Subfallen
10-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Would spending the extra $500 to get a built-in dual set up like the TigerVista Duo 20S here (http://digitaltigers.com/tigervista-duo.shtml) be worth it?

jba
10-08-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes no other way about it. you could get the $900 model if you wanted to but its unpractical. 1900x1200 24" widescreen.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are talking about the 2405fpw it was recently on sale with an inspiron for $1100, if you turned the pc on ebay the monitor came out to 500-600. So there are specials. I have one 2001fp now but my next monitor will probably be this one.

jba
10-08-2005, 04:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would spending the extra $500 to get a built-in dual set up like the TigerVista Duo 20S here (http://digitaltigers.com/tigervista-duo.shtml) be worth it?

[/ QUOTE ]

the cheapeast setup with 1600x1200 on there is $2000...

TStoneMBD
10-08-2005, 04:12 PM
if you want the monitor stand like that get the 2 2001fps and buy the stand yourself.

heres a site that sells it for like 250:

http://www.lcdmonitorarm.com/lcd_arm_5.htm

they are all over the place. search google for lcd monitor stand or dual lcd monitor stand.

10-08-2005, 04:15 PM
I plan to get one at the end of the month when Dell's quarter ends and there might be some really good deals. Right now you can get one for $467.60 shipped, which is the best deal I've seen recently, and is the same as the deal you could get last week.

F09Q6K6G63M49K (30% off coupon)
82JMMHN1GRWXLZ ($60 off coupon)

Total Price = $467.60 shipped

MisterW

jwvdcw
10-08-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea, the Dell 2001fp has been the Ipod of the 20" flat panel world. Better and cheaper than the competition.

Dell on a whole has really become the Walmart of computing. At one point, the least expensive route to a desktop computer was to build it yourself, but Dell changed that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to go too far off on a tangent, but isn't the IPOD more expensive than nearly every one of the competitors? I know that I bought a 40 GB Nomad a few years back for $225 and at that time IPODs with 40 GB were over $400.

Subfallen
10-08-2005, 04:39 PM
Thx TStone and MisterW for your help, much appreciated.

jwvdcw
10-18-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to go too far off on a tangent, but isn't the IPOD more expensive than nearly every one of the competitors? I know that I bought a 40 GB Nomad a few years back for $225 and at that time IPODs with 40 GB were over $400.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to be buying my 2nd Dell monitor. Do I just go to dell.com or do I have to order it as a "business" to get these special deals?

kenberman
10-18-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to be buying my 2nd Dell monitor. Do I just go to dell.com or do I have to order it as a "business" to get these special deals?

[/ QUOTE ]

for some deals you need to be a business, for others you can't be. look out for deals at fatwallet.com and gotapex.com

edit: for the deal listed above, you just go to Dell Home (dell.com)

kenberman
10-18-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if you are talking about the 2405fpw it was recently on sale with an inspiron for $1100, if you turned the pc on ebay the monitor came out to 500-600. So there are specials. I have one 2001fp now but my next monitor will probably be this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats exactly what I did. a 2405fpw for $560 is a much better deal than a 2001fp for $450.

actually, I bought 2 of these sets, sold 1 monitor + 1 computer, and kept 1 of each for about $750 /images/graemlins/smile.gif

a little bit of legwork can get you some great deals

Unabridged
10-18-2005, 05:11 PM
my 2001FP just arrived a minute ago /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Mempho
10-18-2005, 05:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I plan to get one at the end of the month when Dell's quarter ends and there might be some really good deals. Right now you can get one for $467.60 shipped, which is the best deal I've seen recently, and is the same as the deal you could get last week.

F09Q6K6G63M49K (30% off coupon)
82JMMHN1GRWXLZ ($60 off coupon)

Total Price = $467.60 shipped

MisterW

[/ QUOTE ]

I just bought one of these from dealnews.com...great price.

10-18-2005, 05:36 PM
they are one sale now for $427

10-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks for mentioning this! I checked out the website and just finished buying a 2001FP. This will be my first decent monitor ever /images/graemlins/cool.gif Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go hit the tables to pay for the darned thing!

MicroBob
10-18-2005, 07:59 PM
I got mine a couple hours ago.

I likey. But my sensitive eyes aren't liking it yet as I'm squinting a lot and will have to experiment around with ambient lighting (I'm extremely light sensitive sometimes).
Also experimenting with the brightness, contrast and color settings of course.

but overall I think it's pretty terrific (but I haven't been on those other models before)

Unabridged
10-18-2005, 08:21 PM
i'm still getting used to it also. it looks like its bowed inwards because my old monitor was so curved. i'm still waiting on my new video card so i can hook up my tv and old monitor. then i will attempt to watch any seinfeld episode + surf web + 4 table. it will be glorious

4thstreetpete
10-18-2005, 08:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got mine a couple hours ago.

I likey. But my sensitive eyes aren't liking it yet as I'm squinting a lot and will have to experiment around with ambient lighting (I'm extremely light sensitive sometimes).
Also experimenting with the brightness, contrast and color settings of course.

but overall I think it's pretty terrific (but I haven't been on those other models before)

[/ QUOTE ]

I got mine last week and it's fantastic. I had considered getting other pricier models but glad I didn't. I can't believe I've been playing poker all this time on my crappy crt.

One thing I don't like about it though is that it's too bright. I used the dvi cable and set it to DVI-D setting. Reading the manual it says if you use this setting you won't be able to adjust the contrast which blows, however there are no other setting to use if you use the dvi input.

Microbob did you use these settings? or did you use the vga cable to adjust your brightness. I'm also light sensitive and like to have my monitor just a little darker.

MicroBob
10-18-2005, 09:03 PM
i just used the regular cable to plug into my laptop.

i have little idea what the different cables are for what because I'm pretty incompetent.

I think that if I set up some different lamps and lights around it I'll be okay.
Also not sitting too close to it should make a difference too.

I frequently have these problems...plus I had a pretty late night and little sleep, so I'm not sure if it will be so bad for me when my eyes are better rested.

patient77
10-18-2005, 11:27 PM
just wanted to give everyone a head's up that the deal is live till the 20th. just picked mine up for $433.60 shipped.

patient77

jwvdcw
10-18-2005, 11:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm at the "view my cart" screen and I enter these codes and they do nothing. The page just refreshes, but no discount is taken! What gives?

witeknite
10-19-2005, 12:23 AM
To anyone that would like to dim their LCD but can't use the brightness settings on the screen.

Right click on a empty area of your desktop and select properties. Go to the settings tab and click advanced. One of the tabs (or an option on a tab) under advanced should allow you tone down the brightness. It will probably say something along the lines of "Color correction". Hope this helps.

WiteKnite