PDA

View Full Version : Recomend An Electric Razor Please

tonypaladino
10-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Couldn't find any posts on electric razors.
I've been useing a Gillete Mach 3, but I've been thinking about trying an electric. Any suggestions on brands/models and how much I'd be looking to pay. I'm not sure I want to spend more than $50 on something I'm not sure I'll like.

Thanks
TONY

Luv2DriveTT
10-08-2005, 02:11 PM
I spent 14 years using an electric, I switched when the Mach 3 Turbo came out. I don't reccomend a switch for you.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

razor
10-08-2005, 02:21 PM
M3 Power

Also use a good quality shaving cream, I've used Zirh and L'Occitane products and recommend them.

10-08-2005, 02:32 PM
Isn't it a ton cheaper in the long run to get electric? Is disposable a lot better?

razor
10-08-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is disposable a lot better?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, Yes. Quality shaving cream is also important. But it will cost you more.

Spend a few bucks on an M3 Power and some good shaving cream and try it. Then decide if the quality of shave you are getting is worth the extra cost.

ghostface
10-08-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
M3 Power

[/ QUOTE ]

tonypaladino
10-08-2005, 04:12 PM
So the jist I'm getting is that I will get a worse shave from an electric, rotary type razor, is that right? How much worse would it be?
The main reason I'm considering switching is for convinience. It seems like it would be easier to shave with an electric. Is this the case for anyone who uses one?

BusterStacks
10-08-2005, 04:17 PM
it's been my experience that you'll spend just as long trying to be satisfied with the shave you get from an electric as using a disposable.

Shilly
10-08-2005, 04:56 PM
I used a Mach 3 (then switched to the Power) for about five years, then switched to a Norelco electric this summer. It takes a few weeks for your skin to adjust to the electric razor, and after it does, you can get a somewhat close shave. Not as close as a blade, but also not as irritating. Also, it's nice to be able to shave in a minute or two and without having to use shaving cream.

And if you ever need a really close shave for some reason, you can always just use a spare blade.

tonypaladino
10-08-2005, 05:02 PM
how much was the norelco?

Ray Zee
10-09-2005, 09:45 PM
okay tony here is the scoop. the noreleco will give a close shave for an electric. works well on short hairs so if you dont shave every day get a remington preferably an old one with the square head. they shave long hairs the best.
an electric new ones anyway last about 45 minutes without a recharge which takes an hour. 40 to 90 bucks gets one. shave in the car if you want. all said. if a real close shave is important for whatever reason a blade is best. so is carrying water up the hill in a wooden bucket.

Blarg
10-09-2005, 10:09 PM
I've always loved my Panasonics, the ones you can use in or out of the shower. The battery lasts a very long time compared to Norelcos, the cut is good, it doesn't go kaput at rough handling, and I haven't had one go out on me yet. Previously I have only used Norelcos, and have had so many problems with them it's ridiculous. Real happy with Panasonics now.

Side note - I've never had a Pansonic nose hair clipper that hasn't gone out on me in a couple of weeks. You know, the little battery powered ones with the tiny round head you stick up yer nose.

tonypaladino
10-09-2005, 10:10 PM
I bought a $40 norelco double action with pop up trimmer

Ray, I wish I'd seen your post before I got it, I would have tried the remington, b/c I do tend to let the stubble get long before I shave. However, with the norelco being easier to use, I could easily shave every day like I should.

I always put off shaving b/c I'm lazy, on school days I am running late, and my bathroom drain sucks and after clogging the pipe with hair, I have to spend 5 minutes pouring and flushing draino. (Wont be a problem any more)

I'm reasonably satisfied with the shave. My neck got irritated as all hell, but some mosturizing after shave lotion cleared it up.

I still have 1/2 a 20 pack of mach 3 blades from Costco, so I will hang onto those for when I need a close shave.

Thanks guys

TONY P
Vote Forest! (http://www.futureready.org/school/?pid=01541435)

CrashPat
10-09-2005, 10:22 PM
I use a Norelco, think it was about 40 or 50 bucks. It does an okay job, and is much less work. I like it because I am so lazy. That and I think it is probably cheaper in the not so long run.

Blarg
10-09-2005, 10:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my bathroom drain sucks and after clogging the pipe with hair, I have to spend 5 minutes pouring and flushing draino. (Wont be a problem any more)

My neck got irritated as all hell, but some mosturizing after shave lotion cleared it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

For both points -- shave in the shower. The moist heat makes your beard much softer and easier to cut, and you can rinse out the hairs from your beard and shaver very quickly. You can make multiple passes really quickly, saving time, and lessening the aggravation at making multiple passes that can lead to clumsiness that wears and tears at your skin.

ThaSaltCracka
10-09-2005, 10:44 PM
what? you are looking to switch from a disposable to an electric? why????

NateDog
10-09-2005, 10:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
M3 Power

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

tonypaladino
10-09-2005, 10:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lazyness.

ThaSaltCracka
10-09-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lazyness.

[/ QUOTE ]dude, shaving with a razor is faster.

In general, shaving sucks anyways.

tonypaladino
11-20-2005, 05:20 PM
5 Weeks later....

I am not going to mail the electric shaver back to Norelco for a refund since they have a 60 day satisfaction guarantee. I should have listened to OOT and never bought it. I've used it 4 times in the last 5 weeks and it sucks ass. I'm back on my Mach 3.

11-20-2005, 06:23 PM
I always hated electrics, but kept one on hand for emergencies and travel. I few months back my old crappy one quit and I bought a Remington Titanium Microscreen. I actually like it. Not as good as the Mach 3, but an acceptable shave (and I have a tough beard). Now I probably use it a couple of times a week.

PokerFink
11-20-2005, 06:46 PM
It sounds like you bought a POS electric razor. What did you expect?

A good electric razor gives a very close shave in much less time. I use the Braun Activator and I can't ever see myself going back to a razor. No irritation, no cuts, no bleeding, no need for shaving cream.

It also takes a few weeks for your face to get used to it. You can't use it five times and decide you don't like it. For the same reason, you shoulden't switch back and forth between an electric and a razor. (Well, thats what all the electric razor companies say... it could be BS).

astroglide
11-21-2005, 01:19 AM
you shouldn't even bother with an electric if you're putting $40 into it