PDA

View Full Version : Is there a book that says to push when on a draw?

10-08-2005, 01:58 PM
I just don't get why so many on Party do this? Who is recommending this to them?

betgo
10-08-2005, 02:04 PM
What's wrong with pushing on a draw? It is a standard semibluff.

It depends on the strength of the draw, the board, the depth of stacks to the amount in the pot, the number and nature of opponents, etc. Sometimes it's a good play and sometimes it's a bad play.

Lloyd
10-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Yes. And it's frequently the best move.

MLG
10-08-2005, 02:26 PM
I am, as are a lot of other good posters on this board.

betgo
10-08-2005, 02:42 PM
Is there a book that says not to push with a draw?

Army Eye
10-08-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just don't get why so many on Party do this? Who is recommending this to them?

[/ QUOTE ]

Super System for one..

cferejohn
10-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Pushing on a draw, especially when you have a draw that may make you a small favorite (like you have 2nd pair + a flush draw or 2 overcards and an open-ender and you suspect opponent has top pair) is pretty standard. Are you talking about massively-overbet pushing on a draw? Well, if it is one of the situations above, there's nothing wrong with it really. If they are on only a flush or straight draw (i.e. ~2:1 underdog), well, then you should pretty much be happy with it, although you'll have to deal that if you call with the best hand, 1 time in 3 you're going to lose. Is your question being answered?

betgo
10-08-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If they are on only a flush or straight draw (i.e. ~2:1 underdog), well, then you should pretty much be happy with it,

[/ QUOTE ]

A flush draw without overcards, a pair, or a straight draw is generally a 3-2 underdog to a pair. A straight draw without overcards may be a 2-1 underdog to a pair.

Even if you are the underdog, with pot odds and folding equity, a push can be EV+.

Super System suggests pushing with draws in deep stack cash games, presumbably after your opponent raised you flop bet in a pot that was raised preflop.

With shallow money in tournaments, there are more opportunities to push with a draw. In a lot of cases the only choices are to push or fold.

Since OP is annoyed with people pushing with draws, it is probably effective.