PDA

View Full Version : A Short History of the World

Zeno
10-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Pestilence and famine contributed to fill up the measure of the calamities of Rome. The first could only be imputed to the just indignation of the gods; but (AD 189 [during the reign of Commodus]) a monopoly of corn, supported by the riches and power of the minister [Cleander], was considered the cause of the second. The popular discontent, after it had circulated in whispers, broke out in the assembled circus. The people quitted their favorite amusements for the more delicious pleasure of revenge, rushed in crowds towards a palace in the suburbs, one of the Emperor’s retirements, and demanded, with angry clamors, the head of the public enemy.

Cleander, who commanded the Praetorian Guards, ordered a body of cavalry to sally forth, and disperse the seditious multitude. The multitude fled with precipitation towards the city; several were slain, and many more were trampled to death: but when the cavalry entered the streets, their pursuit was checked by a shower of stones and darts from the roofs and windows of the houses. The foot guards, who had been long jealous of the prerogatives and insolence of the Praetorian cavalry, embraced the party of the people. The tumult became a regular engagement, and threatened a general massacre. The Praetorians, at length, gave way, oppressed with numbers; and the tide of popular fury returned with redoubled violence against the gates of the palace, where Commodus lay, dissolved in luxury, and alone unconscious of the civil war.

It was death to approach his person with the unwelcome news. He would have perished in this supine security, had not two women, his elder sister Fadilla, and Marcia, the most favored of his concubines, ventured to break into his presence. Bathed in tears, and with disheveled hair, they threw themselves at his feet; and with all the pressing eloquence of fear, discovered to the affrighted emperor, the crimes of the minister, the rage of the people, and the impending ruin, which, in a few minutes, would burst over his palace and person. Commodus started from his dream of pleasure, and commanded that the head of Cleander should be thrown to the people. The desired spectacle instantly appeased the tumult.

-From: A History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Vol 1 by Edward Gibbons

El Barto
10-08-2005, 02:00 PM
If OOT doesn't care about Commodus, why would we? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, I find ancient history very interesting. The miniseries I, Claudius covered about 100 years of history. I wish they would do a new series covering the next 400 years of history.

Myrtle
10-08-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If OOT doesn't care about Commodus, why would we? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Actually, I find ancient history very interesting. The miniseries I, Claudius covered about 100 years of history. I wish they would do a new series covering the next 400 years of history.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I second that wish. I Claudius was superb TV.

Zeno
10-08-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I Claudius was superb TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that was a good series; It would be great if it were shown again. Also, the books the series was based on I Claudius and Claudius the God, by Robert Graves, are well worth reading.

-Zeno

Felix_Nietsche
10-08-2005, 03:14 PM
I third
"I Claudius" was a quality mini series.
Brian Blessed was a fantastic Augustus and Derek Jacoby was a great Claudius. I've probably seen that series a dozen times.

10-08-2005, 03:30 PM
I'm disappointed. I thought for sure someone would find a way to work this into a comparison of GWB, NOLA, etc.

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Cyrus
10-09-2005, 08:13 AM
BTW, it's Gibbon. [ QUOTE ]
Commodus commanded that the head of Cleander should be thrown to the people. The desired spectacle instantly appeased the tumult.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who is our Commodus and who Cleander?

And the book by Robert Graves does not read as well as the TV series is watched. Ah, British television!

http://www.linsdomain.com/Derek/i,claudius/oldking10.jpg

Zeno
10-09-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, it's Gibbon.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Thanks. I have, for some strange reason, made that mistake a few other times also.

[ QUOTE ]
Who is our Commodus and who Cleander?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. I'll ponder on this one for a while. I do not wish to make a hasty decision.

-Zeno