PDA

View Full Version : What would you do in this situation?

Justaloser
05-23-2003, 05:53 PM
online multi table tourney. I forget the blinds. around 800/1600.
I'm sorry for not having more facts, but I just cant remember them.

40 players left, 20 places pay. I'm 17th in chips.4500k

Early position raises, mp calls, I reraise with KK. EP goes allin about 5k, mp calls allin (had fewer chips).

What would you do? Call and try to secure top 10 or muck and wait for a better opportunity?

I called. EP had AQd, MP had KQh and I lost to ace on the flop.

I'm not posting this as a bad beat story. I feel I had the best hand, and got drawn out. It happens. Just wanted to get feedback on the situation.

Thanks

schroedinger
05-23-2003, 06:33 PM
I think I am missing the question, cause after the raise and re-raise, the all-in is attacking . . . well I calculate at nothing left in your stack (1600 + 1600 (raise) + 1600 (re-raise), = 4800 out of 4500). If your stack is even "next to nothing" you are committed, IMO.

If the raise puts you to a real decision, for a real change in tournament status, then you just have to start asking yourself what you think the guy is going all in with over your re-raise. As we have seen earlier, I am not good at answering these "judgment" questions. AA, QQ (thin), other PPs (?), AK, AQ. You are the favorite against everything other than the 6 AA pairs. So if, for example, the all in means AA, QQ, AK or AQ the total universe of hands out for the action is 36 (6 AA pairs, 6 QQ pairs, 8 AK combos, 16 AQ combos). 16.67% you are a 4/1 dog; 16.67% you are a 4/1 favorite and 66.67% you are something like a 7/3 favorite. If the all-in is coming from a player in some kind of desperate straits, your odds are even better. You might want to "weight" the probability of this player raising all-in with AA vs. the action he would take with QQ or AQ (for example, maybe he is all-in 100% of the time with AA; but your evaluation of him is that he would 80% probable to go all-in with QQ). The math is tedious but doable -- mostly it provides an after the fact diversion, as you are probably not going to bring out a calculator at the table.

The odds he has AA are at least 1 in 6 (unless there is a desperation factor in play) and probably greater. The odds that he has any A are around 5 in 6 and probably certain (unless he is matching KK, which I left out) and almost certainly no less than 2 in 3 (again unless there is some desperation factor).

You are unlikely to get a better hand than KK for the duration of the tournament, although there will certainly be hands where the others will have less strength than they do here.

Mike Haven
05-23-2003, 06:58 PM
you might be interested to read the wsop laydown (http://www.twoplustwo.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=261846&page=0& view=expanded&sb=5&o=14&fpart=) thread in the zoo

andy glazer laid down KK after an all in raise of his raise