PDA

View Full Version : Why are poker rooms so greedy?

10-08-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm surprised there isn't a poker room online that doesn't limit there rake to $2 instead of $3. You would still make millions and would give more winnings to the players. Why haven't we seen this yet?

IggyWH
10-08-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised there isn't a poker room online that doesn't limit there rake to $2 instead of $3. You would still make millions and would give more winnings to the players. Why haven't we seen this yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's like any other business, it's all about making money.

jedi
10-08-2005, 12:25 PM
You can look at is as greed, but it's about what the market wil bear. If we really felt that $3 rake was greedy, we'd stop there and play somewhere else. By the failures of no-rake poker rooms, we can see just how the general poker playing public sees rake.

turaho
10-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Because poker sites are in it to make money.

And it's easier to up the rake cap than to subtly rig your site in a way that's undetectable to everyone except a selected group of gifted individuals who post at the Zoo.

10-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Lets say I opened an online poker room (which I would love to do) and reduced the rake to $2 max. What do you think will happen? I already have a great vision of what my poker room would be so I would just need to market it right.

10-08-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lets say I opened an online poker room (which I would love to do) and reduced the rake to $2 max. What do you think will happen? I already have a great vision of what my poker room would be so I would just need to market it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a somewhat new site spamming RGP with exactly that right now...$2 rake plus a load more. What does it get you? About 10 real money players!

mbpoker
10-08-2005, 02:24 PM
It's not just about the cap - the structure of the rake table is very important too. Party, Stars, and Pacific all have $3 cap but the amount of rake they are taking is very different. As an example, if a site takes a flat $2 from each pot, they will rake more than any other site.

benfranklin
10-08-2005, 03:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lets say I opened an online poker room (which I would love to do) and reduced the rake to $2 max. What do you think will happen?

[/ QUOTE ]

You would be sitting there all by yourself, waiting for customers. And waiting. And waiting.

The good players go to a site because there are a lot of fish there. The more fish, the less important any small difference in rake. The fish go because of advertising, image, etc. They don't know what the rake is, and don't care.

[ QUOTE ]
I already have a great vision of what my poker room would be so I would just need to market it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

And all you need to market it right is a few million bucks for advertising. Nothing to it.

10-08-2005, 03:27 PM
I said a max of $2 not $2 every flop.

mbpoker
10-08-2005, 03:50 PM
I know what you said. What I said is that $2 maximum doesn't mean that the rake is lower.

If you are talking about sites being greedy then the point is to reduce the rake, and the maximum rake is only one small part of it.

jwvdcw
10-08-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
failures of no-rake poker rooms

[/ QUOTE ]

what exactly happened here?

10-08-2005, 04:50 PM
You think that is bad? Go to a BM and you will see rape....or rake, whatever you call it. A typical tourney I have seen is $40+$20 online that would typically be $40+$4! Small difference dont you think? At low limit tables the rake is between 10-20 percent every hand including ones with no flops. Of course there is good reason for this....most noteable lower overhead online.

mosquito
10-08-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You think that is bad? Go to a BM and you will see rape....or rake, whatever you call it. A typical tourney I have seen is $40+$20 online that would typically be $40+$4! Small difference dont you think? At low limit tables the rake is between 10-20 percent every hand including ones with no flops. Of course there is good reason for this....most noteable lower overhead online.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never seen rake with no flop, and greater than 10%
only if you count the JP drop (well, there are some 1-4
stud games that take 2$ at 10.......)

Ogre
10-08-2005, 05:25 PM
why are you so greedy that you need to take money from other people and not want to give any back to the site that makes it all possible?

mosquito
10-08-2005, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why are you so greedy that you need to take money from other people and not want to give any back to the site that makes it all possible?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why was this in response to me???? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

UATrewqaz
10-08-2005, 08:10 PM
Fish underestimate the impact of the rake.

Jimbo
10-08-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Fish underestimate the impact of the rake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most winners state they pay more rake than the fish. Using that premise you are overestimating the impact of rake from the perspective of a fish.

10-09-2005, 06:03 PM
If there is preflop action at Foxwoods they take a dollar. Some dealers dont take it but they are supposed to. If everyone folds to the big blind, no money is taken, this is the only time. Also, $1 is taken on the flop, $1 when the pot is $10, $1 at $20/$30/$40. Ive seen similar in Vegas and AC although Foxwoods seems to be most excessive. Then you should tip the dealer when you are win a hand. Of course at higher limit tables, rake is less of a factor...